Discouraged???????

W
windburnt
so... im pissed with this river s*i^. originally from wisconsin, so this river stuff is crazy and im gettin to the point where im thinking ^%$# these river fish..... aaaarrrrrggggghhh.. ehehe... why are these trout breeds such a bi*^h????? i member when it was just bobber sinker hook...wtf? anybody that wants to assist or just come with me to make sure im doing it right, would be great.... chime in... thx:)

K
kmleopard
Where are ya fishing and what are ya fishing for? How long you been at it? Generally speaking, the learning curve on Steelhead and Salmon is fairly high. There's no substitute for perserverance and time. Talk to people who fish your water regularly . . . weed out the B.S. from the actual tips, and just having fun learning to chase fish in the great Northwest! Good Luck!

V
VagrantAngler
I'm assuming your going after salmon, what part of the state do you live in? I'd be more than willing to go fish with you if you're anywhere near the PDX area...
Or even out towards the coast

M
Mike123
I've heard the same thing from two other Great Lake area fisherman...
Defenetly more of a challenge here in Oregon.

V
VagrantAngler
I wonder why that would be that way mike? And if it does work that way; do we as PNW fishermen have a distinct advantage if we were to go to the great lakes and their tribs?

M
Mike123
VagrantAngler said:
I wonder why that would be that way mike? And if it does work that way; do we as PNW fishermen have a distinct advantage if we were to go to the great lakes and their tribs?

There are places over there to fish that can just be LOADED with fish. It can be a total different type of fishing though... You have fish that keg where the river dumps into the lake.. Lots of pier fishing, legal with two poles. Lots of small little creeks and rivers. Though I think we have more quality of fish for the most part.
Float fishing seems to be the most popular.. LONG ass rods with super tiny sensitive floats. Different baits.. alewives..leechs..lots of spawn sacks...maggots..wax worms..TINY jigs. Plus they get BIG lake run Browns which is no fair.. :( I don't think we would have an advantage, but I'm sure we would show a few locals something they've never tried before. Just as they would us if they came here to fish. Ever watched all those videos and shows of Great Lakes Salmon and "Trout" fishing??? Pretty cool stuff!
Funny a guy I know said the same thing when he got back from there a while ago... "fishing here is discouraging when I can go to my home town in WI and catch 30, 40 fish in one day." Makes me want to visit the Great Lakes! :D

W
windburnt
thx guys... been at it hard since this spring. been trying a lot of diff stuff and spent a lot. tired of not comin home with dinner..hehehe. im in eugene area but will go where the fish are. chime in.. :D

T
Thuggin4Life
I could help you get dinner next spring here localy fishing the rivers for trout or even trolling the local lakes. As for salmon i am not very expierenced...

J
JeannaJigs
I'm not by any means a proficient fish killer, but, I've killed a few. I usually bank fish, and know the middle siuslaw pretty well, and the upper siuslaw super well when it comes 'round to winter steelhead. If ya want to hit the bank sometime when the river finally decides to rise above a trickle, I could maybe get you into somethin'.

W
windburnt
thx all... just chime in when ur time is right for u and we can plan something.

J
JeannaJigs
For sure. Unfortunately I'm pretty limited to the weekends, but when we get some decent rain, and I think t here's some fish moving above the flats, i'll let ya know if I'm going.

W
windburnt
Mike123 said:
There are places over there to fish that can just be LOADED with fish. It can be a total different type of fishing though... You have fish that keg where the river dumps into the lake.. Lots of pier fishing, legal with two poles. Lots of small little creeks and rivers. Though I think we have more quality of fish for the most part.
Float fishing seems to be the most popular.. LONG ass rods with super tiny sensitive floats. Different baits.. alewives..leechs..lots of spawn sacks...maggots..wax worms..TINY jigs. Plus they get BIG lake run Browns which is no fair.. :( I don't think we would have an advantage, but I'm sure we would show a few locals something they've never tried before. Just as they would us if they came here to fish. Ever watched all those videos and shows of Great Lakes Salmon and "Trout" fishing??? Pretty cool stuff!
Funny a guy I know said the same thing when he got back from there a while ago... "fishing here is discouraging when I can go to my home town in WI and catch 30, 40 fish in one day." Makes me want to visit the Great Lakes! :D

only time i fished the great lakes was Lake erie.. and that was a small family trip targeting walleye and pike... never tried any sort of trout breed at all. im pretty green to this al;sdjfaosdjfopiaeoifjaoiewjhfoia.. stuff.. ehehe

A
autofisher
While I lived in Racine, I never got the chance to get out and do some fishing. I would always go into the sporting goods store and stare in amazement at the different rigs that the local fishermen would use for the local catches. They are way different. The biggest thing that I would say is that we've grown up around these rivers and obtained the knowledge of what to use and when to use it. To us it becomes a routine, for those new to the state it's a whole different ball game. Trying to over come what you've been taught and learn new tactics can be somewhat frustrating and very discouraging. The best advice I can give you, is to get out with some people who know what they're doing and mimic it. If that doesn't work, try dynamite :lol:

W
windburnt
autofisher said:
While I lived in Racine, I never got the chance to get out and do some fishing. I would always go into the sporting goods store and stare in amazement at the different rigs that the local fishermen would use for the local catches. They are way different. The biggest thing that I would say is that we've grown up around these rivers and obtained the knowledge of what to use and when to use it. To us it becomes a routine, for those new to the state it's a whole different ball game. Trying to over come what you've been taught and learn new tactics can be somewhat frustrating and very discouraging. The best advice I can give you, is to get out with some people who know what they're doing and mimic it. If that doesn't work, try dynamite :lol:

ill try dynamite first and hook the lure when they surface... lol

J
JSpencer
Yeah Great Lakes area fishing is definitely different. Toss out a red and white daredevil while trolling or even just casting and retrieving and you're guaranteed something. Musky/Pike seem to be most aggressive to those colors. These are fish that will go after your lure again when you do figure 8s right after releasing, highly aggressive fish.

Im just happy to know im not the only great lakes area fisherman having trouble adjusting.

F
fishnquest
windburnt said:
so... im pissed with this river s*i^. originally from wisconsin, so this river stuff is crazy and im gettin to the point where im thinking ^%$# these river fish..... aaaarrrrrggggghhh.. ehehe... why are these trout breeds such a bi*^h????? i member when it was just bobber sinker hook...wtf? anybody that wants to assist or just come with me to make sure im doing it right, would be great.... chime in... thx:)

LOL. Great post. I remember when I first moved, I could not believe I could not catch fish. Your post expresses the feelings well. Its how I found this site and the people here. You've come to the right place. Don't stop trying, you're not the lone ranger. And welcome to the club.

T
TTFishon
I can get you into some trout. I know a place that's open year around. It's catch and release, fly and lure only, and full of hungry cutthroats with an occasion rainbow. The fish are all native and really aggressive this time of year. Average fish is 12 to 13 inches. All I ask is that you don't go telling a bunch of people about this place. It's one of the few places close to town I can go to where there are trout and no people. It's also close to Eugene. Send me a PM and I will let you know what to use and where to go.

T
Thuggin4Life
TTFishon said:
I can get you into some trout. I know a place that's open year around. It's catch and release, fly and lure only, and full of hungry cutthroats with an occasion rainbow. The fish are all native and really aggressive this time of year. Average fish is 12 to 13 inches. All I ask is that you don't go telling a bunch of people about this place. It's one of the few places close to town I can go to where there are trout and no people. It's also close to Eugene. Send me a PM and I will let you know what to use and where to go.

Pretty sure that i know the spot and it is a very good one indeed. Lots of fun to be had and rarely every seen other people fishing.

T
TTFishon
People either don't realize it's there or they don't like the fact that it's catch and release only.