Dick's Sporting Goods--A little disappointing.

F

FishSchooler

I went to the new Dick's here. It just looks like they tried too hard. From the outside, it looked like it was a grand store with such a large sign way up there. But then once I walked inside, it was crowded with as many racks and shelves filled with products as possible.

Positive things--Much larger shoe and golf selections compared to Joe's. Larger hiking/kayaking section than Joe's, as well as bikes. Prices are a little better as well.

Negatives--The hunting/fishing sections were unorganized and a little small. I didn't even find any fly rods. The fishing equipment was bunched up all together in the middle of nowhere. It was kind of ugly as well... I didn't look at the lure selection or the reels, but I did see some reels cut from $120 to 59.99 ;) Shimano E(something).

I haven't explored the whole store yet... maybe there is something to be discovered :)

F

Fishtopher

Is there more than one new dicks? And where are the new ones? And is the old one at Washington Square still open?

B

beaverfan

Ya the one at Washington Square is still open. They just opened six new stores, in Joe's old buildings. They are the following: Gresham, Tualatin, Hillsboro, Salem, Eugene and Bend.

S

SNDSLGR

FS, if you are in LO why not just hit the one at washington square? They have a nice spread there.

Its nice having somewhere with bait nearby again but the fishing dept also feels cramped in the Hillsboro store. They have too many teenagers asking if you need help also.

On a good note, spoke with the fishing dept. manager and he said not to be shy about things we need but dont see. They seem dedicated to stocking what the locals want, just no clue what that is.

At the Washington square store, there is a early 30's guy named Jason in the fish dept that used to work at hillsboro joes... this guy is a wealth of knowledge and an incredible fisherman, if you have questions he is your man.

T

The Nothing

On a good note, spoke with the fishing dept. manager and he said not to be shy about things we need but dont see. They seem dedicated to stocking what the locals want, just no clue what that is.

Because they're an East Coast company. They don't know what a Kwikfish is on the EC. When the WaSquare Dicks first opened, they didn't have any.

I'm still not all that impressed with the place. Their reel selection is crap. Their line selection isn't bad. I'm not impressed with their hooks selection either. What store doesn't have a pre-tied sturgeon rig?? I don't even recall seeing large, 5/0+ barbless hooks.

There IS one thing I do like though. The first is their support for creating a sustainable fishery, and stewardship on the water. They're partners with Recycled Fish (RecycledFish) which I think is a very good organization.

D

DirectDrive

Having Dick's here will at least provide some competition for our other sporting goods stores. Hopefully that will equate to sales and lower prices.
-
I would give 'em a chance to settle in here in the PNW and maybe their buyers will get a handle on the products that we need.
-
To the buyers:
Start with the consumables that we fisherman need on a daily basis and then go for those durable goods that are proven winners here in the Northwest.
We'll be keeping you advised ;)

B

bigsteel

down here in salem we just had the grand opening for dicks,,,i thought it was nice,,,great rod and reel section as well as tackle...plus 20% off..the only negative was the tons of people,

F

fishhunter

Tons of people in the Eugene Dicks.:confused: They were offering 10.00 off of a 50.00 or more purchase. NO PONTOONS:naughty:?????? Kayaks and quite a few.:think: kayak to small for this guy....

S

SNDSLGR

Because they're an East Coast company. They don't know what a Kwikfish is on the EC. When the WaSquare Dicks first opened, they didn't have any.

I'm still not all that impressed with the place. Their reel selection is crap. Their line selection isn't bad. I'm not impressed with their hooks selection either. What store doesn't have a pre-tied sturgeon rig?? I don't even recall seeing large, 5/0+ barbless hooks.

There IS one thing I do like though. The first is their support for creating a sustainable fishery, and stewardship on the water. They're partners with Recycled Fish (RecycledFish) which I think is a very good organization.

Both WS and Hills store have sturgeon rigs.. pre tied as well as the stuff to make your own. However at both stores the sturgeon stuff is seperated from the other hook and leaders.

A

autofisher

The Salem store is pretty decent. From the information I heard one of the sales staff giving to another fisherman, they are lacking in the information department. When I walked up, I over heard the salesman giving the complete WRONG information. After he left, I spoke to the gentleman and asked what he was fishing for and where. He said he was new to the state and salmon fishing. We talked for a few and I showed him some different rigs that I thought would work for his situation. He ended up spending about $600 on rod, reel, line, and tackle. I also told him about OFF and he said he'd be checking it out. Best part about it. The salesman was standing around the cash register when the guy checked out. He asked him if he got everything all squared away, and the guy's response was priceless. " I found everything once I talked to someone who apparantly knows more than you. And he doesn't even work here" I left feeling pretty good about myself after that. Hope he gets into fish and doesn't hate me if he doesn't. :lol:

F

FishSchooler

The Salem store is pretty decent. From the information I heard one of the sales staff giving to another fisherman, they are lacking in the information department. When I walked up, I over heard the salesman giving the complete WRONG information. After he left, I spoke to the gentleman and asked what he was fishing for and where. He said he was new to the state and salmon fishing. We talked for a few and I showed him some different rigs that I thought would work for his situation. He ended up spending about $600 on rod, reel, line, and tackle. I also told him about OFF and he said he'd be checking it out. Best part about it. The salesman was standing around the cash register when the guy checked out. He asked him if he got everything all squared away, and the guy's response was priceless. " I found everything once I talked to someone who apparantly knows more than you. And he doesn't even work here" I left feeling pretty good about myself after that. Hope he gets into fish and doesn't hate me if he doesn't. :lol:

The Salem store is the "main" Dick's store in Oregon.

SNDSLGR--The LO one is closer.

Someone tell them to buy cured eggs of Osmosis? :lol:

The Joe's had a bigger selection of hunting and fishing gear too. The hunting stuff went all along the back wall, and the fishing stuff went from where the hunting stuff started, all the way to the wall. Dicks has a block for fishing, and a block for hunting. Their worm prices are much lower though. ;)

Top Bottom