Dorena Lake Fishing

T
the_intimidator03
Well I am thinking that since they are stocking Dorena Lake that I may hit there towards thursday or friday. Maybe test my float tube with my wetsuit LOL Anyone have any idea where a good place to start would be? i figure ill bring my fly rod and spinning set up and go from there. And if someone else would like to join with a float tube or pontoon it would be nice. I am figuring hitting around the east side of the lake where the boat ramp is there, where the creek comes in. Unless someone has a better suggestion?

T
Thuggin4Life
Good luck. I would fish the other side but i have never fished there. Rat creek area is know for good bassin. Any access by the dam? looked good as well.

T
the_intimidator03
I am not sure the nearest way towards the dam to be honest, And i can say there are some nice bass over by rat creek, Ive tangled with a few LOl that is also where i got a 19 inch brooder/holdover

T
TTFishon
Don't forget about the direction the wind is blowing. I've been blown across the lake before in my float tube and it made for a not so fun hike back. lol

Troutski
Troutski
Dorena Lake fishing

Dorena lake is a great place for Trout fishing, slow trolling with a spinning combo is good depending on your lure selection. Draging flies with a sink tip or sinking line works great as well; as for location I would agree with Andy in the Rat Creek area but if you are in a float tube I would try the area towards the dam from the boat ramp at Baker Bay just even with the picnic area...maybe twenty yards from shore.
A night crawler floating a couple feet off the bottom will be successful this time of year.

My lure of choice in that lake would be Spoons, Thomas Buoyant, Kastmasters, Lil Cleo's etc. If you carry both a fly rod and spinning gear you will do well, if by chance you can manage to make it where the Row enters the lake you will be in Trout heaven, Cutties, Hold over Trout and if you use a very slow retrieve using a spinner maybe even a Bass..
Best of luck and tight lines.

Chuck

T
Thuggin4Life
I forgot. this time of year around dorena drop there should be some good trout fishing unless the rivers mud.

T
TTFishon
I've done really well on the north side of the dam too. Actually ,I've done really well all along the dam.

X
xltom
I'm probably stating the obvious but that lake has high geological mercury. Why would they stock trout there? Seems like a waste.

T
the_intimidator03
it takes time to build up the toxins, and i wouldnt quite say its geological mercury as just upstream from it was a lot of mining back in the day :) I personally dont worry about all those warnings, never have and probably never will

N
nwkiller
go hit the mouth where the row runs in, all up and down that is great fishing, lures and flies only at this time..good luck, let us know how u killed it

X
xltom
the_intimidator03 said:
it takes time to build up the toxins, and i wouldnt quite say its geological mercury as just upstream from it was a lot of mining back in the day :) I personally dont worry about all those warnings, never have and probably never will
Yeah.. geological: unearthed from mining or when the corp of engineers created the lake. As opposed to the mercury we city folk are used to... from good ol' industrial pollution.

N
Noahk
the_intimidator03 said:
Well I am thinking that since they are stocking dorena lake that I may hit there towards thursday or friday. Maybe test my float tube with my wetsuit LOL Anyone have any idea where a good place to start would be? i figure ill bring my fly rod and spinning set up and go from there. And if someone else would like to join with a float tube or pontoon it would be nice. I am figuring hitting around the east side of the lake where the boat ramp is there, where the creek comes in. Unless someone has a better suggestion?
Wetsuit? I think you'd be much more comfortable and able to stay in the water longer with some waders. Good luck either way!

T
the_intimidator03
Ah I understand how you are using the term geological :p, As for the wetsuit, with funds tight its what I have, I do know after a 12 hour day on the water wading it aint very comfortable. LOL As soon as I am comfortably with the rivers and have some extra gas ill hit em up

N
Noahk
Check out Bi-mart, I got my waders there for 28 bucks or something on sale. I don't think they're on sale now but watch for their sales.

T
the_intimidator03
i will do, just need something for me since im 5ft 8 and 185 lbs with size 12-13 feet LOL

B
Bilbobaker
Just a heads up....
Trout fishing has been sweet on Lake Dorena the past few weeks and the lake is full now, haven't coaxed a bass out of her.... yet.
Water feels warm so they ought to be getting active.
Saw a bunch of Bass boaters camping at Swartz park this weekend, wonder how they did...

T
Throbbit _Shane
Took my pontoon to Dorena lake today and fished it for the first time. Got there at first light and didn't get my first fish until a few hours later I think lol. It was a nice one though it weighed in on my scale at 3lbs 9oz. When the wind picked up I caught a one pound smallie, then a 4lb 2oz LMB that got me by surprise but I still landed it! Got them all on the same thing. 5" Melon Pie color worm! Check the video out!