Double hook drift rig/multiple lure float rigs

K
koboabe
how many of you run a trailing hook while drifting or attach another lure (fly, jig, pink worm) while running floats?

when I first started to target steelies I was using 2 hook rigs and was getting dirty looks from other bankies.
one guy on the Kalama even suggested that I take my shady rig and head back to the Washougal with all the other snaggers (he didn't know that I was too green to even snag a fish, but that is another story)

I have caught many steelhead and even a few nooks off a single hook drift rig / single hook OFFering under a bobber, but I thought I would see how many of you find the double hook more effective than a single point.

is the trailing hook just a safety net for those light or short strikes?

Last edited by a moderator:
S
SantiamDrifter
I'll run a trailer hook on my pink worm setup

M
metalfisher76
I run a trailer with bobber and eggs/cocktails where legal to do so.

K
koboabe
how much length between the hooks, 1" to 1.5"?

M
metalfisher76
I actually try to get as close as possible. I have a buddy that goes 1" and puts a puff ball on it. He doe`s well with it.

B
BlackBass
Pretty uncommon method but i use it very affectively. I use a jig and then tie 1 '6" of leader below it and add a small cherise and crystal flash fly below that, sometimes a black wooly bugger with a black jig is affective or a size 4 gami with just a smidge of yarn. I use this method a lot for winter steel.

M
Mike123
metalfisher76 said:
I actually try to get as close as possible. I have a buddy that goes 1" and puts a puff ball on it. He doe`s well with it.

Yea that's a must for back bouncing! I always go like a 3/0-5/0 with a #2,#1, or 1/0 trailer with a corkie in between. I guess you can do it float fishing too and fish your weight a bit deeper.. kinda gives you a drift fishing presentation.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Sometimes I will fish a two hook setup under a float. I will have my jig then a small dropper with an egg pattern or small fly. Seems they always take the bottom fly or egg or if I have the egg pattern at the top then they eat the jig on the bottom. Not sure why so most of the time I just use one in the winter. Sometimes casting a two fly setup can be challenging to not get it tangled up. Its killer for trout in lakes though, both flys or jigs get hit!

C
Combat Chuck
SantiamDrifter said:
I'll run a trailer hook on my pink worm setup

Do you have the second hook below the worm or is there one in the body and one in the tail? Any pics? thanks

S
SantiamDrifter
Combat Chuck said:
Do you have the second hook below the worm or is there one in the body and one in the tail? Any pics? thanks

I run my pink worms on a white jig head. I'll tie my jig head to my mainline using a trilene knot while leaving a 1 ft tag end. Then I'll use that tag end to tie a bait loop onto a hook. I like to run the hook about an inch longer then the worm. I use the bait loop to secure something onto the hook but im not gunna tell your what lol :)