do hydrofoils work?

N
ninja2010
i've been thinking about installing one on my 5hp so my little inflatable could plane. right now, even with 2 peeps, it will not plane - even on almost wot, the stern just plows in and the bow reaches for the sky. worse when i'm alone. boat still goes pretty fast but i think i'm just wasting a lot of thrust.

if anyone has input on this, please let me know. thanks in advance.

oh, btw i was looking at the stingray junior...

T
Troutier Bassier
My old boat Did That. My dad took some 20lb Weigghts and put them on the Front of the Boat, Or he made me sit in Front.

N
ninja2010
yeah, i put a 100+ lb person on the front and it still doesn't work...

Chromatose
Chromatose
ninja2010, 30 Bucks well spent in my opinion.

D
Dan Feller
Do you have the motor trimmed all the way down?

N
ninja2010
Dan Feller said:
Do you have the motor trimmed all the way down?

yeah, it's all the way down to the last position of the lock pin (i think that's what it's called). should i remove that pin and have the shaft even lower?

chromatose: it's not the $40... i just don't want to drill the motor to install and find that it doesn't really do squat.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have that same one on my 9.9 Evinrude. I use it on my 16' Clackacraft. Before I put it on the boat really squated. The more power I put to the motor the more the squat. After I put the hydrofoil on it got a lot better, not perfect but a lot better. I think the 9.9 might be a we bit heavy but yes the hydrofoil helps.

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
thanks, irish... that's encouraging. the same thing happens on my 5 - the more i crank, the more the stern digs in... so if it helps your 9.9, it should work on the 5.

Troutski
Troutski
Factory equipment..

Factory equipment..

It is my belief that a hydrofoil should be standard factory equipment...I wouldn't run an outboard without one. I guess my vote would be "it is a good return on your investment".

Chuck

F
frodog
I installed one on my 75 horse merc so i could plane out at a lower speed and achieve plane sooner. It slowed my top speed down about 3mph but wow does it have lift now. I dont have to get to unsafe and uncomfortable speeds to get a smooth ride and really leveled it out. Very worth the 29.99 I spent.

N
ninja2010
...seems like the general consensus so far is, "go for it". :think: