Dodge Park Salmon

F
FreshMoneyFisher
FishFinger said:
let us know how you do.

Ended up heading to Cedar Creek on Saturday morning instead of Dodge. Got there a little before 5am, and was at a great spot on the river by 5:30. Had to wait out the darkness a little, and got my line wet around 6:20.

It rained a little, but not much...and it wasn't even that crowded. I was expecting huge amounts of people, but they never came for some reason. Another guy walked up to me and asked if he could share the hole with me, and of course that was fine. We both started nailing them on corkies and yarn, and I was back at the car with my first 3 coho by 10am.

All in all an incredible day, getting my first fish and all. Next time I will be taking a backpack...walking out with 3 30" fish was an exceptional workout.

Thanks for tall the help with tips/locations/rigs...etc, truly appreciated.

B
bir48die
Sandy River

Sandy River

Thanks for the heads up. Saw Tuesday is a rain day. Will wait until later in the week. What have you heard about the Wilson?

J
Justluck
cedar creek or dodge park?

cedar creek or dodge park?

so which is hotter cedar creek or dodge park. Been hitting Cedar creek with lil time to fish and considering dodge park. Is the access at dodge park quicker to get to? Cause that walk at cedar is long!

F
FishFinger
FreshMoneyFisher said:
Ended up heading to Cedar Creek on Saturday morning instead of Dodge. Got there a little before 5am, and was at a great spot on the river by 5:30. Had to wait out the darkness a little, and got my line wet around 6:20.

It rained a little, but not much...and it wasn't even that crowded. I was expecting huge amounts of people, but they never came for some reason. Another guy walked up to me and asked if he could share the hole with me, and of course that was fine. We both started nailing them on corkies and yarn, and I was back at the car with my first 3 coho by 10am.

All in all an incredible day, getting my first fish and all. Next time I will be taking a backpack...walking out with 3 30" fish was an exceptional workout.

Thanks for tall the help with tips/locations/rigs...etc, truly appreciated.

Glad to hear you did well. I was wondering how opening day of hunting season would impact the crowds at CC. It's a great area to fish w/o the hordes.

I just got back into town and I'll be hitting the Sandy hard for Silvers till halloween. Perhaps I will see you there.

F
FishFinger
Justluck said:
so which is hotter cedar creek or dodge park. Been hitting Cedar creek with lil time to fish and considering dodge park. Is the access at dodge park quicker to get to? Cause that walk at cedar is long!

Yep you can park within 400' of the river. When the fish are in, Dodge is always a good choice.

F
FishSchooler
Fishfinger, thanks for all your spinner and coho tips, Im off to a good season I think... Look at what I have... 6 spinners in the pics and I twisted 3 more just now... I'll get the pics up in a sec, anyway, anyone want to meet at dodge in 2 or 3 weeks on a sunday?
Photobucket aint workin hold on...

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
Are you building actual spinners? No paper clips?

F
FishSchooler
Yes, actual spinners, no paperclips. :lol: Went to b c, it was closed (on sundays). Went to fisherman's, bought some black brs, reg brs, and copper blades, 16 wires, a bunch of beads, tubing, and to my disappointment, all the bodies were out of stock... There were so many places empty where different beads, bodies and blades should be. So I ended up with 10 brass bodies (in kinda a bullet shaped way), 5 yellow and 5 gold colored. Photobucket is not working for some reason, freezing up. So i had 6 wires that were not going to have a body, substitute? Ginormous beads! :lol: I made one, only one dandy slayer cause I only had 1 body from a old bf. Then I made my own version: Kevin's Koho Kandy... :lol: And another: Kevin's Kolorful Kracky Koho Katcher... :lol: and some other weird combos, like blk brs and colorful big orange beads. Thing was, the cost was 56 bucks, including tags and 330 yards of 17 lb sufix siege... much more than I expected... Atleast Im savin cause one spinner right now is about 1 buck if I make, 4 if I buy a premade. Oh yeah, and the plain blades that you buy seperately have so much more shine than blue foxes have! I was surprised, especially by copper and blk brs.

F
FishFinger
Good for you little buddy... Would have rather seen you shop at B.C's but we all have to start somewhere right? I am quite new at this spinner game myself.

Did you make the wire long enough so you can spin tune it?

Get them pictures workin'

B
bigdog
FishSchooler said:
Kevin's Koho Kandy... .
Might want to be carefull with naming them there. someone tries to abbreviate that and could be took the wrong way.

F
FishFinger
bigdog said:
Might want to be carefull with naming them there. someone tries to abbreviate that and could be took the wrong way.

It might really be troublesome if word got out you were catching "dark" fish..

In the words of Martin Luther King Salmon... "Don't judge a fish by its color, judge it by the flavor of its meat."

Last edited:
F
FreshMoneyFisher
FishFinger said:
Glad to hear you did well. I was wondering how opening day of hunting season would impact the crowds at CC. It's a great area to fish w/o the hordes.

I just got back into town and I'll be hitting the Sandy hard for Silvers till halloween. Perhaps I will see you there.

Thanks for the info FF, that explains the 'not so heavy' dose of fishermen. Now that you say it, there was a guy I talked with who mentioned he thought it was the first day of hunting.

Definitely makes the morning a little nicer when you don't have to deal with massive crowds.

I think I'll be drifting the Sandy myself for the rest of the month as well, see what kind of damage I can cause out there. Good luck to you, and it would be cool to see some of the members like yourself up there.

F
FishSchooler
bigdog said:

Oh yeah... shoot.... :rolleyes::lol::naughty:

Fishfinger-have you tried making the bottom(where the hook is) eye like the bfs? You just double it up then slide the bottom bead and body onto it so the eye and body stuff is all held together with tension. This is much easier than making an eye, and it makes the spinner much more balanced... for me... If you do it right, It seems much stronger than a regular eye, cause eyes can slip... :)

99 8" wires on the wall... 99 8" wires, take on down, turn it around, 98 8" wires on the wall... :D

F
FishFinger
I'm going to hit C.C. this afternoon and tomorrow for the evening bite. Take Friday off and will pretty much be spending the weekend there... Or until I retain my limits.

YeeHaw.... Haven't wet a line for Salmon in 8 days.... Time a wastin'

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Are you gonna be at dodge on sunday? Please? :D

F
FishFinger
FishSchooler said:
Are you gonna be at dodge on sunday? Please? :D

No.... I'm hittin' my honey hole @ Cedar Creek.

I prefer having the bottom loop, I check the balance of the hook them start stacking components.

F
FreshMoneyFisher
FishFinger said:
No.... I'm hittin' my honey hole @ Cedar Creek.

I prefer having the bottom loop, I check the balance of the hook them start stacking components.

Honey Hole? I've been up there 2 times, so I've seen a few holes but don't know them by local name.

I'll be heading up to Cedar Creek Saturday for sure, hopefully Friday as well. Leave some nice and bright fish for me please.

F
Fishtopher
FreshMoneyFisher said:
Honey Hole? I've been up there 2 times, so I've seen a few holes but don't know them by local name.

I'll be heading up to Cedar Creek Saturday for sure, hopefully Friday as well. Leave some nice and bright fish for me please.

When he says, "my honey hole", thats just the spot that he loves catchin fish at. You too can have your own "honey hole", you just have to find a good spot, then, a)catch fish there, and b)catch more fish there.
I dont really know the names of the holes up there either, but Im pretty sure there's the Okie Drift, Slaughter Hole, and others.

Now a guy like me, shoot, everywhere I go is my "honey hole"...;):cool::tongue::yay:

Uhh...just kiddin. But it is nice to have more than one. In fact, you should have at least one for every body of water you fish, and then one for all different species you fish for.

F
FreshMoneyFisher
Fishtopher said:
When he says, "my honey hole", thats just the spot that he loves catchin fish at. You too can have your own "honey hole", you just have to find a good spot, then, a)catch fish there, and b)catch more fish there.
I dont really know the names of the holes up there either, but Im pretty sure there's the Okie Drift, Slaughter Hole, and others.

Now a guy like me, shoot, everywhere I go is my "honey hole"...;):cool::tongue::yay:

Uhh...just kiddin. But it is nice to have more than one. In fact, you should have at least one for every body of water you fish, and then one for all different species you fish for.

Gotcha, thanks dude.....if all goes well, I could establish my first honey hole on the Sandy this saturday....already pulled 3 hens from it 2 weeks ago, just need to seal the deal with more fish this weekend.

F
Fishtopher
Yep. You just need one more limit...:D