Do you still own/fish with gear?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
So I've been contemplating for a while of thinning the non-fly tackle heard a bit more. As it stands, I've only got 3 fly rods. I've got 9 or 10 gear rods (not counting the stuff I inherited from my B-i-L, which I'll never part with) and have been wondering sometimes why I have so many, and have been toying with the idea of selling some/most of the gear stuff and picking up another fly rod or two.

I've got 3 ultra light spinning rods, same make & model, just differing lengths. I could probably easily get by with just 1 of those, for the times when I get the itch to pitch gear (and I have been about 50% of the time lately, because I've been doing a lot of jig fishing this season).

I've got 1 or 2 other ultra light spin rods that almost never, ever get used. I've got 2 bass bait casting outfits and a steelhead casting outfit - I could probably sell those and not feel too horrible. It's a lot more fun, for me, to catch a bass (even a smaller one) on a deer hair or cork top water popper/diver, than it is to dredge one up from 20-30 feet of water with a plastic worm. (But one of those inherited rods is a bassin' stick, which I'll still probably use from time to time)

I could probably sell my steelhead bait casting outfit, as I have to spin rods I inherited that are steelhead rods (one is identical in length to my casting rod, and is a medium action rod. The other is a longer medium light bobber & jig rod)

I lost my box of trout spinners a week or so ago - ALL of my trout spinners, along with my micro crank baits and some trout size jigs - gone. When I did a quick talley of what it'd cost to replace that one stupid little plano box of gear - I came up with about $160. $160 will get me another fly rod, maybe even a rod & line.

I can't think of a way to fish that is more fun than fly fishing - I have a lot of fun, even if I don't catch any or many fish - and I think I have more fun with a fly rod in hand than I do fishing the same water, for the same fish, with a spin rod.

I probably wouldn't divest myself entirely of the gear - sometimes gear is simply much more effective if you're really looking to get into fish - but I've been seriously considering getting rid of some of the gear and just letting the fly fever take more of a foothold. Hell, I've even toyed with the idea of getting a switch rod or spey rod for steelhead and salmon.

I really want another short, light weight small stream fly rod - something like a 6' 1 to 3 weight rod - I have been eyeing up the Cabela's CGR rods - ever since Brad got his and posted about it on his blog, and getting one of those in the 6 or 7 weight would be neat.

Anyone else go through this?

O
Outdoor_Myers
I hear ya I really want to get into fly fishing but dont have the funds or knowledge to get started and not knowing where to go, But what are the steelhead and bass combos you have? and how much for the pair? if you end up selling them.

troutdude
troutdude
GungasUncle said:
Hell, I've even toyed with the idea of getting a switch rod or spey rod for steelhead and salmon.

Uh oh. Hey Ninja...I think this bloke may be about to make the transition to the DARK SIDE!

G.U. If you do decide to sell any of the rods, I'd be interested to hear about any fiberglass sticks you may have...especially any "S-Glass" Fenwick's or Lami's!

O
Outdoor_Myers
I want to learn how to fly fish so badly :(

N
ninja2010
troutdude said:
Uh oh. Hey Ninja...I think this bloke may be about to make the transition to the DARK SIDE!

that's not the dark side - though it is very addictive side... he will be most welcomed to the wonderful world of rocket launchers :lol:

to answer your question, uncle of gungas, since my conversion, all my gear rods and reels have taken up permanent residence in the far corner of my garage. maybe someday i'll pull them out, take some pix, and post in the classifieds. for now, i'm just having too much fun swinging all kinds of flies.

L
lilsalmon
I got rid of most of my gear stuff....my son has a couple of my poles in Portland but we have since got him into fly fishing and I have a rod here with an empty reel. Have to get a job before I can get it set up for him. I catch way more fish now than when I was tossing and losing spinners, etc....

troutdude
troutdude
ninja2010 said:
that's not the dark side - though it is very addictive side... he will be most welcomed to the wonderful world of rocket launchers :lol:

I had a hunch, that would get your attention Jimmy! LOL

G.U. If you have never seen Captain Skunkage fling his spey rod; you will be amazed. He's got the magic Ninja thing goin' on with one!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I gotta say, after watching some spey guys out on the Clack and the Sandy earlier this year, it sparked further interest in learning that method - and since it's been almost forever since I caught a salmon or a steelhead, gear or no, I always thought "if I can't get 'em, I might as well not get 'em in style, right?" -- not to mention the spey rod looks like it'd be less tiring at the end of the day than trying to constantly double haul heavy lines and flies on a single hander.

15 years of fly fishing, I've had these thoughts before, never sold the gear, but I have had years where I almost never touched a spinning or casting rod. I think I might just be getting closer though, to selling or trading some rods though.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
E
eggs
Own...... Yes
Use...... No

T
Trout
Yes I would like a nice 4wt stick .... no I do not have the scratch :(

Last edited:
T
Trout
Outdoor_Myers said:
I want to learn how to fly fish so badly :(

Get a copy of The Curtis Creek Manifesto --- about $7 worth every penny. Read it a couple of times --- look for a used 5wt or 6wt fly rod

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Trout said:
Get a copy of The Curtis Creek Manifesto --- about $7 worth every penny. Read it a couple of times --- look for a used 5wt or 6wt fly rod

Curtis Creek Manifesto should be mandatory reading for fly fishers or would be fly fishers :)

T
Trout
I no longer use any spin gear for trout or bass. I do keep a nice spin rod setup for a visiting friend or relative to use. And I have kept 2 fairly heavy duty salmon / steelhead rods. I plan to try some surf fishing and those rods should work for that.

M
Mad dog
Loves me some gear caught fish!!!
004-7.jpg
I've caught lots of fish flyfishing!!! Probably more than the vast majority of members of this forum! Used to guide flyfishermen!!! That said, Never gonna quit using gear...it will always have practical applications for fishing! A couple of months from now I plan on fishing some whole Ahi tuna heads for reef sharks!!! I think I'll keep my gear! ;) :D