Dodge Park

S
SalmonStalker
Any luck there?
Spots, equipment, techniqe, If you would like to share:)

T
Troutier Bassier
How do you get to the Pipleline hole?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just got back from there. I fish it fairly often and see all kinds of fishing methods used there. Today there was a guy bobber fishing jigs, next to him a guy driftting eggs. I was up closer to the bridge with a spey rod swining flies. I had intended on going to the hole just above the bridge but when I drove across it I saw three guys already fishing there. I saw guys coming back from and headed to the pipeline hole and or the girl scout hole. What I didn't see was anybody with fish. The water was gin clear and the sun was out and bright, not the best conditions. I think the trick is to get what ever your presentation is, in front of a fish. Just my opinion but I think eggs either drifted, or below a bobber, is a very effective method to fish from the bank. I use the spey rod not because I think it is the most effective, I just enjoy it more. I also enjoy spinners and spoons, but if my main goal was to catch a fish I'd be out there with eggs. Luckly my goal is just to be on the river fishing and swining flies.;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Troutier Bassier said:
How do you get to the Pipleline hole?
Unless there has been a change, and the last time I talked to a Clackamas County Sheriffs Sergeant, there hasn't, there are a couple of ways. One park at Dodge Park walk back across the bridge go right at the construction site down river and tresspass down the road and across the barbwire fence. Follow the river down to the hole. You will know you are getting close when you see the end of the island that start in the middle of Dodge Park. Also there are some large bolder you will need to go over. The other way which is legal is to wade out to the island walk down river on the island toward the end of the island re-enter the river and cross over to the far side. Again deal with the bolders and get around the corner to the hole. The end of the island is close to where the Bull Run River comes into the Sandy. This is not the time of year to be doing this. The water is cold and if by chance a rain storm shows up you could be in a world of hurt. I have seen that river come up fast in a good solid rain. Unless you have been there before I would not advise going alone. Ask Youngbuck, or Bigdog, or anyone else on here about that. I don't make that trip unless the river is below 10' on a day without rain.

Last edited:
E
eggs
gin clear huh... sounds like I need to grab my smaller jigs and remember to make small yarnballs this weekend..

F
Fishtopher
I wouldnt cross to fish Pipeline this time of year, unless we was havin weather like we are right now...looks like levels are 'bout to fall out everywhere.

Good luck out there eggs...looks like some great! fishing conditions this weekend.

B
boberdown
girl scout hole

girl scout hole

if im not mistaken if you go to the girl scout hole other than in a boat its a federal offence and you can be arested its tresspassing. rick at the sandy fish and takle lives right there and he is the one that told me! so be careful....
as far as dodge park take that road to the right just past the park thats called the garbage hole/indian hole up or down stream you will find nice water! last week got one just down from the garbage hole using orange white yarn with eggs! good luck and good fishen
god bless
boberdown

E
eggs
Figured to hit indain hole and the one above garbage...

Is there fishable water and bank if you cross bull run and walk down past the rapids towards pipeline?

Irishrover
Irishrover
It is completely legal to wade down to the girls scout hole. You just have to use the river (hard to wade without water) go along the hight water mark by shore and wade down from the pipeline hole to the girl scout hole. I cross the river below the pipeline hole and wade down that side then re-cross below the girl scout hole and wade back up. The only illegal part is if you just cut across by land. If you stick to the river you are golden. And Fishtophher you are right this is a good window of time to hit those holes. The other kind of funny thing is the girl scout hole got it's name from the " Camp Namanu" a camp owned by the Camp Fire Girls. Go figure.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
eggs said:
Figured to hit indain hole and the one above garbage...

Is there fishable water and bank if you cross bull run and walk down past the rapids towards pipeline?

That would put you on the wrong side of the pipe line hole. It would put you on the deep water side. Best to cross over from the island.

E
eggs
Ahh IC.. Thanks!

T
Troutier Bassier
I was looking at Google maps at the pipeline hole and I was thinking wtf? You have to cross that little river?
Me and S.S might go there on Sunday thats why we are asking.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That little river has sent more than one guy to meet Davey Jones. Remember what happened last thanksgiving up by Cedar Creek? Just becareful do not take that river for granted. Waders and a good set of wading boots would be a good start along with a good strong buddy to scoop you out of the water. Be safe live long enough to get your drivers license.;)

S
SalmonStalker
Thanks for the info, i think ill try out dodge park. Ill let you guys know how i do.

Y
youngbuck307
boberdown said:
if im not mistaken if you go to the girl scout hole other than in a boat its a federal offence and you can be arested its tresspassing. rick at the sandy fish and takle lives right there and he is the one that told me! so be careful....
as far as dodge park take that road to the right just past the park thats called the garbage hole/indian hole up or down stream you will find nice water! last week got one just down from the garbage hole using orange white yarn with eggs! good luck and good fishen
god bless
boberdown

not to sure about that one. I have pulled a fish out right there and the kids that were doing a walk down by the river thought it was so cool. No one ever said crap to me..

But love it down there but one thing is i dont evan make that trip unless the water is down around 9ft up around 9'5 your getting close to being up to lower chest with the water going good if you cross in the wrong spot... if i was going to go there know i would rather risk a ticket than my life.... but no fish is worth eather to me!

B
boberdown
my apologeeze

my apologeeze

youngbuck307 said:
not to sure about that one. I have pulled a fish out right there and the kids that were doing a walk down by the river thought it was so cool. No one ever said crap to me..

But love it down there but one thing is i dont evan make that trip unless the water is down around 9ft up around 9'5 your getting close to being up to lower chest with the water going good if you cross in the wrong spot... if i was going to go there know i would rather risk a ticket than my life.... but no fish is worth eather to me!

you guys are right! i remember now it was my brother in law eastcounty rookie! that told me that. i just got off the phone with rick at tackle shop in sandy and he said its ok as long as you find the right path to getting there...just dont take the trail behind the fence its a 1200.00 fine! sorry about that...

E
eggs
So you can drive down the camp, park outside and walk down if you take the right path? Interesting.. I might have to drive down there tomorrow to take a look around...

C
Cohosanders
Great Thread

Great Thread

Thanks for the info on this thread.I have yet to catch a steelie in the Sandy(jeffcycles caught a 10lb chrome hen @garbage hole drifting shrimp yesterday). I wish he would post the pic it is huge. Anyway is that "Coho Island" the island mentioned????

Irishrover
Irishrover
Cohosanders said:
Thanks for the info on this thread.I have yet to catch a steelie in the Sandy(jeffcycles caught a 10lb chrome hen @garbage hole drifting shrimp yesterday). I wish he would post the pic it is huge. Anyway is that "Coho Island" the island mentioned????
I believe that what some folks call it. Good to here some one nailed a nice steelhead at the G Hole!!

M
metalfisher76
boberdown said:
you guys are right! i remember now it was my brother in law eastcounty rookie! that told me that. i just got off the phone with rick at tackle shop in sandy and he said its ok as long as you find the right path to getting there...just dont take the trail behind the fence its a 1200.00 fine! sorry about that...

Yep, it`s one of the few "navigable" streams in Oregon. Youngbuck is right 9.5 and down man! it`s hairy above that.