Drift boat anchor questions ???

L
luddite
A couple weeks back I was given a 15' drift boat, it needs some work and a few things but will be a good boat. I am in Eugene and plan on fishing the Willamette, McKenzie, Siuslaw etc...

1. How much anchor line do most of you have? I'm thinking 25' should be plenty if not overkill for most situations.
2. What kind of anchor, it seems the pyramid is most common but I have seen chain and rock anchors too?

S
Santiam338
I run a 40 pound pyramid anchor with 60 feet of anchor rope.....More is better...Seems like I always need extra rope from time to time..One time my anchor hung up on the Siuslaw...With the extra rope I was able to work downstream,land the boat and walk above the hang up and pulled my anchor loose...With 25 feet all I would have been able to do is let her go...

Another time I used the extra rope to pull my boat up at a unimproved ramp with the truck....Better to have plenty than not enough...

Chain is for bedrock rivers like the Siuslaw..Less chance of hang ups...I just use my pyramid and only had the one hang up,but the slaw has claimed many a anchor..I think you will like the pyramid better...

Good luck with the new boat..

Last edited:
H
hunt-fish-trap
I run a 40pound pyramid with rebar spikes molded into it. then I go to les schwab and get a old tube and wrap my anchor in that.That is my rear , then my front is a 30 pound pyramid wrapped in tubing. I also run 100 foot of rope. there is no break in my rope from the front to the rear anchor. and the tubing deadens noise on the rocks and keeps it from hanging up. also from damaging my boat in the rapids.
next be sure and post pics of ur new ride and dont hesitate to ask for help or if I can pick anything up for you up north here, as there is a few boat yards and my best friend is in real tight with them. so deals can be had

jamisonace
jamisonace
I run the Mckenzie and MF Willamette almost daily when the fish are in and I've never needed more than the 30lb pyramid I have on the back. I only use my front anchor occasionally for stability in slow water and it's 15lbs.

I like the longer rope for the same reason that Santiam used his. I got hung up, let the rope out so I could row to shore and walked the boat above to pull the anchor free. Anchor came free and as I was pulling it the shore, the darn knot came untied and I lost it anyway!!! Oh well...

I've never needed more than the 30lbs but I bet these other guys have seen a lot more water than I have.

I gave this crazy 40 pound custom steel anchor with spikes out the bottom to a friend. That things will stop a boat dead in it's tracks. Too heavy for me though.

There is a guy that sells pyramid anchors on craigslist in the Eugene area for about 50% of what you'd pay for them at Bi-Mart. I get all my anchors there and they are as good as anything.

L
luddite
Thanks for the input, I'll try to get a pict up tomorrow. In a river I wasn't thinking about 7:1 scope like anchoring with a danforth style anchor and was concerned with extra line in the boat but more is usually better.

H
hunt-fish-trap
I have a pulley system in my boat and the rear anchor has a tube that runs along the floor. all my excess is in a bucket under the bow. I also have clips on my anchors so they can come off and go on super fast. that way the rope never comes out of the boat

G
GDBrown
I too recommend a pyramid anchor for drift boat use and at least 50' of rope. With only 25' you would have less that 15' from the boat to the anchor and still have enough in the boat to pull with. You NEVER want to get to the end of your rope, and that is not a pun intended. Also put a very sharp knife on the hull where anyone can get to it in a hurry in case you need to cut loose from trouble.

L
luddite
If I did this correctly here are a couple pictures

• drift boat small 001.jpg
  • drift boat small 002.jpg
S
Santiam338
Get ready for lots of fun...30 or 35# should be plenty with that boat...

I don't know what I would do without my driftboat...

Grats.

E
eugene1
Looks good! Hope to see you on the water in town this year,

Does it already have an anchor system on the transom? I can't see it if there is.

Congrats

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
Hey bud lil hint let some of your rope out on ur boat and let it slide back some then you will have the waight on back of your trialer and your bout will sit like that and you could have your trash can back lol

H
halibuthitman
that is a fine lookin boat, my suggestion is that you get it inside or covered asap-

R
RunWithSasquatch
Neat boat dude...

I run a 35#.... some days I wish I had more weight... and some days I get tired of pulling the damn thing up.

L
luddite
Took the pict when I brought it home and rinsed it out. Before dark it was in the garage with the interior parts removed, swept the leaves out and placed a small heater inside to dry things out. This morning before work I sanded down the port side interior getting it ready for a coat of paint.

H
hunt-fish-trap
holy cow batman, you never said it was wood! your boat my friend is awesome! it looks like a Mckenzie drifter and that is bad a$$. Do you have any history on where it was made. Also my offer still stands you need anything from up this way let me know and we will make it happen.

L
luddite
I don't have any real info on it, I was told by the donor that it is a Tatman but it is definitely a McKenzie style boat. I am in the process of replacing the inner rails and getting it cleaned up for springer season.

J
JeannaJigs
Nice boat! I run a 35# pyramid with 70' rope, all the reasons have been stated. Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. I figure the times it doesn't it's probably not a great place to be anchored anyways no matter how good that tail out looks. It's damn heavy pulling up from behind with no pulley system, but meh it is what it is. Bought from diamondback boats out in veneta for I think $40.

B
bigsteel
JeannaJigs said:
Nice boat! I run a 35# pyramid with 70' rope, all the reasons have been stated. Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. I figure the times it doesn't it's probably not a great place to be anchored anyways no matter how good that tail out looks. It's damn heavy pulling up from behind with no pulley system, but meh it is what it is. Bought from diamondback boats out in veneta for I think $40.

hi jeanna,where you been?

J
JeannaJigs
bigsteel said:
hi jeanna,where you been?

Heya Dave, everywhere but here and on the water. Had an intense situation last time I went out and well I'm never fishing alone again, im Just glad my dog connected with her inner cujo or people May still be looking for my body. Haven't even looked at my rods in nearly a month. I'm just bleh. I want to get the boat out but no one can ever go on my days off.

E
eugene1
JeannaJigs said:
Had an intense situation last time I went out and well I'm never fishing alone again,

sounds like an interesting story there. Any more to it??

tweakers or mother nature?

Best,