Drift creek

W
Willerman
Went out near the mouth of drift creek - alsea yesterday and it was absolutely beautiful. Didn't think I was going to catch any fish, mostly just exploring for the summer and when SRCs start biting. Amazing kayak water but I was using my chevrolegs today, don't have my truck. Found the access spot on Google maps up through some logging roads; sometimes I'm a little skeptical of doing this but this time it did not dissapoint. Opened up to a beautiful spot where the river wraps around... even caught a few SRCs with blue foxes. Hopefully the pic works. I was greeted by a herd of elk as I arrived, might be able to see them. Very excited to go back this summer with the yak.

• 20160227_121601.jpg
W
Willerman
Well the quality is worse and it's rotated... but you get the idea :)

D
Dizzy Fisherman
What are SRC's?

W
Willerman
D
DrTheopolis
Willerman said:
Sea run cutthroat!

Which mayor may not be what you caught. Plenty of large riverine cutts in coastal streams, as well.

troutdude
troutdude
Umm...aren't streams like Drift Creek, CLOSED to trout fishing???

D
DrTheopolis
If it's open to other species (which it is), incidental catch of trout isn't illegal. Of course, they must be released unharmed. Willerman said nothing about retaining them.

Last edited:
W
Willerman
I've fished it quite a few times for steelhead, just more upstream. This was my first time farther downstream near the bay. I assumed they were SRCs just because they were bigger and closer to the ocean. I didn't know it was closed to trout fishing though, good to know.

W
Willerman
And no I don't keep them. All released unharmed :)

C_Run
C_Run
I think I know that put in. It's kind of tricky to find but been there twice. Nice scenic area with wildlife plus fish!

D
DirectDrive
Rotated.
I can see 'em....barely.

Drift creek

Joeyt304
Joeyt304
I'm from waldport. I would like to find this area. Anyone able to give directions? Thanks.

Joeyt304
Joeyt304
C_Run said:
I think I know that put in. It's kind of tricky to find but been there twice. Nice scenic area with wildlife plus fish!
Looking for directions to this area. I'm from waldport and would like to find this spot. Any help with that?
Co

Joeyt304
Joeyt304
Willerman said:
Went out near the mouth of drift creek - alsea yesterday and it was absolutely beautiful. Didn't think I was going to catch any fish, mostly just exploring for the summer and when SRCs start biting. Amazing kayak water but I was using my chevrolegs today, don't have my truck. Found the access spot on Google maps up through some logging roads; sometimes I'm a little skeptical of doing this but this time it did not dissapoint. Opened up to a beautiful spot where the river wraps around... even caught a few SRCs with blue foxes. Hopefully the pic works. I was greeted by a herd of elk as I arrived, might be able to see them. Very excited to go back this summer with the yak.

I gotta find this spot. And help with that?

C_Run
C_Run
Joeyt304 said:
I gotta find this spot. And help with that?
Go about 5+ miles on Bayview Rd and turn Right on May Rd. and follow it to the end. I've launched my kayak a few times up there. It's "remotesville" to be sure.