Don't overlook Goodwill.

brandon4455
brandon4455
well, went home for lunch yesterday and there were two nice trout rods on the stairs and dad got them both at goodwill for under $10 each. one was a quantum micro under 5ft and a 5"6 zebco both with nice spinning reels can't beat that. so always check out goodwill when low on cash.

T
Throbbit _Shane
nice!! i need to start looking there. i love good deals on fishing gear :D :D

M
Modest_Man
I love Goodwill. Picked up a down REI sleeping bag brand new for $6 a couple months ago...retails for $270.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive found some awesome stuff there.. best place ever! (besides a tackle shop with low prices)

C
cddunn
Yep, I found a pair of watertight waders that fit once. Also missed a fly rod/reel by about 5 minutes.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. I hunt Goodwill's throughout my sales territory. Haven't found much lately, but have on occasion.

Much of my gear has come from yard/garage/estate sales. I love the hunt for gear; and was "yard saling" way before it was en vogue (i.e. "cool" for you younger whipper snappers). I've also found great stuff on eBay and Craig's List.

Congrats to you and your pops on your find.

N
nwkiller
yep just got a rod pack there the other day, gonna use it to pack 2 rods to st johns when i go

T
todd_brooks
My girl donated a Ross fly reel a few years back by mistake when she was moving. I never even got to see it as it was before I came into the picture. But I still get a little sick to my stomach when I think about it. So yay you never know what you might find. The bin stores that you pay by the the pound rock by the way.

brandon4455
brandon4455
todd_brooks said:
My girl donated a Ross fly reel a few years back by mistake when she was moving. I never even got to see it as it was before I came into the picture. But I still get a little sick to my stomach when I think about it. So yay you never know what you might find. The bin stores that you pay by the the pound rock by the way.

i know a lot of people that work at the pay by the pound place in salem. my grandpa drives truck for them and my dad use to work there. really fun place to visit.you will NEVER know what you will find

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Mi madre always seems to sniff out the really good stuff there - she's picked up nice tents, awnings, camping gear, etc from Goodwill.

I like to hunt them every few weeks myself - my current tackle bag for steelies/salmon came from Goodwill for $5. I'm always on the hunt for the nice old-school fiberglass rods. I almost bought one the other day, but it would've taken a LOT of work to get back into shape - it had a broken tip section, and even w/ the missing tip, it was about 9'6" - medium heavy casting rod. The cork and the aluminum reel seat were good - but the guides were all shot (not a big deal, it'd get all new aluminum oxide guides anyway) - but the blank looked like it had been exposed to heat - it had two or three waves in it.

Goodwill has been a godsend in other areas though - my wife & I are expecting a little one very, very soon. We've bought 95% of the baby clothes from goodwill - most have been new with tags on them for pennies on the dollar, other stuff is really gently used. Goodwill is good stuff!