Drift fishing with anti-reverse open

W
willson
So i was fishing yesterday on the tucca. Only my 5th time drift fishing and i had an idea. Maybe this is already a widely used practice and i just am a noob. :lol:

when you cast and set your bail, you start drifting and feel the weight against the rocks and watch/feel it move down the river with the current. once you reach a certain point in your line it starts to move in towards the bank obviously but what i started doing was leaving my anti reverse off so i could real backwards and let more line out that way my bait just keeps going down the same straight line it would if it didn't run out of line. it works pretty well. Granted i didn't catch any fish yesterday but i showed my buddy what i was doing and he caught a 14-15lb chromer. what do you guys/gals think?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Works great and helps you feel strikes when your line makes a little *ZIP* about 4 or 5 inches long.

H
halibuthitman
so... whats gonna happen to your knuckles when a chromer nails and runs....?

W
willson
halibuthitman said:
so... whats gonna happen to your knuckles when a chromer nails and runs....?

nothing would happen to my knuckles. all you do is turn on the anti reverse. its not like my hand is off the reel at any point in time. i have posed this same question in 2 other fishing forums and apparently a lot of people use this technique. :cool:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Wait we're talking about spinners.. Nevermind.

H
halibuthitman
well, then it sounds like a great way to do it, just thought if a guy was asleep at the wheel for a second... it could hurt!

Y
youngbuck307
My 2 centd but many won't agree. I never extend a drift for one reason line angel!! When drift fish most of ur stricks u feel come from the fish graving ur gear and line with waight keeps going till it snakes the fish in the side bowing ur line and giving u that rubber band feel. If ur targeting fish down river when u go to set the hook ur setting it back upstream out of his mouth. Not across the river driving that hook home. Yea u will hook some fish but not as many as if that fish were across from u instead of down river. This is why I fish my streach then take 3 steps down... While drift fishing normaly u are in the money zone for a few ft. If u are only tapping a few times and not racking the bottom. So moving small amounts is important not to pass up fish! Just something to think about

S
SantiamDrifter
Thats why you should get a baitcaster to drift fish with.

H
halibuthitman
SantiamDrifter said:
Thats why you should get a baitcaster to drift fish with.
it took about 20 minutes longer than I anticipated for this suggestion to show up...

Y
youngbuck307
Lol yea kinda why I bobber fish bait casters lot of time because there I do like to extend my drift! But yea was kinda thinking would be easer with a bait caster too!

G
GDBrown
Most people who are drift fishing spend more time out of the zone than in. When you cast, your OFFering has to decend to the proper depth and then is only there for five feet or so before it starts the accent back to the surface. I watch with dismay as guys will toss their OFFering straight out in front of them and then swing it downstream until it is almost to the bank before retrieving it. It never gets to the bottom or is so heavy that it bounces across the bottom during the swing. It's like they are swinging a fly only they have corky & yarn or eggs and it is traveling sideways in the current! They don't seem to get many strikes and then leave discouraged?

G
GDBrown
The latest technique I have heard that's doing well is boondoggin from a driftboat with a float and jig. Anyone here tried that?

H
halibuthitman
GDBrown said:
The latest technique I have heard that's doing well is boondoggin from a driftboat with a float and jig. Anyone here tried that?

ive seen guys doin that with nymphs and indicator from drift boats for 20 years... and since jig fishing is an exact replication of that... well I guess that would then make it an old style???

S
SantiamDrifter
GDBrown said:

Yea, mostly when were just pushing through water. I'll have them cast out in front of the boat with a float and whatever.

Y
youngbuck307
Is boondogging where u have drift boat parked above a nice slot or hole and just backing it down in?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
My understanding is that Boondogging comes from the old logging days when workers would drift bait along the side the logs as they rode them down the river. That led to a more modern practice which is referred to as side drifting.

B
bigsteel
kind of reminds me of when drift fishing use to be called "Rolling Shot"

kirkster
kirkster
GDBrown said:
Most people who are drift fishing spend more time out of the zone than in. When you cast, your OFFering has to decend to the proper depth and then is only there for five feet or so before it starts the accent back to the surface. I watch with dismay as guys will toss their OFFering straight out in front of them and then swing it downstream until it is almost to the bank before retrieving it. It never gets to the bottom or is so heavy that it bounces across the bottom during the swing. It's like they are swinging a fly only they have corky & yarn or eggs and it is traveling sideways in the current! They don't seem to get many strikes and then leave discouraged?

Very well put Gene, getting in the strike zone is what its all about. This is why leader lengty is very crucial. I see a lot of peeps fish the same length leader no matter what river or water speed may be. The key thing IMO to always keep in mind. There is different drifts, water speed, differennt size corkies etc. But there is only one very small strike zone, and if your not in that zone your odds drop considerabley.

So next time you may see a guy using a longer leader than he was using before or he may switch to a longer leader. Before thinking to yourself he is trying to floss fish because of what you have heard about long leaders. Pay attention to waterspeed, bait size etc. And you might just learn something. You can tell a person who is trying to floss if you watch close.

I use a bait caster and I have used the tactic your speaking of it has worked well for me in certain situations. And it does take some experience to be productive. But consentrate on the strike zone,strike zone, strike zone, and once you find the zone then start experimenting on ways to stay in that zone longer.