Diamond Lake report 15th/16th

T
the_intimidator03
Well TTFishon and I headed up to diamond lake and split the cost on a boat rental. We ended up leaving mid morning on friday and got there around 1:30, Set up camp at thielson camp ground and proceeded to fish from the bank up there for a few hours. I kept 3 with the biggest being 17 inches and the smallest around 15. TT also got a few there with similar sizes.

We headed off to eat at the restaurant about 7 then headed back to unload the truck and go find firewood. Got a fire going started drinking... told myself i wouldnt drink the ENTIRE bottle of jack daniels 375ml... I lied Ended up sleeping next to the picnic table on the ground instead of in the truck. I was a little cold when i got up in the morning.

Once we got the boat in the morning we hit the west shore starting above the campground and trolled towards the south end and it didn't take long to start hitting fish. Mainly used 1 lure and color pattern the entire time. Thomas boyant spoons in brass with red. We did really well in the southwest corner of the lake. Did get a couple on the fly rod as well. we did run into a lot of dinks around the 10 inch range but we also ran into a lot of 14-16 inches and released a few. I got the biggest fish at 18 inches but as TT can tell ya... the battle doesn't end when its on the stringer :lol: Somehow it fought around on the stringer after being on it for a good while and busted off :( I do have pictures and I will upload them soon just not tonight.. This was TT's first time visit to diamond lake and I think he had a blast. I am sure he will chime in tomorrow

100_0839.jpg100_0843.jpg100_0856.jpg100_0855.jpg100_0858.jpg

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Sounds like you guys had a great time.....can't wait to see pics...Jack will do that to you every time...at least you were still in your own camp and not the neighbors...:D

H
Hawk
lilsalmon said:
Sounds like you guys had a great time.....can't wait to see pics...Jack will do that to you every time...at least you were still in your own camp and not the neighbors...:D

Did someones mention my names :lol::lol::lol:

Bro's sounds like y'all had a Wonderful Adventure,
Great Job.
:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool::cool:

Take Care.............Grizz Jack ..;)

T
TTFishon
It was a great trip!!! I didn't take too many pics because I was busy catching fish and the fish that I released I wanted to get them back in the water as soon as possible. I think we got one pic of a released fish. I couldn't tell you how many fish I caught. At one point, while trolling, it seemed like we were catching fish every 10 to 15 minutes probably for a couple of hours or so. We marked fish throughout the lake and the average depth we fished was about 5ft at a temp of 55 degrees. There were a few times we dropped the anchor and threw our spoons catching fish every 5 or 6 casts. We had a couple of slow hours too when we tried a different part of the lake until we went back to the popular corner. (I counted 64 boats on the lake, including us, and most of 'em were in this corner) Then it was back to fish catching action. I'm pretty sure my biggest fish were released. There's not too many lakes where you can feel confident of releasing a 17 or 18 incher knowing you're going to get another one before you get your limit and Diamond Lake is one of these lakes. Anyway here's some fish pics to visually share my catch.
1287340162.jpg
1287340145.jpg
And for all you mushroom lovers. There were a ton of king boletes throughout the crappy campground. 1287340142.jpg And I say crappy because I don't like pay camping. Oh and since I'm on the subject of camping I drank 10 beers in a couple of hours and managed to make it to my tent on a couple of nice, soft, and thick foam pads.:lol:

F
Finneus Polebender
Heck of a stringer there dude you werent kidding the fishin looks to be spectacular !

O
OnTheFly
A great Indian name for you Ted: Ten Beers. Like Ten Bears from the movie Dancing with Wolves. lol

Is Diamond Lake navigable in a pontoon boat or are most of the spots better traveled to by motor?

Last edited:
F
fishindude
Nice fish !! Thanks for the report , I'm heading up there on Tues.:dance::dance:

T
the_intimidator03
OTF If you go to south shore ramp and launch from there its not as far to get into productive area's with a pontoon or float tube as we did see both of those out there. We usually fished within 100-150 yards of shore, Afternoon the wind usually picks up there but it stayed relatively calm for the trip.

O
OnTheFly
the_intimidator03 said:
OTF If you go to south shore ramp and launch from there its not as far to get into productive area's with a pontoon or float tube as we did see both of those out there. We usually fished within 100-150 yards of shore, Afternoon the wind usually picks up there but it stayed relatively calm for the trip.

Cool! Thanks! I'll look that up. A buddy of mine used to fish there anually and always came back with huge trout. He stopped going because of the lake poisoning but it looks like the fish now have come back and are thriving.

T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
Heck of a stringer there dude you werent kidding the fishin looks to be spectacular !

I'd love to get up there and fish it again before the season ends. If I do it's gonna be toonin' show.:D

T
TTFishon
OnTheFly said:
A great Indian name for you Ted: Ten Beers. Like Ten Bears from the movie Dancing with Wolves. lol

Is Diamond Lake navigable in a pontoon boat or are most of the spots better traveled to by motor?

:lol::lol::lol: I've been called worse things.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice report guys!!! iv got to get up there before it closes at the end of the month. sounds like u guys did good without using the bait of choice there.

T
TTFishon
fishindude said:
Nice fish !! Thanks for the report , I'm heading up there on Tues.:dance::dance:

Good luck!!! The fish from the bank were caught with green and yellow rainbow pwr bait and the rest were caught from Thomas Bouyant spoons. The intimidator used 16th oz brass and red hammered Thomas and I used a 16th oz copper with a red stripe and black, red, and yellow spots.

T
TTFishon
Throbbit _Shane said:
Nice report guys!!! iv got to get up there before it closes at the end of the month. sounds like u guys did good without using the bait of choice there.

What's the bait of choice there? If it's green pwr bait then I have a funny story for you.

T
Throbbit _Shane
It is Power bait but im not sure about the color. If there was a bunch of boats anchored in one area, it was most likely the cheese hole. Im gonna have to get some more Thomas bouyant lures. i actually lost one last week on a fish.

B
bigsteel
nice fish tt,,looks like a great time,,im gonna have to try this lake as well

T
TTFishon
bigsteel said:
nice fish tt,,looks like a great time,,im gonna have to try this lake as well

Oh man, you'd love it. I'm sure a fat rainbow on a flyrod would be awesome!

F
Finneus Polebender
TTFishon said:
I'd love to get up there and fish it again before the season ends. If I do it's gonna be toonin' show.:D

Count me in after seein that stringer just plan it for a weekend and let me know will give my wife a choice come or dont complain cause looks like somethin that needs to be done before too long!Got neoprene will travel!

T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
Count me in after seein that stringer just plan it for a weekend and let me know will give my wife a choice come or dont complain cause looks like somethin that needs to be done before too long!Got neoprene will travel!

Well it's either next weekend or the weekend after next and then it's closed. It's suppose to start raining I think by Thursday and I'm not sure about the weekend after that.

F
Finneus Polebender
Dang that really puts some pressure on will have ta see, know halloween weekend is out which only leaves this next one huh? can it be done as a day trip? Seems to me I remember its a bit of a drive from our neck of the woods! Oh well may have to chase local salmon if we can't work it out!