Dodge park Sandy river

B
boberdown
heard rumors fish came out of this area yesterday so eastcounty rookie and i hit it hard late afternoon water low and clear and did not touch a thing! ran into an old timer that was there since this morning said his friend caught a nice hen in the morning and around 10 o clock another guy released a nice native. the old timer believes the the fish probly moved up river and anything below cedar creek would be a great bet.river is at 9.35 and steady we would love to go hit the old shopert hole but not crossable at this river level.

any sugestions?
take care and god bless
boberdown

Irishrover
Irishrover
boberdown said:
heard rumors fish came out of this area yesterday so eastcounty rookie and i hit it hard late afternoon water low and clear and did not touch a thing! ran into an old timer that was there since this morning said his friend caught a nice hen in the morning and around 10 o clock another guy released a nice native. the old timer believes the the fish probly moved up river and anything below cedar creek would be a great bet.river is at 9.35 and steady we would love to go hit the old shopert hole but not crossable at this river level.

any sugestions?
take care and god bless
boberdown

From what I've seen and heard I think the fish are spread throughout the river. I've seen fish caught at Dodge, Oxbow and Dabney. I just haven't seen them caught in great numbers. The water is cold and the fish arn't that active. I'm going to be hitting the pocket water areas when I get back from Culver. Need to head over there for a wee bit. There just seems to be a lot more sand in the river this year and I'm going to avoid those sandy area. Good luck to you;)

F
fishnquest
I fished dodge park tuesday morn. there was one guy there before me and had one on the bank; it was the only one caught there all morning while i was there. went to oxbow to finish the day; didn't see any hookups, not for a lack of trying. the fish are there, im sure, just got to get better at getting them (see the 10% rule thread)
personally, im lkg fwd to the coming rain; tight lines everyone

B
bigdog
I don't think it is the rain that we need here, the water levels have been more then high enough for them to come in. The numbers just aren't very good right now, but they are there just have to be in the right spot at the right time.

L
luv2fish
Whatever the reason is the rain gonna make fishing good. You'll see. Its not that there's less water. Its the cycle which is set up in nature. Its the fish psychology. Rain acts as an indicator that its time to move.

And I've a question..why's the fishing at its best right after rain ( atleast 95% of time )?????????????????????????????

F
FishFinger
We are quickly approaching a waxing moon, that and the addition of a freshit; catching should be on the up swing!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
fresh what?

fresh what?

FishFinger said:
We are quickly approaching a waxing moon, that and the addition of a freshit; catching should be on the up swing!

I love having friends who know the technical side of things, like waxing and waning moons and especially freshit stuff. :D :clap:
Barb

F
FishSchooler
luv2fish said:
And I've a question..why's the fishing at its best right after rain ( atleast 95% of time )?????????????????????????????

My thinkin is that the fish are in cover, not feeding when its rainin and bugs get washed into the river. Then after, its a feedin time! And after it rains, worms come out (maybe not in winter tho) and they might get washed into the river too.

N
ninja2010
luv2fish said:
Whatever the reason is the rain gonna make fishing good. You'll see. Its not that there's less water. Its the cycle which is set up in nature. Its the fish psychology. Rain acts as an indicator that its time to move.

this is true for salt water too...

the best theory i heard was that fresh rain brings "new" water - different salinity, chemical content, temperature, etc. and that excites the fish when it mixes with the "old" water. sorta like walking into a mall after sweating it outside in summer or getting soggy and cold in winter - the a/c (in summer) or heater (in winter) makes one to feel good.

M
meluvtrout
Low barometric pressure brings rain. During low pressure times fish usually become less aggressive and stay deeper. After the rain's over, that's when the barometric pressure start rising, (supposedly) so will the fish towards the surface. Brighter & slow moving lures should be getting fish's attention.

Then again these are some theories, and right or wrong, I have no idea. Personally, I still think "location" is the most important factor that will affect your day of quality fishing...

H
Hawk
The water temperature affects the feeding/strike habits of most fish i look for........& location......................:D