Dog midlife crisis?!

J

JeannaJigs

My pitbull is almost 10. By larger breed standards, that's senior citizen/retirement age. She would be looking for a job greeting folks at walmart if she were a person.

About two years ago she went through a chewing phase in which she ate my credit cards, bank cards, fishing license, and drivers license. I bought her things to chew on and she quit chewing immediately. Go figure.

She never chewed when she was young.

Her new thing is peppermint teabags. Yep. Teabags. I keep moving them to different places and she keeps getting into them. I put them in a sealed container in the cupboard, and she found them.

There are currently the contents of what appears to be 5 teabags shredded on my bed...I guess I should be glad they smell minty fresh?

Has anyone had an old dog start crappy behavior? She gets walked everyday at least a little but her hips are failing so I don't take her on anything longer than a mile anymore or she's in bad shape for two days. I think she is engaged. She plays with my other dog. I don't know.

I need that crazy dog whisperer.

R

RunWithSasquatch

My understanding was that dogs who chew, have some built up anxiety from either being left alone, energy, or what have you. Its weird that a mature dog is starting it up, especially since there is another dog there for added activity. Luckily mint isn't bad for the dog.

J

JeannaJigs

Yeah I can't figure it out. She used to have separation anxiety pretty bad but never chewed. Just got super excited when I got home and wouldn't leave my side. For a second. I don't have the background on her, I rescued her from death row at the pound when she was 6 months old. So a lot could have happened in that six months that's maybe somehow being triggered now. Don't know. She gets lots of exercise and loves. And she has company during the day when I'm at work. Thought she woulda ate my other dog because she's an 8 pound wiener dog, but they're homies. I gave her some toys to chew on and she just looks at them like well she's being cheated because they aren't minty fresh lol

R

RunWithSasquatch

Could maybe get a kong and stuff some sort of mint down inside that, and maybe she'd leave your tea alone, crazy dog addiction.

J

JeannaJigs

Lol that's a good idea. I have like three of them around here somewhere. They're as large as my little dogs head, but the little dog is the one that likes them and hides them all over my house.

J

JeannaJigs

Barb, it's a good thing I'm a chick and know that you're talking about my dog ;) lol

The wiener is the top dog of the house. Gonna be interesting seeing what she thinks about the new pup in a few weeks. Although she tries to mother the cats so she will probably be in heaven with an actual puppy to mother lol

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Oh dear....lmao...
Barb, it's a good thing I'm a chick and know that you're talking about my dog ;) lol

The wiener is the top dog of the house. Gonna be interesting seeing what she thinks about the new pup in a few weeks. Although she tries to mother the cats so she will probably be in heaven with an actual puppy to mother lol

S

sherman

Jeanna I seen in that other thread your pup has his eyes open now. Just like kids they are so cute when so young & grow up so fast.
As far as your dog suddenly getting the chewing habbit. My lab is 8 yrs old & since my daughter & two boys moved in with us Sherman has chewed things up when he gets mad at one of us. It depends on who he is mad at as to who's stuff he takes out the doggie door & chews up. I think it is because he gets left behind when we use to take him everywhere. When I left to go to to FP invitational I left him home & pulled out of the driveway with the camper he howeld like a hound dog my nieghbor said. He doesn't do that when i go to work. But leaving with the camper really freeked him out. My nieghbor kid came over & played with him & he was fine. Then the wife came home & he wouldn't leave her side. I think I lost my best friend, for he has been sticking close to her. We will see what happens next week. The wife flies out tomorrow to Washington Dc for training for a week. I may get my dog back. Animals sure are funny.

J

JeannaJigs

Yep my pup is 3 weeks old now and opened her eyes this week. I think she will be good for my old ladies. Keep em young and be a good companion for them. Dogs are quirky. Good luck getting your dog back lol. I'm sure he will forgive you. Eventually. Lol.

M

Markcanby

Funny how they know when you are going to work or not. During the week my Ava wont even get off the couch to say goodbye but if Im going fishing or something she wont leave my side.

As for teh chewing did it get worse after you decided to get the new puppy? She could know something is up an is upsetting her.

J

JeannaJigs

She started the teabag seek and destroy missions about 4 weeks ago, and at the time I didn't know I was getting a pup. So I don't think that's the issue. My wiener dog has been kinda like wtf when I come home smelling like other dogs but after I'm home about five minutes they're done sniffing and go back to their business of being lazy laying around doing nothing. Until I'm distracted and then I catch her hunting for teabags.

Top Bottom