Do trout breed in Hagg Lake?

Fred

Went fishing at Hagg lake yesterday and there was a bunch of fish jumping and surfacing. I hooked three small trout and got a nice bite from a bigger sized trout. There were a ton of small trout following my lure ranging from 3-8 inches are those trout hatchery or did they hatch in the lake?

troutdude

The lake does have a small population of native cutthroat. I'm not sure if any of the hatchery raised rainbows spawn. But they might.

By the way...I did some research last night and didn't find anything that indicated; that the 'Bows reproduce in Hagg. Although anything is possible.

Last edited:

Fred

Mister Bisley;n614168 said:
What area of the lake were you fishing? They just released 8,000 legal sized rainbows within the last 2 weeks. Thinking about heading there tomorrow.
Close to the damn, near that U shaped spot.

troutdude

Fred I've seen LOTS of small fish school up in that area, when trolling. Have yet to see anything of any great size in there. But there's always an exception to the rule.

Fred;n614183 said:
Close to the damn, near that U shaped spot.
Elks Recreation Area...I refer to it as Elks Cove so it has a reference. It’s where I fished yesterday as well. I was told by an old-timer that the locals refer to it as “Retirement Cove”, hahaha. Anyway, the bite was absolutely amazing yesterday. It took me an hour to get my second rod in the water, because I would cast and then have a fish on in about a minute or less. I caught 14 rainbows and had about 25 bites total, using Chartruese and Rainbow Powerbait colors w/garlic scent and a non-garlic Pink. I was also using a Panther Martin Holographic Spinner #4 in blue/silver and it was getting hits at all depths.

Fred

Mister Bisley;n614187 said:
Elks Recreation Area...I refer to it as Elks Cove so it has a reference. Its where I fished yesterday as well. I was told by an old-timer that the locals refer to it as “Retirement Cove”, hahaha. Anyway, the bite was absolutely amazing yesterday. It took me an hour to get my second rod in the water because I would cast and then have a fish on in about a minute or less. I caught 14 rainbows and had about 25 bites total, using Chartreuse and Rainbow Powerbait colors w/garlic scent and a non-garlic Pink. I was also using a Panther Martin Holographic Spinner #4 in blue/silver and it was getting hits at all depths.
I'll have to use power bait next time, Do the plastic eggs work better than the stuff you have to make balls out of?

troutdude

Ah yes...the age old conundrum of Power Bait vs. Power Eggs.

In short, IMO, Power Eggs are WAY BETTER. Here's a thread that I started several years ago, containing the reasons why.

troutdude

Golfbum;n614200 said:
I switched from Power Bait to Power Eggs, Power Eggs catches more fish.
:D
Yep. WAY MORE than the bait! Because they stay on your hook forever.

Plus I've spent a LOT LESS $$ on Eggs too boot. Because the Eggs are reusable and catch fish, after fish, after fish, after fish...without having to put more Eggs on.

I can definitely see that from an economical point of view, but in my experience, I seem to regularly catch better numbers and size when using bait. Could be a coincidence though. Getting doughfingers is probably my least favorite part about it.

I’ve seen a pic of troutdude on bestfishinginamerica (I think), holding an absolute HOG of a trout out of Hagg...was that with eggs?

troutdude

Mister Bisley;n614210 said:
I can definitely see that from an economical point of view, but in my experience, I seem to regularly catch better numbers and size when using bait. Could be a coincidence though. Getting doughfingers is probably my least favorite part about it.

I’ve seen a pic of troutdude on bestfishinginamerica (I think), holding an absolute HOG of a trout out of Hagg...was that with eggs?
Yes indeed--way less messy. I also put a few drops of my secret oil blend into each container--if my Power Eggs--the night before an outing. So they'll be "re-scented", when it's time to fish.

Good eye Mister B. But that isn't me. Sadly...lol

I was just the photographer (with a low budget phone camera at that time). That guy was passing by me, on the bank, out in a pontoon. The dude next to me, and I, both saw that hog leap out of the water with the lure in its mouth. And our eyes bugged out! :yikes:

It took the guy with that fish FORTY FIVE minutes, to get into shore. So that we could net it for him. We even had to coax his friend, in another toon, to row over. Then hook both toons together; and row everything to the bank!

A short time later, I saw it get measured and weighed. It was a 29" one year hold-over, and tipped the scales to 11.32 pounds! I'm attaching another pic, that I took that day. I believe that the spoon is called a Humdinger. Or something like that.

Attachments

WOW!!! What a fishing story...catch of a lifetime indeed! Hagg has some lunkers for sure.

Great idea to marinate your power eggs. I always thought that they would capture human scent and trout are pretty good in the sniffing department. Not sure why I didn’t think about that idea. Thanks for the tip.

troutdude

Yes it was an awesome thing. About 20 of us bank maggots actually reeled our gear in, and made room for them to get to shore.

Glad you liked that tip. I use a few drops in each jar. Then roll each jar around a bit, so it can coat all of the eggs.

The base of my "secret oil" is Berkley's Trout Scent. Then I add garlic, salmon roe, anise, and shrimp oil into the mix. Or whatever else I have on hand. The garlic is help catch those Italian transplants. :D

troutdude

Mister Bisley;n614215 said:
What colors do you guys prefer?
I always carry White, Bubble Gum (pink & white), Orange, Lemon Lime (green and yellow), and Chartreuse. My "go to" upon arrival at a spot is Orange on one rod. And the Lemon Lime on the other rod. Then start changing colors, and depths, until its dialed in.