Drifting Main Stem

H
hotrats420
Hi all,

I've never drifted the Umpqua. A friend and I are going to check it out this weekend. Does anybody have suggestions on where we can put our drift boat in the water? Sinne we both don't know the river we'd need to find an area to drift that isn't too crazy.

I appreicate any advice you can offer. Have a great day!

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

hotrats420 said:
Hi all,

I've never drifted the Umpqua. A friend and I are going to check it out this weekend. Does anybody have suggestions on where we can put our drift boat in the water? Sinne we both don't know the river we'd need to find an area to drift that isn't too crazy.

I appreicate any advice you can offer. Have a great day!

Welcome to the site, the Mighty Umpqua.....you should pm GraphiteZen he is our Umpqua go to guy. I am sure he will at least tell you where not to go, again welcome to the site.
I am not the one to ask, the seat of my toon is still lodged in my back side;) the pucker factor of that river can be upwards of +10 or better.. Take care and be safe on the water.

Chuck

H
hotrats420
Thanks Chuck. I appreciate your help and advice.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
On second thought I would not recommend the James Wood to Osprey float right now, unless you talk to someone who has seen it recently.... I would seek out some people who float it this time of year.

*Paging SmallieWorld*

Troutski
Troutski
My first float...

My first float...

"Down to the Osprey Ramp (the next one in line). If you follow the river on down you can see it's fairly timid but there are a few tight spots. Don't try Osprey to Yellow Creek there is some gnarly water right before the takeout at Yellow Creek. "
This is where I made my first float, and last...I still can't believe I made it through there:rolleyes: I am starting to get a bit light headed...calm down - breath, breath...alright I feel much better now.
A ton of people use this river each year and do just fine, it is people like me that should be banned from there; just my opinion. The fishing is absolutly spectacular.....

Chuck

B
Backcastwards
Lots of rain today. The river is up and could mean a very wild float. I saw some steelies in the fish ladder yesterday. I guess if you gotta fish I'd say be careful.
Gary

M
MontanaMoose
Good morning

Good morning

I'm lovin' this rain Backcastwards....steel in the 'tanks' you say....this rain might trigger a
nice late run. I'm hopin' anyway.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose