Drifting or bobber: what works for you?

• Drifting

Votes: 62 62.6%
  • Bobber

Votes: 43 43.4%

• Total voters
N
ninja2010
I'm extremely curious which style of steelheading is more effective for you, the OFFer - drifting or bobber? All variables notwithstanding, ie: skill and experience, time on water, conditions, bait, etc. do you get more hits on bobber or drifting? (Fish landed is not a requirement.)

So I invite you to contribute your vote here. If it's 50/50, then select both options. And if you only fish one of the styles exclusively, obviously that's the one that works for you, so vote accordingly.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
F
FishFinger
Ok... For years and years it was drift fishing, yarn flies, corkies, baits, yadda yadda. Then someone had the crazy notion to use crappy jigs for Steelhead... Utter insanity, until it began working really well.

I jumped into "jiggin" with both feet whipping out crazy patterns, gearing up and such..

Just when I think I got it figured out.. ( Catchin that is) I find this goofy OFF forum and the next thing I know; I got T-Boned by Spinners!

Sooooo, I gotta say both, as drifting is a classic method, while jiggin' is a new contender...

Reactions: OnTheFly
Troutski
Troutski
Nymphing...

Nymphing...

I started out nymphing with sinking line and took that style to my spinning gear and never looked back. By far I have caught more fish drifting my presentation than with a bobber, the natural way the presentation appears to the fish is what fills my tags. When bobber fishing I do prefer the slip setup more than the fixed method...

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
I gotta say the slip bobber. Easy to control your depth. Easy to swap what your using. Harder to lose your entire rig on the first cast.

P
PacRat
Drifting w/ eggs is my #1 go to, but other factors dictate other techniques. If I'm egg-poor, corkies, yarn and super secret scent.(shrimp and anise mix- shhhh;))

I'm new to throwing a bobber and worm and like it so far. I also like how a steelhead attacks a spinner so I throw them to riffles or when the water looks good. Heck, throw everything at them you can, but I start w/ the drift.

PacRat

B
bigdog
I drift for the most part but I'm not opposed to throwing a bobber on. The main reason I like to drift more then bobber is because I have a hard time getting the rigging to be as deep as I would want it. Never to sure if I have it in the right depth or not.

F
Fishtopher
I prefer to let the water/weather dictate what method I use. I like to drift more than float/bobber fishing though. a lot of the ol' timers I know refuse to use a slip float for winter Steel though. They just use the cork bobbers with the orange stopper to keep it at the desired depth. It seems to me that you would get a more "jiggy" presentation with a fixed float then a slip float.

To answer the o.p.'s question though, I get more hits drifting because I fish "drift water" primarily:D.

N
ninja2010
thanks for all your contributions, guys. it's been 5 days and it looks like drifting is the more effective method by a ratio of almost 2:1 based on the poll.

i've now tried both methods, and i've yet to interest a fish to bite - minor point.

anyhooo, i'm liking the bobber a lot better compared to drifting, coz:
a) i could fish all kinds of water; fast, slow, deep, shallow, etc.
b) i definitely do not lose as much gear
c) i can rig up anything under the bobber
d) i can cast more accurately (more weight)
e) i'm sure i can detect the bite easier (bobber down - no brainer)

so with all these factors, i'm definitely building more confidence in this method.

question is, if i keep fishing the bobber, will i be cutting my chances of getting bites since drifting seems to work so much better?

p.s. if any of you bobber guys want to share some tips/pointers, please let me know. i'd like to master this technique better.

M
mgdguy
GREAT question ninja....I fish bobber almost exclusively for some of the same reasons you mention. I'm looking forward to hearing from some of the more experienced anglers on this!

I
iliketofish
i think it all depends on the water you're fishing....personally, I'll drift fish in larger rivers (like the Columbia - or the Fraser up here in British Columbia) where the water is fast, deep and really wide...I will use a "cigar" or "dink" float (or bobber) in smaller, shallower rivers that aren't very wide and where the current is slower (flowing as fast as a good walking pace)....bobbers or floats aren't very effective in rivers or sloughs where there isn't a very strong current or no current at all...overall, I definitely prefer fishing with a bobber/float vs. drift fishing

tight lines!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I like to bring the whole show because different streches of water do better with different applications. My most effective method is pulling plugs from the drift boat. My second most effective methond has been tossing spoons (steelies). When I'm on the bank I have one rod set for drift fishing and one set with a bobber and one ready to go with a lure. I also bring along the spey rod. I keep working that spey rod because one of these days I'm going to catch a fish on that thing;). I think it goes back to the confidence thing what you feel confident fishing with is what works the best. Since I lack confidence I fish with everything:lol:

C
Catch 22
IR, if you want to gain confidence in that spey rod, you're gonna have to leave that other junk at home!! :D

Kinda like taking you're rifle and your bow. You know just in case it gets hard. LOL I say this because I'm just as guilty.

I used to take my skiis when I was learning to snowboard some 20 years ago. I would snowboard until I got mad and would go get my skiis. One morning, I finally left my skiis in the garage and headed off without them, figuring it was feast or famine. I really knew I was going to fail at it again. But I would know that it wasn't because I gave up. I didn't fail. In fact I improved more that day than all the times I gave up to early.

So take that spey and be one with it. Don't give up!! :cool:

Jason Bilyeu - Motivational Speaker to the Stars

Irishrover
Irishrover
C-22 for sure. Think I'll head up to Welches to the Fly Shop and take some lessons. I've had the rod for a couple of years, always trying to learn on my own...the hard way. I'm going up there on Sunday for a class on tying steelheads flies (the right way vs how I do it). ;)

N
ninja2010
c-22 has a good point, and so does irishrover...

i'm trying to limit myself to the bobber rod, and i always carry a spinner rod for those waters that the bobber cannot work. i've fished a lot of spinners, so i'm confident with that, but i'm trying to master the bobber - and i need so much help...

Y
youngbuck307
ninja when i first started fishing i was going to do a lot of drift fishing and did a lil bobber fishing until one day on EC.... i hooked up on bobber and jig and now thats my go to thing first fish on my own to the bank was taken on bobber and jig at the off hole... then next day at mciver...... now i use a lot of bobber and fish it normaly been getting away from drift fishing but keep at it..... still have yet to hook a fish drift fishing but now i have the bobber way down its just something i have got to do......... well let me know how u guys did on the coast if you still guys still went that thread kinda just stopped but when we do get the chance to hit the water together ill give you what pointers i got......

B
bigdog
youngbuck307 said:
ninja when i first started fishing i was going to do a lot of drift fishing and did a lil bobber fishing until one day on EC.... i hooked up on bobber and jig and now thats my go to thing first fish on my own to the bank was taken on bobber and jig at the off hole... then next day at mciver...... now i use a lot of bobber and fish it normaly been getting away from drift fishing but keep at it..... still have yet to hook a fish drift fishing but now i have the bobber way down its just something i have got to do......... well let me know how u guys did on the coast if you still guys still went that thread kinda just stopped but when we do get the chance to hit the water together ill give you what pointers i got......

Hey Tom your a little late on posting in this thread here man it's like a year old :lol:

Y
youngbuck307
yea i know but i wasn't around when it first got put up and hasnt always been sticky so thought i would put in my 2 cents on it.....

B
bigdog
youngbuck307 said:
yea i know but i wasn't around when it first got put up and hasnt always been sticky so thought i would put in my 2 cents on it.....

Yeah I just wanted to give you some crap about it.

M
Mike123
This is kinda a hard question...

Pretty much any kinda water can be float fished..
But there are places that you can't drift fish..

That being said I can't more fish drift fishing.. at least steelhead that is.
Plus I like drift fishing more.. Typically don't feel the bite with a float.

B
bigdog
Mike123 said:
This is kinda a hard question...

Pretty much any kinda water can be float fished..
But there are places that you can't drift fish..

That being said I can't more fish drift fishing.. at least steelhead that is.
Plus I like drift fishing more.. Typically don't feel the bite with a float.

I would have to agree with you and with drift fishing by feeling the bite I feel it makes it easier to get the set hook (sometimes) but I also like to fish with eggs and bottom drifting with eggs is hard to do with out going through ten times more eggs then when float fishing. So yeah there is a time and a place for both.

Look Tom you brought this thread back to life man:lol: