Double rig thoughts

B
Berg03
So I have been wondering about running a double rig under a bobber. Similar to how fly fishing nyphms. Running my leader to my jig and tying another 1ft leader to a yarnie or something. My only concern is running into the issue if a steel is coming in and runs into my leader to my yarnie that he is now spooked. Or would that be to much going on for them?

Thoughts please?

S
SantiamDrifter
I know people do it. Chad from Steelhead Stalkers does it. Guides on the Clearwater do it a lot as well. Thats why they came up with the jig head with two eyes lets. So you can run the dropper from the jig head.

I dont think you would have to worry about spooking them as much as you think. Because what you're trying to do is run the jig 1-3 feet off the bottum, and are usually above the fish. Now if you ran a yarnie or bait with a puffball, your second presentation would probably be level if not higher then your jig. Therefore you wont have to worry about the line hitting the fish.

B
BlackBass
I fish a dark colored jig green black red black gold black teal , mostly rabbit or hair. I then tie off my dropper right behind the jig head. Use a troutbead with some white yarn and shrimp scent. This can also be done with a split shot , really easy way to mimic a sandshrimp

B
Berg03
SantiamDrifter said:
....I dont think you would have to worry about spooking them as much as you think. Because what you're trying to do is run the jig 1-3 feet off the bottum, and are usually above the fish. Now if you ran a yarnie or bait with a puffball, your second presentation would probably be level if not higher then your jig. Therefore you wont have to worry about the line hitting the fish.

Ok, do you know if they run the second leader a lower lb test? or the same?

Thanks for that, thats exactly my thoughts but wanted another person to say it haha.

B
bran_man
I like to use double rigs sometimes especially when the fish are biting light. I just tie up a double egg loop knot hooks all from the same line. Soil usually loop roe on the upper hook and a piece of shrimp on the bottom hook. And I've caught fish on both hooks so it makes it so what youre presenting has more variety

S
steelhead_stalkers
No it does not work! And yes I run the same lb test on the dropper as the leader. :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
back when i owned a gear rod markasd taught me how to use two jigs in tandem just like nymph fishing, on medium sized jig (like 1/8 oz or so) then tie a dropper off the eye of that jig or the bend to a smaller jig in a different color. fish looks at top jig and thinks it's not worthy then sees jig #2 and eats it.

D
dtikey
I have run droppers off my jigs for probally 4 years now and find it to work great. I will run like a 10lb leader to my jig then 8lb floracarbon dropper with like say egg sucking leach for summers and seems to work great for me.It works for picking off shy fish in my opinion even after you pull couple fish out of a hole