Drift fishing vs Float fishing

S
SouthernAngler
First off, I'm new to the board but have been following threads for the past couple of months in anticipation of winter steelhead season. I failed miserably last year in my first attempt at this new type of fishing. I wish I would've had this knowledge last year.

Anyways, to the important stuff: What are the merits of drift fishing vs using a float? Last year, I primarily floated jigs. I did manage to put a nice steelhead on my tag but I have a feeling I missed so much. I never used bait, though I'm not sure why. I would imagine with float fishing, its a lot harder to keep your bait/lure in the strike zone, and sometimes you would be dragging the bottom with the bait. Is there any other downside to this? As for positives, I like the additional weight because I can cover both sides of the river a lot easier in tight casting areas. But, other than that, is there anything else I am missing?

I plan on starting drift fishing this Saturday. It seems the Clack and Sandy are getting most attention. Anything on the coastal streams, namely the Wilson? That's where I got the one last year. Thanks for any and all info in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishSchooler
SouthernAngler said:
First off, I'm new to the board but have been following threads for the past couple of months in anticipation of winter steelhead season. I failed miserably last year in my first attempt at this new type of fishing. I wish I would've had this knowledge last year.

Anyways, to the important stuff: What are the merits of drift fishing vs using a float? Last year, I primarily floated jigs. I did manage to put a nice steelhead on my tag but I have a feeling I missed so much. I never used bait, though I'm not sure why. I would imagine with float fishing, its a lot harder to keep your bait/lure in the strike zone, and sometimes you would be dragging the bottom with the bait. Is there any other downside to this? As for positives, I like the additional weight because I can cover both sides of the river a lot easier in tight casting areas. But, other than that, is there anything else I am missing?

I plan on starting drift fishing this Saturday. It seems the Clack and Sandy are getting most attention. Anything on the coastal streams, namely the Wilson? That's where I got the one last year. Thanks for any and all info in advance.

I would mainly stick to drift fishing with bait, as everyone else is doing. Eggs and shrimp seem to be the ticket for most people now. Use little weight. Oh yeah, Welcome to OFF!

P
phish-on
just got this about an half hour ago from guides forecast...

The Wilson River will still offer the best opportunity for steelhead when the system clears but don't count on that until the middle of next week.

These rivers should fish well when they drop into shape and don't let high, slightly off-color water intimidate you. Larger, brighter baits will take willing fish but target steelhead in the softer flows and close to the rivers edge where they are likely to hold until the water clears.

do with it what you will.

W
Whamaglass
Hey there I always take two rods one rigged for each, you never know what kind of situation you might run in too... Another plus is having the extra rod.:)

L
luv2fish
Whamaglass said:
Hey there I always take two rods one rigged for each, you never know what kind of situation you might run in too... Another plus is having the extra rod.:)

very true...i do the same

B
bigdog
Welcome to OFF nice to have you here. I'm with them go with both and see what really works for you. As far as coast rivers I have no idea never fished one think I need to someday though.

E
EastCountyRookie
Float fishing

Float fishing

Good Afternoon gentleman I was on the clackamas yesturday and witnessed 3 fish caught and 6 others that I heard about. Got one myself a 6lb buck but it was a late summer run. I will post a pic later. Today the same spot was ICE COLD.

B
bigdog
So what part of the clack were you on? details my good man details :lol: You know kinda like kiss and tell

L
luv2fish
bigdog said:
Welcome to OFF nice to have you here. I'm with them go with both and see what really works for you. As far as coast rivers I have no idea never fished one think I need to someday though.

for coast i'll wait atleast till this coming saturday i.e. 17

F
fish_4_all
Best method last year here was a float with spawn sack. On the days I made it out they caught a good 80% of fish that way.

S
SouthernAngler
Thanks for all the input. I will be carrying two poles tomorrow as that seems to be a common theme in the responses. Hopefully I will see some of you down at Riverside tomorrow.

N
NewToORFishing
FishSchooler said:
I would mainly stick to drift fishing with bait, as everyone else is doing. Eggs and shrimp seem to be the ticket for most people now. Use little weight. Oh yeah, Welcome to OFF!

"Everyone"?

I don't think so.

A
ArcticAmoeba
He might mean that "Everyone" are the ones cathin all the fish! Yow! Haha, nah, but I will say drift fishin the waters in close proximity to the metro area is absolutely my most productive method...By a landslide...I dunno about everyone else, but I would be stuck with far less fish if I ran any differently. Proper drift fishing is tailored to NW rivers, especially the Clack, and parts of the Sandy.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
He might mean that "Everyone" are the ones cathin all the fish! Yow! Haha, nah, but I will say drift fishin the waters in close proximity to the metro area is absolutely my most productive method...By a landslide...I dunno about everyone else, but I would be stuck with far less fish if I ran any differently. Proper drift fishing is tailored to NW rivers, especially the Clack, and parts of the Sandy.

Actually, that was mainly referring to you! :lol:

F
Fishtopher
Big Brother Program...

Big Brother Program...

:clap:I think you have a Godson Arctic:lol:...Ok maybe not:naughty:, but padawan surely:lol:. Maybe a scaled replica;). You walk on water to this kid man! Better tell him to stay in school and all that too!:lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have, he knows. He is at very least aware of what is good for himself. And I'm pretty honest, that my recent hook-up, to banked fish ratios, are not all that impressive, but because I fish so often, it makes for seemingly, "very productive" fishing. I am productive, but his enthusiasm about fishin just makes him stoked to see/hear about good days on the water.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
I have, he knows. He is at very least aware of what is good for himself. And I'm pretty honest, that my recent hook-up, to banked fish ratios, are not all that impressive, but because I fish so often, it makes for seemingly, "very productive" fishing. I am productive, but his enthusiasm about fishin just makes him stoked to see/hear about good days on the water.

Ehehehehehehe....... ehhhhhhhhh.....