Dodge Park

L

Lovefishing

My friend and I are gonna try and get our first Salmon tomorrow and thought about going to Dodge Park. I have never been there, so once we get to the park where would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance.

O

OnTheFly

Dodge Park is not big place so it's really obvious where to fish. Straight out from the parking lot, the river's got a good slot that is on the opposite bank or you can find good water just upstream. Also,there is a road across the street from the park that will take you to the Garbage Hole where you'll find a large dirt turnout and more bank access. Good luck.

B

bigdog

That whole area has some great fishing water. Yes dodge park its self has the smaller hole there and there is garbage hole but if you walk up or down the river you will find a good amount of holes to fish. and there are fish there just have to want them bad enough to work for them and spend more then a hour or two on the water. We have been having good luck on eggs and spinners out in that area. Good luck and make sure to spend the whole day trying to get in to fish it should pay OFF for you.

G

GDBrown

I spent 5 hours on monday afternoon until dark (got to remember the flashlite next time) & 5 hours on thurday fishing above the garbage hole. Fish rolling everywere! Tried just about everything except a jig under a bobber. (Next time take jigs) No luck! I fished next to a guy who was having problems with his gear and he said;"First time I ever went fishing was last Saturday down at the park, caught a salmon and a steelhead!" :)

I have washed all my gear, bought a new pole, spend $$$ on spinners, bobbers, leaders, hooks, eggs, books, maps, and gas. (Hillsboro & back = 100miles)

I just can't seem to get a hookup. I've fished were I've seen others take fish and fish the entire water column without so much as a bump. I got ONE tug that I thought was a fish and hauled in a rock with my hook imbedded in it.

Help!:mad::mad::mad:

I will be out there again Saturday afternoon because I have to get ready for some windows to be installed in my home next week. I drive a gray Toyota Tacoma 4X4 and always have my vest on. I'll wear my new white Canadian Rockys cap. (maybe it will bring me some luck)

If someone will be there anyway, may I fish with you to learn what I'm doing wrong? And this time I will get out the fly rod for the last hour so I can at least say I caught some trout:rolleyes:.

GD

M

Mike123

I would definitely try the fly rod out!! May produce a fish quicker than anything else! Never know?

Y

youngbuck307

might be down there tomorrow what how will i know how you are??? more than happy to show you where i have picked a few up at!

G

GDBrown

White hat! Spinning rod! and a skunk following me!!
I'll try and put a target of some kind on the back of my vest. Hows that?

GD

N

ninja2010

gdb:

you're voicing exactly my words from times in the not too distant past... and yet you persist. this is a good thing. i applaud your valiant effort.

but here's my 2 dineros, based on personal experience and common sense... gotta fish where the fish are, gotta find the fish that will bite, and gotta make the right presentation with the right gear to them.

basic requirements to satisfy... but when you've met all those, you still need that sanction from the fish god. then you're into a good time and a half.

B

bigdog

GDBrown: I feel your pain man it seems like it takes for ever and sometimes it does. Like Ninja said you are on the right track with being persistent with it and never get up. You are bound to get in to some fish. If the weather roports hold to be true the fishing is going to be really hot this coming weekend. Granted there are going to be a whole lot of people out there as well but there are going to be more fish them you can shake a stick at lol (shake a stick at you know I never did get that I can shake a stick pretty fast)

It is all about what you present the fish with and when fishing for these hard to please fish you also have to be in their faces. When running a bobber and some eggs or jig or something you need to be down where they are. I like to find how deep the hole is I'm fishing then be about 1-2 feet off the bottom. This would be the same for spinners have to be in the zone so to speak. It is hard and you can loose some gear but I have been told if you're not losing gear you're not fishing right.

When finding the depth of a hole with a bober try just the float with some wieght on it. Keep going deeper and deeper (using a slider float) ubtil you find the bottom then bring it back up about 1-2 feet and fish that. The fish tend to hang more to the bottom.

When throwing spinners this is a little harder to deel with but I toss it out there and let it sink for awhile. Sometimes waiting for it to hit the bottom then giving it a good tug to get it up and off the ground and start reeling. Yes this is tricky and you can loose a few spinners but thats part of the game I guess.

The one hole we have been fishing I have had to run my eggs around 25 feet deep to get to the fish but thats just in that hole. As you and everyone out there knows no two holes are alike.

Keep at it and don't give up man. The fish gods will smile on you and when they do you will like it. Good luck and hope sometime we can meet up so I can try to help you a little more with what I have learned so far.

CJ

O

OnTheFly

If someone will be there anyway, may I fish with you to learn what I'm doing wrong? And this time I will get out the fly rod for the last hour so I can at least say I caught some trout.
GD

Hey GD, Bring the 7 or 8wt with you. Who knows, you may hook into something besides a trout! :)

G

GDBrown

Thanks for the encouragement!

It'll be a 6 wt. that's all I have unless you think a 4 wt will work?

GD

Leaving for Dodge in T-17 and counting.

Last edited:
O

OnTheFly

A 4wt would work but if you hook into silver or summer you better have your overnight bag with you!