Diamond Lake

diggindan

Wife and I will be camping at Diamond Lake late June to take part in some of the antics involved with the Gambler 500 in Chemult. Bringing the kayaks and fishing gear in case the event is too much for us old folks! Any advice for Yak fishing?

troutdude

Troll with Ford Fenders and a worm 4' behind the flashers; or a Berkley Mice Tail with the same rig. The way that you propel your Yak will those flashers a killer wobble!

Duckcross

I fished there this last weekend at it was the worst I have ever seen we tried everything I know works and caught 3 fish all weekend. I do believe since it was right after ice off the water temp was just to cold to get the fish active. The highest water temps we saw all weekend were 46° that is still pretty chilly. At least I hope this is the reason and I have not lost my touch.

troutdude

Good idea, but might be over estimating our endurance!
Oh yeah...you did say "old folks". ;-)

Terrible fishing after ice out? That's nuts. Although 'bows do tend to prefer 50-60 degrees. Maybe it was a bit early. Plus it was too cold to spur any hatches. So that could be the reason why. Maybe that's what they're waiting for?

diggindan

Maybe we'll try trolling with wedding rings and a worm? They don't require as much paddle power! Otherwise we'll do the basic drift and cast routine. Never been to Diamond so it will be an adventure!

Right after ice off the fish bite really lite and if there was a bug hatch it is really really tough as the fish are full of bugs. I am a bait fisher and have fished Diamond since about 56 or so back when they used velveeta cheese etc. When the fish are not biting very good I will often try several different places and I use a treble hook. If you have a depth/fish finder try to fish just above where they are hanging. Trout like salmon hunt from below and have a difficult time looking down however they can look up easily so fish above them if you can. If trolling try trolling across/above the top of the weeds. When bottom fishing I have seen as little as a few inches throw off the bite. When trolling or bottom fishing if your bite drops to nothing try using some sent on your line as it will help remove or remove the scent fish put on your line when you are bringing them in or have them in your net or on your boat. Also use something the kill that scent on your hands. Fish will give off a scent when they are hooked and trying to get away and that scent can get on your line, hands, lures etc. You will need to get ride of it as it warns other fish away. I use a good bit of scent killer even before the very first time I toss out my bait. If all fails....then do a fish dance, believe it or not I have seen it work. :eek::):):):eek::eek:

Oh no, I use power bait or any fishing scent that you buy in the store. I try to stay with the type of fish I am after. This is what I do when I use power bait before I ever bait up. I take a bit about 3/8ths of an inch or so and roll it around in my hands getting some on my fingers as well, then I toss that piece into a trash can. Then I bait my hook and go catching. If I need to clean the scent off my leader I get a ball of powerbait and rub it on my leader. If you happen to have some crawdad scent er something like that, well it all works. I suppose if you had a can of kitty food or cheese or a worm it would all work. The only thing I use lemon Joy for in the boat is if I happen to have to mess with the engine or gas or oil. Fishun things is fer catchen, not fer cleaning the dishes with.

Aervax

@Diamond Lake Charlie
I am with you on that. Lemon Joy. Overrated. I don't buy it. In my opinion, just another marketing campaign perpetuated by the manufacturer and the human bots they pay to insert their garbage messages into our lives. For some reason the PNW fishing community bought into it and preaches it as if scientifically proven and sound.

Washing hands in general is good. Non-perfumed soap is preferable (also avoiding chemically synthesized lemon scent), but not a necessity. I also use fish food scents to cover up any odors unnatural to the fish's environment, like lemon scented joy. Crawdad scent goes on hands, tackle and line. Like you, I do it all again after catching and handling a fish. I think it makes a difference. Just one more edge to getting ahead of and staying a step ahead of the fish.

4labs

Sorry this is getting off subject but the scent thing I understand and have my own methods.
But what always made me laugh at myself was fishing the Rogue bay. I was spotless with my bait, latex gloves, scent and never let my bait touch anything.
Then a boat ahead of me with 4 guys eating chips, smoking, and handing there bait to each other with no gloves on would out fish me .
And all they would do is spray WD-40 on everything.

diggindan

Thanks for all the chatter. ;) Any recent reports? Just to refresh, we will be kayak fishing and it's our first time to Diamond.
Cheers!