Drift fishing

brandon4455
brandon4455
hey guys im gearing up with some corkies and yarn and i was wondering if i posted some pictures if everyone would give me some pointers to better my rigit just shows the corky and yarn because ihavent got any lead yet..and pointers on drift fishing as well especially how how to rig your lead .components used here are 1 ot gamakatsu red octopus hooks glo bug bling baby pink yarn and pink and yellow spotted corkies with a bit of sparkle,berkley trilene smooth castin 14lb mono clear/blue. thanks,

brandon

• PICT0087.jpg
  • PICT0084.jpg
  • PICT0085.jpg
Last edited:
F
fish4life
Looks like it should work to me. I like to use flo red, hot pink, and glo with flo red stripes corkies in the second size up pink pearl is good to. I usually use size 1,2 or 1/0 hooks I like the black nickle ones but have caught fish on all color hooks. For yarn I like peachy king, shrimp, and white. I like to put smelly jelly special mix or sandshrimp. I ussually use pencil lead by attaching it of a tag of line connected to barrel swivel by crimping it on with pliers that way if you lead gets hung up a few jerks and your lead should come off. These arent the only colors I use but are ussually my top producers.

brandon4455
brandon4455
fish4life said:
Looks like it should work to me. I like to use flo red, hot pink, and glo with flo red stripes corkies in the second size up pink pearl is good to. I usually use size 1,2 or 1/0 hooks I like the black nickle ones but have caught fish on all color hooks. For yarn I like peachy king, shrimp, and white. I like to put smelly jelly special mix or sandshrimp. I ussually use pencil lead by attaching it of a tag of line connected to barrel swivel by crimping it on with pliers that way if you lead gets hung up a few jerks and your lead should come off. These arent the only colors I use but are ussually my top producers.

thanks for the tips they should really help out. and i just remembered my grandpa has about 3 coils of lead... SWEET! xD take care,

brandon

S
SantiamDrifter
I like fishin pink and white yarn balls on the nestucca in low water. And a mixture of red,pink's and orange's in any other kind of water. I see you tied the yarn on. I like the presentation you get with a yarn ball rather then just tying the yarn on above the hook. Unless plunking. 80% of the time tho Im fishing yarn balls with roe. The other 20% is in low water where I'll just fish the pink and white yarn balls dipped in egg juice/other scent.

When it comes to leader length I stick by the rule. High/dirty water short leader, Low/clear water long leader. I'll run anything from 18 inches to 32 inches. I also should say, I run everything under a float. Its just flat out more effective then drift fishing. I would suggest you master float fishing over drift fishing any day.

M
michigan_transplant
if you tie an egg loop and then put the yarn in there in between the yarn and hook you can swap out your yarn easier, if you aren't getting any bites. guy told me that if he doesn't get a hit in 10 minutes he switches something, corky or yarn or scent. sometimes nature does that for you when you break off on the bottom though.

also don't be afraid to go small. bigger isn't always better. ive seen guys go up to holes in the winter and catch fish on a corky you would normally use for summers. sometimes its all about something different. and remember what colors you get your strikes on, fish are so temperamental when it comes to colors. last year on the santiam it was purple. i walked down to some holes and people said they hadn't seen a fish pulled out all day, my buddys second cast with a purple corky......fish on.

brandon4455
brandon4455
there are some awesome tips guys.. couldn't thank you more.

brandon

brandon4455
brandon4455
SantiamDrifter said:
I like fishin pink and white yarn balls on the nestucca in low water. And a mixture of red,pink's and orange's in any other kind of water. I see you tied the yarn on. I like the presentation you get with a yarn ball rather then just tying the yarn on above the hook. Unless plunking. 80% of the time tho Im fishing yarn balls with roe. The other 20% is in low water where I'll just fish the pink and white yarn balls dipped in egg juice/other scent.

When it comes to leader length I stick by the rule. High/dirty water short leader, Low/clear water long leader. I'll run anything from 18 inches to 32 inches. I also should say, I run everything under a float. Its just flat out more effective then drift fishing. I would suggest you master float fishing over drift fishing any day.

o got a few cheap slip floats last week ill go for it ;)

T
Thuggin4Life
Its good to have a lot of colors. Using bait loops with a folded piece of yarn helps to change quickly. you can use smaller diameters of multiple pieces of yarn to get a blend of colors. sometimes i will tie a sneel knot with the yarn laying along the shank of the hook. I always peg my corkies with toothpicks to garuntee they will be right next to the hook. When buying yarn you should look into pop a top yarn. all natural so no feeling bad after loosing 20 rigs to those state record rock fish. and there are some great colors you don't find anywhere else. Pretie all your rigs the night before and still take the gear to tie more. bait loops on rigs you might not use bait on just in case. have your lead premade as well. i smash one end with plyers and poke a hole in it with needle nose plyers. I also tie my leader to the barrel and use the snap for lead. another cool way i for some reason stopped doing is use the rubber tubbing on the lead and force the snap through the tubing. if the weight snags you just loose it not the whole rig. don't go stand in line with guys useing 10' leaders.keep at it. i am giving up on drift fishing just because i suck at it but no reason to stop you from picking it up. many fish caught this way. good luck. oh also maybe try to pm big dog. he has a very interesting way to tie up drift rigs. might be your new favorite way.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Thuggin4Life said:
Its good to have a lot of colors. Using bait loops with a folded piece of yarn helps to change quickly. you can use smaller diameters of multiple pieces of yarn to get a blend of colors. sometimes i will tie a sneel knot with the yarn laying along the shank of the hook. I always peg my corkies with toothpicks to garuntee they will be right next to the hook. When buying yarn you should look into pop a top yarn. all natural so no feeling bad after loosing 20 rigs to those state record rock fish. and there are some great colors you don't find anywhere else. Pretie all your rigs the night before and still take the gear to tie more. bait loops on rigs you might not use bait on just in case. have your lead premade as well. i smash one end with plyers and poke a hole in it with needle nose plyers. I also tie my leader to the barrel and use the snap for lead. another cool way i for some reason stopped doing is use the rubber tubbing on the lead and force the snap through the tubing. if the weight snags you just loose it not the whole rig. don't go stand in line with guys useing 10' leaders.keep at it. i am giving up on drift fishing just because i suck at it but no reason to stop you from picking it up. many fish caught this way. good luck. oh also maybe try to pm big dog. he has a very interesting way to tie up drift rigs. might be your new favorite way.

not the best at tyng egg loop knots D: but i could practice i guess. if i can manage to get a little more cash ill be buying some lead surgical tubing,corkies,yarn,scent...ive tried this technique once while plunking. it does make it very easy to switch out colors and i also toothpick my corkies to the hook thanks andy,

brandon

M
mccarrel
Hey Guys,
Don't mean to start a flame war but I've been wondering what is the proper length for a leader for drift fishing. I've done ok using spinners and flies for summers and Coho but have heard you really need to learn to drift fish for winter steelhead. Going out to the Sandy on tuesday and might try out this method. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

J
JeannaJigs
I run 18-24" winter fishing

M
mccarrel
S
skunk
I tend to run the length by guestimate, hook at the reel and wt/swivel at the first guide (stripping guide on the fly rod).

J
JeannaJigs
I should've stated the only time I ever run more than 24" is clear sunny days during the summer and then my max is 36" All other times I run 18-24"

A
alseaalumaweld
clear water id be 3 to 4 foot

M
Mad dog
alseaalumaweld said:
clear water id be 3 to 4 foot

3 to 4 ft. under all conditions if you are drift fishing properly.

D
DYJ
for all my drift fishing I use from the end of my streched out arm to the middle of my chest... which is roughly 3 feet.

J
jawjacker
3 to 4 ft. under all conditions if you are drift fishing properly.
Much longer then that is considered very suspicious and you might be accused of attempting to do the wrong thing. A few weeks ago I went up to Foster dam just dinking around for trout and steelhead. The people their told me I wasn't going to catch anything because my leader was too short and it needed to be as long as my rod. lol! That's the kinda thing that gets fisheries closed down. It's happend before and it will happen again.

D
DYJ
not to mention how difficult it makes landing a fish with a 9 foot leader....

T
twostroke350twin
18-24 works for me

18-24 works for me

I use a bobber when I drift fish and that length seems to work for winters and summers.