Do you guys and gals.....

hobster
hobster
Do you turn in your tags at the end/beginning of the year when you get new ones? I heard in WA you cannot get new tags unless the last years is turned in. I have in the past but a buddy of mine doesn't because he is disguisted with ODFW, like lots of people. I gotta admit, the last 2 years i have not turned them in. They re kinda cool to have although these days you can just take a picture and store it. Just curious...

O
OnTheDrop
It makes no sense cause I lose licenses and tags every year from one thing or another. It pretty much stays in my wallet these days, but when you're on the water often, **** happens. Are they not going to give me my license because my other one is floating down the Siletz? Lol. I think they'd rather have my money instead...

hobster
hobster
Good point, i wonder if there is any truth to the WA thing.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't bother to turn them in.

...but I don't keep them either. They go in the trash.

C_Run
C_Run
Some time ago I heard they only get about 20% back.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I bet that's about right.

C_Run said:
Some time ago I heard they only get about 20% back.

P
playhooky
In years past ODFW baited us with a driftboat drawing for turning in last years tags. I never checked into it but never heard of anyone ever winning the boat. After looking through the new 2016 reg book I don't even see the expired tag drawing being OFFered anymore. I rarely ever turned them in anyway.

jamisonace
jamisonace
They couldn't afford to do the drawing because they spent the money on fancy reg booklets.

playhooky said:
In years past ODFW baited us with a driftboat drawing for turning in last years tags. I never checked into it but never heard of anyone ever winning the boat. After looking through the new 2016 reg book I don't even see the expired tag drawing being OFFered anymore. I rarely ever turned them in anyway.

D
DrTheopolis
playhooky said:

Sometime in the 90's, I won 3rd place -- got some cool ODFW 100th Anniversary schwag.

I turn mine in every year... since it's the law and stuff, and I don't pick and choose which fishing rules I follow.

hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
I don't bother to turn them in.

...but I don't keep them either. They go in the trash.

I like to keep records, i'm dorky like that. I'd keep a copy if i turned them in, it's fun to look back on them and remember the year/river conditions.

S
sapo
Ya idc whether your supposed to turn them in or not cuz I don't

EOBOY
EOBOY
hobster said:
Do you turn in your tags at the end/beginning of the year when you get new ones? I heard in WA you cannot get new tags unless the last years is turned in. I have in the past but a buddy of mine doesn't because he is disguisted with ODFW, like lots of people. I gotta admit, the last 2 years i have not turned them in. They re kinda cool to have although these days you can just take a picture and store it. Just curious...

I turn mine into BI-Mart, lord only knows what they do with them, I think they just trash 'em.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we always have returned our tags to get in the drawings and support data collection...

returning Combined Angling and Hatchery tags plus daily licenses will apparently be required soon, I am expecting an announcement on it in 2016.

This is from the Coastal Multi-Species Conservation and Management Plan (CMP), final version, adopted June 2014, page71:
------------------
Improved Estimates of Harvest

Estimates of salmon and steelhead harvest are currently based on the voluntary return of anglers’ Combined Angling Tags...and Daily Angling Licenses..... To help ensure a better and more reliable estimate of salmon and steelhead harvest, ODFW will make the reporting of harvested salmon and steelhead mandatory by requiring the return of Combined Angling Tags, Hatchery Harvest Tags, and Daily Angling Licenses annually.

The details and process for implementing mandatory reporting have not been finalized. To be effective, the mandatory rule will need to be backed up with a fine, denial of future licenses for a period of time, or some other penalty for non-compliance in order to encourage anglers to turn their tags in. These and other details will be determined during the early implementation of this plan.
----------------

jamisonace
jamisonace
I expected this. They already do it with hunting. I didn't buy a deer tag last year because I owe the fine.

rogerdodger said:
we always have returned our tags to get in the drawings and support data collection...

returning Combined Angling and Hatchery tags plus daily licenses will apparently be required soon, I am expecting an announcement on it in 2016.

This is from the Coastal Multi-Species Conservation and Management Plan (CMP), final version, adopted June 2014, page71:
------------------

Estimates of salmon and steelhead harvest are currently based on the voluntary return of anglers’ Combined Angling Tags...and Daily Angling Licenses..... To help ensure a better and more reliable estimate of salmon and steelhead harvest, ODFW will make the reporting of harvested salmon and steelhead mandatory by requiring the return of Combined Angling Tags, Hatchery Harvest Tags, and Daily Angling Licenses annually.

The details and process for implementing mandatory reporting have not been finalized. To be effective, the mandatory rule will need to be backed up with a fine, denial of future licenses for a period of time, or some other penalty for non-compliance in order to encourage anglers to turn their tags in. These and other details will be determined during the early implementation of this plan.
----------------

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have a friend that has records for over 25 years including weather and water conditions for many Oregon rivers. He references it all the time and it's a huge help. I wish I weren't so lazy, I'd do it too.

hobster said:
I like to keep records, i'm dorky like that. I'd keep a copy if i turned them in, it's fun to look back on them and remember the year/river conditions.

P
playhooky
DrTheopolis said:
Sometime in the 90's, I won 3rd place -- got some cool ODFW 100th Anniversary schwag.

I turn mine in every year... since it's the law and stuff, and I don't pick and choose which fishing rules I follow.

I had never heard of it being a law. I always thought it was optional. If it is a law or rule it's obviously never been enforced.

B
bubs
DrTheopolis said:
I don't pick and choose which fishing rules I follow.

So what, you just make them up lol?

The first year I bought a license and tags in Oregon I turned them in the next year when I went to buy my license and the guy at Bimart looked confused and was like "uh, I guess I could throw these away for you?" And then he did....Maybe it's just this particular Bimart, but you'd think if it was important to ODFW to up their VOLUNTARY tag return they would, you know, at least let dealers know that it's a thing?? And have the folks at the dealers ask people as they buy new licenses?

hobster
hobster
bubs said:
So what, you just make them up lol?

The first year I bought a license and tags in Oregon I turned them in the next year when I went to buy my license and the guy at Bimart looked confused and was like "uh, I guess I could throw these away for you?" And then he did....Maybe it's just this particular Bimart, but you'd think if it was important to ODFW to up their VOLUNTARY tag return they would, you know, at least let dealers know that it's a thing?? And have the folks at the dealers ask people as they buy new licenses?

I have always bought my tags at Bi mart and there is always a little box to turn in your old tags. I think twice they have asked me to turn in the old ones.

rogerdodger said:

------------------

----------------

Yup saw this coming as well. I don't think it's a bad thing, it must be nearly impossible to estimate catch rates without them. Just hope hey don't increase the fees even more to have funds to count them.

B
bubs
hobster said:
I have always bought my tags at Bi mart and there is always a little box to turn in your old tags. I think twice they have asked me to turn in the old ones.

That's good to hear, my local Bimart must just be particularly lame about it.

jamisonace
jamisonace
hobster said:
it must be nearly impossible to estimate catch rates without them.

I think the fish counters at the ramps do a pretty good job getting numbers that can be extrapolated.