Diamond Lake

diggindan

Wife and I will be camping at Diamond Lake late June to take part in some of the antics involved with the Gambler 500 in Chemult. Bringing the kayaks and fishing gear in case the event is too much for us old folks! Any advice for Yak fishing?

troutdude

Troll with Ford Fenders and a worm 4' behind the flashers; or a Berkley Mice Tail with the same rig. The way that you propel your Yak will those flashers a killer wobble!

Duckcross

I fished there this last weekend at it was the worst I have ever seen we tried everything I know works and caught 3 fish all weekend. I do believe since it was right after ice off the water temp was just to cold to get the fish active. The highest water temps we saw all weekend were 46° that is still pretty chilly. At least I hope this is the reason and I have not lost my touch.

troutdude

Good idea, but might be over estimating our endurance!
Oh yeah...you did say "old folks". ;-)

Terrible fishing after ice out? That's nuts. Although 'bows do tend to prefer 50-60 degrees. Maybe it was a bit early. Plus it was too cold to spur any hatches. So that could be the reason why. Maybe that's what they're waiting for?

diggindan

Maybe we'll try trolling with wedding rings and a worm? They don't require as much paddle power! Otherwise we'll do the basic drift and cast routine. Never been to Diamond so it will be an adventure!