Do you know any fly hatches in Oregon?

E
eaglecreekcustom
I am getting into fly fishing in Oregon and am wondering if you know some fly hatches in Oregon? If you do, what is the date of that hatch? Thank you

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Personally, I don’t think about hatches all that much. I find not thinking about hatches simplifies my life.

There are a lot of styles of fly fishing, and a lot of approaches that work. Most people eventually find a way of fishing that works for them and go with that. If you are interested in hatches because you find hatches interesting, that’s great! But you don’t actually need to worry about hatches all that much unless you want to.

Using myself as an example. Unless I find myself unexpectedly surrounded by big numbers of a particular insect (and perhaps more importantly trout that are keyed in on one insect to the exclusion of other insects) then I just do what I normally do, which is nymph. I carry a few dries for emergencies, but unless I see a LOT of fish rising I don’t usually tie one on.

The same with streamers. I know they work great, and catch better than average sized fish, but to me streamers are too similar to gear, and if I wanted to use gear to catch trout I would just use gear.

So everyone is different. But to be clear, there are some epic hatches in Oregon, and if you want to target them then you have plenty to look forward to.

Just don’t ask me where they are lol

Reactions: eaglecreekcustom
Grant22
Grant22
Whenever you go, just flip over some rocks and observe what bugs are flying or swimming around then try to "match the hatch" as you've probably heard a million times. In the spring time on the Deschutes there's the salmon fly hatch and at that time of year you could put a shoestring on a hook and catch fish.

Reactions: Chromatose and eaglecreekcustom
Chromatose
Chromatose
Grant22 said:
In the spring time on the Deschutes there's the salmon fly hatch and at that time of year you could put a shoestring on a hook and catch fish.
Well Put!

jamisonace
jamisonace
My favorite hatch is the March Brown on the McKenzie in late March....usually.....temps and water flow are factors.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I also like the Salmon Fly Hatch on the Upper Rogue in June. October Caddis on the Mckenzie can be fun. Caddis Hatch all summer. In the winter when there isn't a significant hatch I've done really well on large searching patters such as a mega prince or stonefly nymph. I don't fly fish more than a couple times a year but if I did there's enough going on around here to keep a person busy.

Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
good info above also try Westfly

F
Fred
I found a school of rising cutthroat this fall, and they ignored the first few flies I tried. I went through several dries before noticing the flies they were eating were very small, so I downsized and tied on a small mahogany dun. I caught fish on my first several cast with dun fly and caught close to 8 cutthroat and one rainbow. I then went upriver and caught some rainbows on the same dry. I started using a double dry fly set up and the fish ignored the second similar-sized fly and would only hit the mahogany dun. I used the other fly because it was easier to spot since the mahogany dun was so small I was losing track of it. I did catch a few on caddis emerger flies and one on a big October caddis. Salmon fly hatch is a lot of fun too. I've heard of green drake hatches in some rivers being a fun hatch to fish.

• IMG_5517.jpg
  • IMG_5531.jpg
Reactions: DOKF
DOKF
DOKF
Nice fish!

Reactions: Fred
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Beautiful critters for sure.

Reactions: Fred