Do they sell live herring in Oregon?

C

Cstylezwayz

Does anyone know of a place around the Portland area that sells live herring?

G

GDBrown

Use of live bait

Use of live bait

The Regs say.....

Use of Fish for Bait
1. It is unlawful to: transport live fish into, within or out of this state; hold any live fish in the waters of this state; or release or attempt to release any live fish into the waters of this state; except as provided by OAR 635-007-0600(3)(a) for aquaria fish intended for aquaria use and those holding a valid Fish Transport Permit.
2. Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
3. Dead fish, preserved fish, or parts of fish, shellfish and fish eggs may be used as bait. Goldfish may not be used as bait or in angler’s possession while angling.
4. It is unlawful to use lamprey as bait in any recreational fishery.
5. Live crayfish may not be used as bait and live crayfish taken for bait may not be released into Oregon waters except in the waterbody in which they were taken.
6. Live leeches may not be used as bait or in angler’s possession while angling.

H

halibuthitman

I am never even gonna consider baiting a live leeche...... period. never thought of the goldfish though... perhaps ran behind a flasher?

G

GDBrown

The one that always gets me is when soft plastic is considered bait and not an artificial lure.

B

BlackBass

There is not a place in Oregon that you can buy live herring. Above responses were just assumptions that you were going to fish with them , rather then answering your original question. If you want live herring you can go fish for them in Newport .

G

GDBrown

There is not a place in Oregon that you can buy live herring. Above responses were just assumptions that you were going to fish with them , rather then answering your original question. If you want live herring you can go fish for them in Newport .

Your assumption of my assuption is correct. I will not try assuming so much. Must be that I'm on a fishing forum that I made that kind of assumption. LOL

D

Drew9870

Banned User
If it helps catch fish in Oregon, it is outlawed, like chumming and using live fish/craws for bait.

Not saying I have done it :whistle:, but Redside Shiners are killer when used in the same water taken, the law on this is because people using fish from different waters and introducing them to another, I see absolutely nothing wrong with using something from its home water, other than it's illegal.

(Don't bother getting on my case if your against, I will :lol: at you)

H

halibuthitman

my dad always said that assume makes an ass...of....u..and... me... assume, but as it has already been predetermined that I am an ass... then nothing has changed today. You can buy live herring from pacific seafoods in Astoria if pre-ordered.

B

BlackBass

:)

Last edited:
H

Hawk

I never have been able to understand why i don't see live Pileworms or Bloodworms for sale in our Oregon? You can buy live Nightcrawlers, Redworms, Mealworms.

Fish love Pileworms. They are sold all over in CA.
:D

M

markasd

what in the world would anyone want live herring for other than to fish with em? really, Im curios is all?

C

Cstylezwayz

Thanks everyone for the live herring facts. I guess the "live" word was a bit strong. I probably should have said "fresh". Let me try this again....

Does anyone know where "fresh" herring is sold around Portland?

troutdude

troutdude

The one that always gets me is when soft plastic is considered bait and not an artificial lure.

Agreed. If a water is listed as "artificial fly or lure only", why can't we use Berkley's Power Worms, or GULP! Night crawlers? Both are "artificial"!

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Here is a place you can buy fresh bait. It's Tackel Time in Warrenton. There are lot of places to get fresh herring. My favorite is to fish for them in Yaquina Bay. When you get them keep them iced. If you by chance can not find fresh herring and you intend to use the herring for bait cured frozen herring will work.

Bait Shop

Cure site.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

Last edited:
troutdude

troutdude

According to the reg's...you cannot legally use live bait in Yaquina Bay, unless you catch that fish from that same bay:

2. Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.

In fact, that part of the reg's say's its even illegal to hold them for use...unless used in the same body of water that they are caught in.

I urge CAUTION.

H

halibuthitman

soft plastics especialy the grubs are said to have similar mortality rates on trout as live bait, so, i imagine they are classified where they are becouse catch and release is supposed to support sustainability... and its a bait that appears to go against it.... and they are also far to effective, almost better than a real worm or grub.