Do I need a license?

S
Spydeyrch
So, I have a question to pose to you all.

If I have a stream/river running through my personal/private property, do I need a license to fish and retain my catch? I would think no but am not entirely sure.

What if my property runs up to the stream on one side but the other bank is either someone else's property or public land?

I am planning on visiting my mother in NE Washington (North Port) this coming year. She has about 80 acres of land up there and has several streams and rivers that run through her property completely and others that are only one bank on her land.

I kind of don't want to have to buy a non-resident license if i don't have too.

What do you think?

I guess I could always contact WDFW, right. :lol:

-Spydey

J
JAFO
Buy the liscense dude. Trust me.

P
PNW Sam
I would imagine that you would need a license, but I'm no expert on Washington's fish and wildlife rules. My thinking is that the stream doesn't end at the property line, and it goes somewhere, and the fish likely don't stay within the property their whole lives, so they don't belong to any one person.

But before I come to some conclusion on my own, I'd say just call WDFW.

S
Spydeyrch
JAFO said:
Buy the liscense dude. Trust me.

Sounds like you have had a personal experience in this area? Care to share? hehehehe :D

-Spydey

H
Herefishyfishy
This license is for residents ages 18 and older. All persons 14 years or older must have in possession a valid Oregon angling license to take any fish for personal use.

exceptions:
during one "Free Fishing Weekend" in June when no licenses or tags are required;
when taking smelt, shellfish, crayfish or bullfrogs;
Oregon resident landowners and members of their immediate family may angle on land they own and reside on;when angling in the Pacific Ocean within 3 miles of shore between Cape Falcon, OR and Leadbetter Point, WA, either a Washington resident license or an Oregon license is valid.

That is what I found for Oregon, could'nt find anything like it for WA.

F
fish4life
I know in Oregon you can fish a private pond without a fishing license but you need one for a stream or river whether it is on private property or not.

H
halibuthitman
well if your gonna be in north port the only really good fishing for trout is on sheep creek.. nice cutts, or you could head down towards marcus island on the columbia and catch walleye right from the bank. otherwise the Kettle river is one of the most frustrating rivers I have ever fished. Rocky lake is good for trout and the chain lakes on the Tiger highway ( gillette, coffin, black ) are great for cutts and deep lake north on the star alladin route is exellent if you have a float tube... but otherwise that whole country is ravines choked with buck brush alders and grizzly bears and timber wolves... pot farms and meth labs, right in the national forest, oh and if you head up toward orient............ bigfoot.. man I wish I was going with you! I miss that place... and yes, you need a fishing license, property rights only pertain to hunting and you still must go get the landowner harvest tags- Brad

S
Spydeyrch
halibuthitman said:
well if your gonna be in north port the only really good fishing for trout is on sheep creek.. nice cutts, or you could head down towards marcus island on the columbia and catch walleye right from the bank. otherwise the Kettle river is one of the most frustrating rivers I have ever fished. Rocky lake is good for trout and the chain lakes on the Tiger highway ( gillette, coffin, black ) are great for cutts and deep lake north on the star alladin route is exellent if you have a float tube... but otherwise that whole country is ravines choked with buck brush alders and grizzly bears and timber wolves... pot farms and meth labs, right in the national forest, oh and if you head up toward orient............ bigfoot.. man I wish I was going with you! I miss that place... and yes, you need a fishing license, property rights only pertain to hunting and you still must go get the landowner harvest tags- Brad

Thanks for the info Brad. I have found of late that you are just full of useful info (not rippin' on anyone else that replied. I appreciate your responses too, very much in fact. :D)

I don't know exactly when I am heading up there next year, but I think probably around the July time frame for the 4th. If you have some free time, you are welcome to come. :) I will keep in touch and let you know as things progress.

So it looks like I will have to get like a 5 day non-resident license. Oh well, they are only $40.

Take care everyone. :)

-Spydey

G
GDBrown
Yes to the License!

Yes to the License!

Spydeyrch said:
So, I have a question to pose to you all.

If I have a stream/river running through my personal/private property, do I need a license to fish and retain my catch? .........

-Spydey

Only if want to be totally honest with your fellow men!:pray:

Yes, it is required as Brad said. Get the license and sleep better!

GD

S
Spydeyrch
GDBrown said:
Only if want to be totally honest with your fellow men!:pray:

GD

Hahahahahaha, nice reference there GD!!! hahahahaha :lol:

Yeah, I am going to have to get it, which is fine. :)

-Spydey

G
GDBrown
Spydeyrch said:
Hahahahahaha, nice reference there GD!!! hahahahaha :lol:

Yeah, I am going to have to get it, which is fine. :)

-Spydey

I thought that would get you!

Have fun when you're there.