Downrigger question

M
marine_fan
Hi everyone, I was wondering, if you folks use a downrigger when trolling? If so, what's the one you use? As at the moment I believe I need one for the season, yet I haven't made a decision on which one to select so far. I appreciate any comments and input! At the moment I am also conducting my own research based on the youtube overviews, reviews on ebay and amazon and certain articles.
Cheers!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have used both Cannon and Penn downriggers. I switched to the Penn fathom master after many problems with the Cannon. The problem was the enclosed spool on the Cannon. If the wire slipped off the spool and tangled you had to disassemble the downrigger to fix it. The Penn spool is open and you just put the wire back in it's place. That being said I hardly use the downriggers any more. If I went back to using them I would go electric rather than hand crank as all mine were.

B
Bill
Are you looking for electric or manual?

4labs
4labs
Really depends on boat size and your budget.
Electric is great but it helps to have a kicker that can charge your batt.
I have Scotty manuals on one boat for 22 yrs and little problems. Also Scotty service help line is the best. You can actually talk to someone in the US not Babbo in India.
I like Braid line instead of wire solves the current problem and if you lose a rig just tie on a new one. No crimps to carry. On any manual run Shuttle hawks saves from cranking up after every release but they dont work with stacking and not great in the ocean.
Have Cannons on another boat and Big Jon electric that came with the boat but have only used the manual Cannons and one electric cannon out in the ocean and really liked them.
Read that Scotty electric have issues with certain models on ball weight. Some do better up to 10LBs and others to 20 lb balls and the autostop doesn't work with braid, they sell a upgrade called the Sure Stop to fix it.
Good luck and downriggers are great just watch your sonar close and stay off the bottom especially on Wickiup

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I have Scotty's that are manual and I had a problem with them one time, let my grandson put them down and he fouled the cable on one which pretty much ruined the day for the down rigger use. However my boat is set up for either. I did change my line from steel to non steel and they work fine for me. My main reason for using the down riggers is I can set them at a prescribed depth which can work out nice if you are in an area where there are a lot off snags. I have also found areas in the rivers where the bait fish are hanging at a higher depth and found and landed Kings in chasing the bait fish. The biggest problem I have found is if somebody lowers them down and is not familiar with them it can present some problems. I use my main for trolling as it is easier and I can go just a slow and it can be a pain if you have a "know it all" on the boat. Other than that, depending on the area I often prefer down riggers. I know one guy who uses down riggers for trout and does very well.

N
Nemoduck
This might be a stupid idea, but if your using braided line anyway. Why couldn't you find an old reel with a line counter on it, attach it to an old Tuna pole and use that as the down rigger. It would be easier to reel up, and if you search goodwills, and garage sales probably cheaper. Just an idea.

4labs
4labs
Here's what I have sitting out in my shop.
When you compare the sheer mass of the cannons or scotty to the big jon it's like a tooth pick. Nothing against them and will run them (2) in deep open water. The boat they came with was from the great lakes .
And if you don't like the scotty or cannon they are a easy sell not so with the big jon. You will see a 100 cannons or scottys to every 1 big jon

• IM000476.JPG
  • IM000477.JPG
  • IM000478.JPG
  • IM000479.JPG
Reactions: marine_fan
4labs
4labs
Nemoduck;n613612 said:
This might be a stupid idea, but if your using braided line anyway. Why couldn't you find an old reel with a line counter on it, attach it to an old Tuna pole and use that as the down rigger. It would be easier to reel up, and if you search goodwills, and garage sales probably cheaper. Just an idea.

NOT A STUPID IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A great way to start
A line counter reel -old heavy pole- 4lb or less weight shuttle hawk put it in a pole holder and your set. Will easily fish to 40ft at 1mph
And maybe run leadcore instead of braid ?

N
Nemoduck
4labs;n613676 said:
NOT A STUPID IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A great way to start
A line counter reel -old heavy pole- 4lb or less weight shuttle hawk put it in a pole holder and your set. Will easily fish to 40ft at 1mph
And maybe run leadcore instead of braid ?

It's all a mute point for me now. Just scored two Scotty Easi Trolls for $40. I figured it would work, and I know some people have Rods and reels they aren't using. (Not me of course :) ) Now to find some cheap weights.

4labs
4labs
Nemoduck;n613686 said:
It's all a mute point for me now. Just scored two Scotty Easi Trolls for $40. I figured it would work, and I know some people have Rods and reels they aren't using. (Not me of course :) ) Now to find some cheap weights.

A great weight and sometimes cheap are window sashes you may find at a window and glass shop. They sell them for scrap and weigh around 6lbs

N
Nemoduck
4labs;n613687 said:
A great weight and sometimes cheap are window sashes you may find at a window and glass shop. They sell them for scrap and weigh around 6lbs

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check those out.

M
marine_fan
Nemoduck;n613689 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check those out.

Me either... Appreiate your help!

4labs
4labs
The window sash is the rusty one on the right.. the next 3 something I made from some scrap but the pipe one didn't pencil out due to the cost of gal pipe and threading
The fancy one on the left is what I found at wickiup in a stump and the fish one i've had for 20yrs