Do it yourself lure lol

W
wormosa
Diy make your own lake trout fishing lure
Make your own quick and easy fishing lure to land monster lake trout.

Lake trout are abundant throughout North America and the rest of the world. These lunker trout congregate deep in large cold-water lakes and can reach twenty pounds or more. Lake trout are much like any other trout species and they prefer a similar diet. This is good news for fisherman as it means a successful lure can be easily identified. Just find a lure that works well for other trout and chances are it will work for lake trout. In this do it yourself article, we will look at some of the reasons trout lures work and make a fishing lure that has been proven to catch monster lake trout.

Parts needed to build a lake trout fishing lure

The best fishing lures don't have to cost a fortune. Sometimes all a good lure needs is a hook and the right fishing hole. We will be making a bottle cap lure. This simple yet effective lure can be made with a couple fishing items or improvised with what you have available.

Here is what we need to get started:

Metal bottle cap

Hook (preferably a treble hook)

Swivel

Sinker (optional)

Pliers

1/8" drill bit and drill

Make that lure

Start by gripping the bottle cap between the pliers. Exert force until the bottle cap bends at the edges. Stop bending the cap when it starts to look like a taco shell and still has a wide enough gap to place the sinker inside. Put the sinker in the gap and close the edges of the cap around it with pliers. A small sinker should be used so it can move freely inside the bottle cap to produce a rattle. Several sinkers can be used depending on their size and your preference.

After the sinker is enclosed, a hole needs to be drilled at each tip of the lure about 1/8" away from the edge. One hole is for the hook while the other will connect to a swivel and fishing line. Since the lure is small, it should be held firmly by a vice or pliers when drilling. Some people prefer to drill the holes before bending the bottle cap. This can be done but it is more difficult to place the holes in the correct locations before the cap is bent.

Once the holes are drilled, the swivel and hook can be attached. The swivel simply clips on to one end of the lure. The hook may require a metal ring to attach it to the other side of the lure. These can be found at craft stores or lure shops. An alternate method is to wire or tie the hook onto the lure.

How to use the new lure

The new bottle cap lure we've just made can be used as a spinner, while trolling, or even as a jig. The odd movements along with noise and vibrations from the lure can excite the fish or agitate them enough to strike. The wobbling motion mimics a wounded minnow and is known for attracting lunker trout. The key is to keep the lure moving and make it interesting to the fish. If something doesn't work, try a different approach like an alternating retrieval speed. Mixing it up can be key to landing an otherwise uninterested lunker.

Other modifications and ideas

The bottle cap lure works because it is shiny, has odd movements, and it's noisy. With this in mind, other household objects can be added or substituted to create similar or totally new lures. The bowl of a spoon could be used in place of the bottle cap and a new (quiet) lure is produced. The end of a butter knife could be cut off and bent to create a shiny and wobbly lure. The lures can be painted or left as is. There are countless modifications that can be done and numerous objects to use. The limits are in your creativity and willingness to try different ideas.

When it comes down to it, the lure is only good if a fish will bite it. That large lake trout can wait a long time before running into the lure on the end of your pole. So enjoy the sport, take some pride in your homemade lure, and get out there to catch that trout.

T
TTFishon
That's funny because I've been thinking about making some of these for a while. There's actually a guy that sells these lures. His company is called The Bottle Cap Lure Company.

W
wormosa
i thought it was funny as well, i was looking for lures on sale on the net and that popped up and i had to post it

F
fishcreekspinners
2bit hooker

2bit hooker

Quarter with a split ring on one end and split-ringed treble on the other (need a vice and a drill).

F
fishnquest
Cool idea. Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

A
Anyfishisfine
I found one of these once along a river bank. I thought someone got bored watching someone else fish and made it.

W
wormosa
i hope someone trys it out and lets all of us know how it worked, no reason why it should not work....

A
Anyfishisfine
I bet it would work great for trout, and you have all kinds of ways to adjust it to change the action.

R
RLK
The next question is, what does a fish prefere coors light or coors original?

T
TTFishon
I think , as colors go, they'd like bud light lime.

E
eggs
Ok got drunk around a campfire and made a sweet flasher..

Take a beer can(I used coors light) and cut the top and bottom OFF and cut it down one side so it lays flat... punch a hole in 2 ends and run a wire through them and attach a ring to each end.. this keeps the can on the wire not your line.. the longer the wire the flatter the flasher make it to your desire I left some curve to the can.. fold one corner in.. you end up with a simi curved flasher.. it will spin and vibrate as it is soo thin.. I caught the first 3 fish the next day..

Try it out sometime.. run it inline as normal and wieght as needed above the flasher..

Beer can flasher!

T
TTFishon
eggs said:
Ok got drunk around a campfire and made a sweet flasher..

Take a beer can(I used coors light) and cut the top and bottom OFF and cut it down one side so it lays flat... punch a hole in 2 ends and run a wire through them and attach a ring to each end.. this keeps the can on the wire not your line.. the longer the wire the flatter the flasher make it to your desire I left some curve to the can.. fold one corner in.. you end up with a simi curved flasher.. it will spin and vibrate as it is soo thin.. I caught the first 3 fish the next day..

Try it out sometime.. run it inline as normal and wieght as needed above the flasher..

Beer can flasher!

That's a good one. I've thought about using a cd. They're pretty flashy too.

T
Thuggin4Life
How bought that! Next time I lose some gear I'll have to make one.

N
natro
Haha, this is a funny thread. A few weeks back I got to thinking about how the lure "spoon" got it's name. So I took an actual eating spoon, cut the handle off, and drilled 2 holes at each end. 1 for a snap swivel and the other for a little ring for the hook. Put it all together and tried it out, and it works perfect. Haven't heard of the bottle cap lure til now though. I might have to try that one out next.

T
TTFishon
natro said:
Haha, this is a funny thread. A few weeks back I got to thinking about how the lure "spoon" got it's name. So I took an actual eating spoon, cut the handle off, and drilled 2 holes at each end. 1 for a snap swivel and the other for a little ring for the hook. Put it all together and tried it out, and it works perfect. Haven't heard of the bottle cap lure til now though. I might have to try that one out next.

I've thought about doing that before. I was also thinking about doing that with the blade of a butter knife only put it in a vise and give it a little bend to give it some action.

N
natro
Yeah the eating spoon's action is perfect. I read on here someone mentioned drilling out and using a quarter. Right before I read this post I actually drilled out a penny and bent it and wanted to see how that would work. Havent tried it yet though. (I would use a quarter, but times are tough these days, LOL). I was watching a fishing show late last night on the Versus channel and the host makes all his own lures. Can't remember the name of it though.

T
TTFishon
Was the hosts name Larry Dahlberg?

N
natro
Yeah that's who it is. The episode I saw, he made his own lures for muskie, was catching some, but didn't like how the wings on his lure was acting, so went and made a mold from eating spoons for some new wings made out of rubber.

T
TTFishon
That's pretty cool. He some cool videos online too.

F
Finneus Polebender
TTFishon said:
I think , as colors go, they'd like bud light lime.

Maybe a red hook ale E.S.B.