Dime bright 13" hatchery steelhead

OREGON FISHING FORUM

Hooked Up

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture. Fished THE top secret north coast river. Hooked a fish and handed the rod of to my daughter, saw lots of silver moving the water. Got it to the boat and it's a clipped 13" long steelhead. I've never seen such a small fish be so blindingly bright. Is that normal? Inquiring minds want to know.....

hobster

Hey Hans, pretty sure that would be a clipped trout. A fish has to be 20” to be considered a steelhead in OR. Blueback? They get pretty darn bright

OnTheDrop

One of my customers got a 16” hatchery Steelhead on Thursday as well.... Probably went out, and turned back in within the year.... Seems I’ll get a few every season.

Hooked Up

You're right Eric it's still considered a trout. I've just never seen one so small and sooo bright.

C _Run if I was at Hagg it might have stayed in the boat.:D

Hooked Up

One of my customers got a 16” hatchery Steelhead on Thursday as well.... Probably went out, and turned back in within the year.... Seems I’ll get a few every season.
That's what I was thinking Tanner. Went out and came back. Is a one year about 13"?

hobster

Second thought it wouldn’t be a blueback they are not clipped. Maybe they just got big in the river and never went out to the ocean? Then again it wouldn’t be so bright. Perhaps a one year jack?

Bob Smith

It also could have been a 3 year old juvenile going through the smolt process as it prepares to head to the ocean. That's much older than most (usually 1 or 2 year olds) but not unheard of. Did you happen to notice faint parr marks along the side?

my2labs

Most Featured
Congrats getting your daughter on a fish Hans! You put in the time and while the fish wasn’t a lunker, it’s pretty cool she got to bring one in! Good job Daddin.

Hopefully you can hand one OFF to Mark soon too ???

ZIIIIING!

Hooked Up

It also could have been a 3 year old juvenile going through the smolt process as it prepares to head to the ocean. That's much older than most (usually 1 or 2 year olds) but not unheard of. Did you happen to notice faint parr marks along the side?
Bob I didn't notice any markings on the side.

Hooked Up

Congrats getting your daughter on a fish Hans! You put in the time and while the fish wasn’t a lunker, it’s pretty cool she got to bring one in! Good job Daddin.

Hopefully you can hand one OFF to Mark soon too ???

ZIIIIING!
Thanks Devan, nothing better than seeing your kid landing a fish!

Almost as good as your zinger! I think that's going to leave a Mark!?

OnTheDrop

I have no idea, actually. I’m better off catching ‘em. I think I need to sign up for my masters in Steelhead.

pinstriper

Hopefully you can hand one OFF to Mark soon too

ZIIIIING!
With as few fish as you boys manage to hook, I won’t be holding my breath waiting for a handoff.

my2labs

Most Featured
With as few fish as you boys manage to hook, I won’t be holding my breath waiting for a handoff.
I wont speak for Hans, and I wish I could argue with you but... I’m almost getting to the point of asking anyone for a rod hand off!!! It’s been awhile for me, no question. Partly sad, partly hilarious my winter steelheading results have been these last 2 seasons. ?

It has been nice making new friends on the water, and floating new rivers... someday I’ll grow up and hook another steelie. And when that happens, I will not be handing it to anyone!

Hooked Up

I wont speak for Hans, and I wish I could argue with you but... I’m almost getting to the point of asking anyone for a rod hand off!!! It’s been awhile for me, no question. Partly sad, partly hilarious my winter steelheading results have been these last 2 seasons. ?

It has been nice making new friends on the water, and floating new rivers... someday I’ll grow up and hook another steelie. And when that happens, I will not be handing it to anyone!
I'm with you Devan. I've gotten other people on some fish but nothing for me. Went today and the only fish caught was right in front of us.?

Top Bottom