drift rod n reel?

F
fish_on!!!
I'm gettin me a new rod + reel:) and I needed help on what I should invest in. I'm lookin into learning how to drift fish I know its a challenging technique but I also know its an affective one. So yeah I was looking in to a north west x at joes mainly because is says drift rod on it and its affordable:) and have no idea on a s/reel yet so any input would help a bunch on either!

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Well there have been a few posts on this subject, can look back on them to see what a few members have said. With that being said, I went and got a WW Grigs 8'6" rod and a shimano reel and have been very happy with it as of so far. It ran me about $100 for both and as we all know that is not a bad price for a good set up compared to some of the prices out there on some rods and reels. Fishermans has to different brand IM8 on sale right now one being $50 and the other I think was $30. Then you could get a good reel for around $30-$80 depending on what you want and what you want to spend I do say you should go with a shimano there are very nice.

O
osmosis
Big dog, that ww griggs is a very nice rod for spinners and plugs, but it's a bit too heavy for a drift fishing rod in most folks eyes.

You should be looking at something in the line rating of #8-12 for salmon and #6-12 for steelhead..

lamiglas X86MC beats all the g loomis rods I've ever used. it's an amazing rod. It will set you back atleast $200 though.

Pair that up with a abu garcia Revo and you're unstopable.

my real opinion: Almost every other rod you own can be a $40 2x4. if you really want to drift fish well, go big and dont shoot yourself in the foot saving some money.. This is one type of fishing where extreme sensitivity is absolutely imperative.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
the north x north west rod sare made by WW griggs, and most of them labeled "salmon drifting" are #10-20. Too heavy.

B
bigdog
osmosis said:
the north x north west rod sare made by WW griggs, and most of them labeled "salmon drifting" are #10-20. Too heavy.

Hey be nace to my rod Alen:lol: what were the rods you had on your boat when I was with you I can't remember but I thought I saw them in the store and they were a good price as far as I know not expencive at all

O
osmosis
Hey I didn't rip on your rod. its just too heavy for drift fishing.
The rods we used that day are cheap celilo's. My loaners are cheap rods, I don't trust other people with my lamiglas rods..

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Celilo makes for a pretty decent side drift machine, but a little faster action, like Osmosis, and myself at least prefers, would shine through the crap that is in the same price range. Shimano makes a couple cheapo spinning rods that i like to snipe steelhead, and coho with. The Sojurn, if you want to go uber cheap. Super fast action, for stabbing those wiley steel hard, and rated at like 6-10, and a 6-12 or 14. Perfect for spin drifting steelhead. Believe it or not the Sojurn has, for me anyhoo, a little better sensitivity than the spendier Shimmy counterparts due to the way slower actions, and heavier weights available in the more expensive variety. If they made one in an 8 foot 6, or 9 foot version rated at 6-10, it would be, "goodnight fish..." A steelhead sidedrifters special.

F
fish_on!!!
a lil steep

a lil steep

Thanks got a whole day to drive back n forth I'm Thinkn long sensitive and 8-12line and a good warranty;) is that the heaviest u'd go is 15 too heavy.I saw a buzz ramzy 9' either 8-12 or ?-15 on sale at joes I liked felt super sensative!

B
bigdog
osmosis said:
Hey I didn't rip on your rod. its just too heavy for drift fishing.
The rods we used that day are cheap celilo's. My loaners are cheap rods, I don't trust other people with my lamiglas rods..

I know you weren't just giving you a hard time. I'm thinking about getting a different one for the drifting.

O
osmosis
8-12 is as heavy as I go for drift rods. 8-15 may work but you could loose some feel.

I always suggest when you're holding a rod in the store - from about 1 inch above the floor, very gently tap the tip top guide on the floor. Judge how it transmits that "tick" into your hand and wrist.

F
fish_on!!!
If I go cheap I was going to go for a celilo 9'6 I think or was it jus 9', 8-12 rod for 35 bucks.if I go cheap is this the way to go? I'll b paying more for my reel which is 40 bucks shimano morona(4get how to spell it)anywhoo I figure it'll b an alright pair to start with... Right?

F
fish_on!!!
sodona

sodona

My mistake shimano sadona not marona!lol

A
ArcticAmoeba
The 9' Celilo is a pretty good choice, especially for the price. A friend uses them on his boat for side drifting, and the only gripe, him, and I have, is that we would like a faster action, otherwise they are very nice. It is still a very sensitive rod, and it should suit you fancifully. Good Luck with the new set-up man!

F
fish_on!!!
thanx

thanx

Thanx all for all the the input I'll be sure to post all the fishes I catch with my new set up. Jus as soon as my comp is fixed(luckly for handheld devices or I'd b wwwless) thanx again!!!

F
Fishtopher
ArcticAmoeba said:
It is still a very sensitive rod, and it should suit you fancifully.

:clap:'nother good one...I swear you make up a new word in every post:lol:...:think:I need to hit the drawing board I guess;):D.

F
fish_on!!!
the more flimzy the better?

the more flimzy the better?

Ok so got the 9' 6'' 6-12 Celilo rod and havn 2nd thoughts for the 9' 6'' (4-10) and its way more flimzy.is the more flimzy the better?there's a pretty noticeable between the two as for the backbone but tappin the floor I felt not much of a difference. I also plan on usen it for salmon 2 so I jus went for the 6-12 but would the flimzy 4-10 work for both as a drift rod?

Last edited:
F
fish_on!!!
sedona 2500

sedona 2500

My reels capacity is 10/120 is that gonna b. Enough?

F
Fishtopher
fish_on!!! said:
My reels capacity is 10/120 is that gonna b. Enough?

;)Boy it better be huh!:lol::lol: Hopefully you never let a hot fish get 120 yards away from ya! If it gets that far, it aint stoppin bud!:lol:

Should be plenty unless you plan on fishin the Columbia for fall run Chinook with it.

F
FishWenKan
joes!!!

joes!!!

U got that at joes huh? was thinking about getting the same one I personally like the flimzy-er ones mainly because they launch spinners miles not sure wats better as for a drift rod for I have absolutly no experince at it. Sorry. Good luck!

A
ArcticAmoeba
For a lake, trout rod, the slower action, or flimsier feel will enable you to cast terminal farther, which is an advantage, as there is no real way to read a lakes water effectively to try to find the holding zones, or shipping lanes. Drift fishing is all about the sensitivity, you don't ever need to really just heave your stuff out there for the sake of distance. Drift fishing is more of a targeting game, not a mad-launch game. You want a rod, that not only has a fair amount of energy transmission, but a good feel to you, the possible future owner. If you feel drift fishing, that you need a slow stick, then by all means. Your best chance at getting really good at somethin, is simply being comfortable.