Downrigger cable replacement?

T
Thuggin4Life
Has anyone use the downrigger replacement cable made by powerpro? thinking of getting the 200lb test and putting hopefully fitting 200' on each downrigger and getting heavier balls. After reading up on the electric charges and all that this seems like a good way to go. there is some thin cable on the minitrolls i got but room for double if not triple the cable and there is 100' on them now. If I can get at least 150' I will be happy but wondering if the powerpro product is good or should I get cable again and deal with the electric charge created from using downriggers?

B
bd2cool
I replace mine with 100lb spiderwire line.
I like it better then cable.

T
Thuggin4Life
the powerpro looks like thick mono. did you use the braid?

B
bd2cool
Yes-the 100 lb is the same dia as 20 lb mono line.
I did mine to get rid of the hum line noise cause by the steel cable.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah that hum is more than a hum it also cause elrtical charge which can be good or bad but there are so many things that affect it I would like to illiminated it all together. Might try to invest in some braid. did the braid roll down the pulley better to keep the depth gage accurate or could a guy mark the brais every 5 feet? wonder if they make color coded braid for depth/distance?

B
bd2cool
I never went by the depth gauge.I always used my depth finder-or one turn of the handled = one foot of line-not great but close enough for me.

S
stream2.5
ive used it, and to eleviate the electric charge ground the DR via a 10GA wire to the - post on the boat, that will give the electricy a place to ground..

T
Thuggin4Life
stream2.5 said:
ive used it, and to eleviate the electric charge ground the DR via a 10GA wire to the - post on the boat, that will give the electricy a place to ground..

So you have use the powerpro? how do/did you like it?

S
stream2.5
Thuggin4Life said:
So you have use the powerpro? how do/did you like it?

didn't like it seemed to strech slightly overtime and also cut into the spool... so it wouldnt deploy smoothly after a while... maybe use something in the 50-80 lb diameter range because the thin stuff wasn't that great

T
Thuggin4Life
I was thinking of the 200lb test powerpro downrigger replacement stuff instead of just getting some braid. What did you use?

S
stream2.5
i used the 130 lb power pro.. didn't have the 200 lb out when i tried it.. may be the difference i needed to like the product