Dipsy Diver for bank fishing?

O
Outdoor_Myers
I been doing a lot of research this winter to get ready for the spring run on the willamette river. My question is can one use a dipsy diver if they can get as close to parallel with the current as possible while bank fishing? Letting the current do the "trolling" for you? If so how does one rig up one of these dipsy divers? do you still need some lead or will the diver get your bait down to where you need it without any lead?

B
Bad Tuna
I think youd want a jet diver, not a dipsy diver. Youd probably do just as well plunking.

O
Outdoor_Myers
well my spot its hard to stay on bottom with 6 oz of lead so this spring i will try 8 but i can't find a rod that can handle more than 10oz

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Outdoor_Myers said:
well my spot its hard to stay on bottom with 6 oz of lead so this spring i will try 8 but i can't find a rod that can handle more than 10oz

Might have to bump up to a surf style rod for that much weight, if you're not already fishing such a rod. If the current is ripping like that - I'm guessing you're fishing the big C?

R
RunWithSasquatch
I have had good luck running bait divers and plugs flatlined from the bank, well more wading out on top of the slot I was eyeballing and backing it down into the meat. This was fall time, and the water level was modest.... I would say that if there is water you need 10oz of wait to hold your gear down, that it probably isn't something you want to be trying to stick your rod and toes out over, and risk being swept away...

B
beaverfan
I'm guessing your talking about the Willamette above the falls? If you can get parallel with the current have you thought about running plugs through there, like kwikfish, hot shots, wiggle warts, etc.

O
OnTheFly
Why don't you use the six dollar drift boat? Called a side planer.

R
RunWithSasquatch
The new SideWinder ones work pretty good, and are much more streamlined than the 'older' more common style, they have there restrictions with how much pull they can handle, and line from rod tip, etc... but I think OnTheFly has a good recomendation

R
RunWithSasquatch
Oh, and its like a $15 drift boat