DIY smoker

Echskech
Echskech
I work as an installation tec for a chemical company. Often, the job requires the use of large stainless water break tanks (2x2x4) that have welded drain piping. On occasion we will take these units out and they usually just go to scrap. After talking to some of my hunting friends we're in agreement that these chest Style holding tanks could make great meat smokers. Anybody have any experience building a diy hot (or) cold smoker?
Tips tricks and web page links would be most welcome!

• 20200302_143148.jpg
  • 20200302_143202.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Raincatcher
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Man, that looks like it would work pretty well after a good cleaning. It has been a while, but I have built one out of a large steel drum and one out an old wine barrel. Are you wanting this to be a hot or cold smoker?

Echskech
Echskech
I'm considering a hot smoker just for Simplicity sake as it would be my first build. The chimney along the side makes me think it would work well for cold smoke application also. Your wine barrel idea sounds interesting, how did you apply the Heat?

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I had a small potbelly/sheep herder wood stove that sat off to the side. I plumbed the chimney from the stove to the lower portion of the barrel. It was a cold smoker only. I saw plans for another version where they did something similar, but also placed a hot plate type electric burner in the bottom to create additional heat.

Reactions: Echskech
Casting Call
Casting Call
If you have never built a smoker before be ready to invest time and money in design, materials & labor, a cost that could run well over the cost of a high end smoker. WTBS It to me has become a labor of love to do it. I now own a 5 drawer file cabinet smoker, does hot and cold depending on heat. GL Tony

Last edited:
P
pinstriper
Filmed in Tillymuck, this is a terrible rip of the episode; the video and sound is WAAAAY off. If you can possibly find the original video, go for it.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
He has another episode, I think it is called junkyard chef or something like that, where he makes a smoker out of an old set of lockers.

P
pinstriper
TheKnigit said:
He has another episode, I think it is called junkyard chef or something like that, where he makes a smoker out of an old set of lockers.

Scrapiron Chef

Top Bottom