Do you know these spinners?

C_Run
C_Run
I bought three Ziplock bags full of old fishing lures at a thrift shop for $11 last year. There were quite a few old lures and homemade tackle amongst it all. The picture is of four spinners or some sort of gear that look useful for trout trolling maybe. Three of them have a spring that scoots up and down so you could slip a hook or swivel on the bottom end. Do you suppose that there should be a hook or maybe something trailing farther back?
P1050093.JPG
They are really light weight. Is it some form of pop gear?

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Those are indeed small and won't get down without some weight (or they listen to K.C. & The Sunshine Band...lol).

While I primarily buy vintage tackle; I haven't seen any quite like those. The ones with springs look like they'd work as intended. By connecting them to other tackle. But the one in the lower right doesn't look like it would perform correctly. Unless I am mistaken.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. Perhaps a call to Scotland Yard in is order? ;-)

C_Run
C_Run
I'm considering trailing a hook with a chunk of worm and some weight. Why not?

troutdude
troutdude
Yes sir that would likely work well. Like using a dodger. With the worm about 8 - 10" behind the blades.

Not to be confused with Roger Dodger. LOL

Bake
Bake
Back before the plastic baits were wiggling and need more action, we would tie our mainline to these spinners, and then hook the spinner to the hooks buried in the plastic baits. We would also use these spinners with live bait, lip hooked mirrors, head hooked nightcrawlers ( with their tails full of air ). We did this mainly while chasing walleye back in the Northern Midwest. We used Long LIne, Lead Line, and Mooching styles of "back trolling"...

Last edited:
Reactions: C_Run
C_Run
C_Run
Bake said:
Back before the plastic baits were wiggling and need more action, we would tie our mainline to these spinners, and then hook the spinner to the hooks buried in the plastic baits. We would also use these spinners with live bait, lip hooked mirrors, head hooked nightcrawlers ( with their tails full of air ). We did this mainly while chasing walleye back in the Northern Midwest. We used Long LIne, Lead Line, and Mooching styles of "back trolling"...

So the hook was attached directly rather than hanging back a ways?

Reactions: troutdude
EOBOY
EOBOY
The one on the lower left was my go to back in the 70's on the Clack way up high close to the Calawash. Chunk of worm!

Reactions: C_Run
Bake
Bake
C_Run said:
So the hook was attached directly rather than hanging back a ways?
Yes, because the blades were so small, they couldn't make the whole bait dance. Their job was just to add flash and attract the bigger fish ( walleye & sometime a Northern )...

Reactions: Casting Call and C_Run
C_Run
C_Run
Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to trying these out this spring.

D
Don Fischer
That lower right one looks something like the Colorado spinner's we used to fish for trout with.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Flashers, flashers, flashers! kokes, trouts etc. To be trolled off the mainline in front of whatever, spoon, worm, wiggle bait. Just ask an oldtimer. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
See the quick change trailing loop. Tony

C_Run
C_Run
Update. I still have not tried these out (thank you virus). I've only started up fishing a couple of times lately. I still want to troll these out of my kayak when the chance comes up.

Chromatose
Chromatose
lindy Little Joe spinners came in a assortment of blade colors and double and single blade combinations. These were as said, attached to a leader with any type of trailer bait. I still use them today trailing Wooly Buggers. These are a older branded lure and are very hard to find. Here is the only find I could get from google. I now twist up my own.