Dirft boat on the Alsea

T
takeoffeh84
Making a trip out to the Alsea on a drift boat for the first time later this week and looking for some tips on the best places to put in and take out. Intermediate rower and looking for a good float to pull some plugs and do a little drift fishing.

Thanks in advance

C
Combat Chuck
The upper drift is good and not to hairy... mill creek to campbell. Im not an expert on the area, so others can feel free to add to my post :D

S
steelhead1
Yes.this is a great drift,plenty of good water and not too trickyIMO:D

T
takeoffeh84
Thanks for the info. How long of a drift is that?

S
steelhead1
From launch to launch,a little over three miles by road.I have paddled this entire drift in about an hour,oaring nonstop.(river blew out).I recommend starting early,it is a popular float and there are lots of sweet holes you will want to stop and fish.

J
JeannaJigs
I'd definitely rec. mill creek to campbell as well. I've had a drift boat a month, and have done that run twice. Super easy drift with lots of good holes and some good stretches for plugs as well and while I haven't got a fish out of there yet myself (almost, but lost it at the net), each trip has produced for someone in the boat. It's a popular stretch though, so like has been said...get out there early.

T
takeoffeh84
What level would you say the river is best at that high up 4-6ft?

M
Mad dog
takeoffeh84 said:
What level would you say the river is best at that high up 4-6ft?

I shoot for 5-7ft and dropping, 4-6 is good.

G
GDBrown
Shuttle Service?

Shuttle Service?

Does anyone run a shuttle service for that stretch of the river? I don't have a regular partner for my two person drift boat so I'm alone most of the time. It's also a long way to take two vehicles from Hillsboro.

J
JeannaJigs
Problem I have ran into out there is there is no phone service with my phone. Fortunately, I've always gone with someone else who has a vehicle. I hear ya on the distance, 150 miles round trip from Eugene...gets spendy. However, having walked just shy of 6 miles one day not too long ago on a one vehicle day with multiple drifts...I've learned my lesson. Walking back wastes time that can be spent with your line in the water, and walking back after dark...sketch. I think if I was going to go it solo I'd throw a bike in the back and leave it at the take out.

P
plumb2fish
GDBrown said:
Does anyone run a shuttle service for that stretch of the river? I don't have a regular partner for my two person drift boat so I'm alone most of the time. It's also a long way to take two vehicles from Hillsboro.

The general store in Alsea runs shuttles but they realize that gas from Metropolis is expensive so there fees are pretty steep.

P
plumb2fish
We caught fish @ over 8' on that run side drifting roe.

G
GDBrown
Cheap Shuttles ! ? !

Cheap Shuttles ! ? !

plumb2fish said:
The general store in Alsea runs shuttles but they realize that gas from Metropolis is expensive so there fees are pretty steep.

It's 120 miles from Hillsboro to Campbell so about 5 gallons of gas or $15-20 for an extra car ONE WAY.:shock: You know 35 bucks for a shuttle don't sound too bad if I look at it that way. Maybe I'll have to pick up a little scooter to put in the back of the truck and shuttle myself!:think:

Thanks for the info fellow anglers.

GD

J
JodysaHoser
takeoffeh84 said:
Hey all,

Making a trip out to the Alsea on a drift boat for the first time later this week and looking for some tips on the best places to put in and take out. Intermediate rower and looking for a good float to pull some plugs and do a little drift fishing.

Thanks in advance

What would you consider intermediate? And pulling plugs blows out my old man shoulder.

M
Mike123
JodysaHoser said:
What would you consider intermediate? And pulling plugs blows out my old man shoulder.

The upper Alsea drifts are cake. If you can row a drift boat, you can make it.

Pulling plugs is the easiest thing there should be on your shoulder? :think:
Unless your not using rod holders? :think:

J
JodysaHoser
Mike123 said:
The upper Alsea drifts are cake. If you can row a drift boat, you can make it.

Pulling plugs is the easiest thing there should be on your shoulder? :think:
Unless your not using rod holders? :think:

Is there a stretch that is not cake?

M
Mike123
JodysaHoser said:
Is there a stretch that is not cake?

Yea the lower drifts aren't really "cake".. but they aren't that bad. Ermie Walters down there is some "fun" water there. And I can think of some stuff around boundary bridge that is also "fun". If your worried stick to the upper drifts. So easy a caveman could do it.

J
JeannaJigs
I'm a complete idiot on the sticks (have had a boat just a little over a month) and I can navigate the upper drift easily and haven't drowned yet. So if I can do it....it's easier than cake.

Super easy river to fish, tons of good water on that mill creek to campbell stretch. If it wasn't gonna rain the next two days, I'd probably head up there tomorrow or Friday myself since I have the days off, but, I'm not down for the rain...and I am by no means a fair weather angler either...just circumstances involving a broken ankle keep me on dry ground.

C
Combat Chuck
I know I launched a toon at those ramps last year but how are they looking for a drift boat launch with a little 2wd truck? I swear a 4x4 is in the works for me... but its just not here yet. ;)

J
JeannaJigs
I drive the crappiest vehicle ever to tow a driftboat (light "suv" without 4 wheel drive) and I haven't had issues at mill creek or campbell, even when there was ice (I do have studded winter tires though). So you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever. They're solid concrete, really nice ramps.