Diamond Lake contaminated with blue-green algae, state says

troutdude
troutdude
ZOIKES!!!

Thank you for posting...may help lots of peeps from getting sick.

L
Left Bank
Yea, I'd heard that from unconfirmed sources. That's too bad. I hope it clears up soon.

B
Big Hairy Dawg
Yep it's true..I was going to fish today but heard a rumor and called the lodge and they confirmed it. They said they hope people will come anyway. What the &$%* is that suppose to mean...I guess thats the business side coming out of them.
Does anyone know if you boat in a contaminated lake, can you transport the algae, to a differnt lake and contaminate it as well?
And How long does this last?
:(

J
JeannaJigs
Big Hairy Dawg said:
Yep it's true..I was going to fish today but heard a rumor and called the lodge and they confirmed it. They said they hope people will come anyway. What the &$%* is that suppose to mean...I guess thats the business side coming out of them.
Does anyone know if you boat in a contaminated lake, can you transport the algae, to a differnt lake and contaminate it as well?
And How long does this last?
:(
blooms usually last three to four weeks. I'm not sure it can transfer from a boat or not but regardless of where you are fishing your boat should be thoroughly cleaned everytime before you launch on a different body of water. (see invasive species and why we have to pay extra money now because people weren't doing this)

the thing with the algae is if you skin the fish and remove the fat deposits, you're fine. Just keep kids and pets out and away from the water and don't drink it.

troutdude
troutdude
Risk Free approach to Diamond Lake algae

Risk Free approach to Diamond Lake algae

JeannaJigs said:
blooms usually last three to four weeks. I'm not sure it can transfer from a boat or not but regardless of where you are fishing your boat should be thoroughly cleaned everytime before you launch on a different body of water. (see invasive species and why we have to pay extra money now because people weren't doing this)

the thing with the algae is if you skin the fish and remove the fat deposits, you're fine. Just keep kids and pets out and away from the water and don't drink it.

According to a new article that I read...even inhaling the fumes from the water is considered a big risk to your health.

Personally, I would choose to fish somewhere else and not take any chances at all...including transferring the toxic stuff into another lake.

Just my .02...but, my perspective is all completely risk free.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Quote Originally Posted by Browning View Post
I just found out through BBB that Selmac has an algae bloom now too. A quick online search came up with nothing, but a call to the resort confirmed it He said it wasn't bad enough to close the lake (yet) & that people were still swimming. Oh well, my campsite for tomorrow is already paid for. Screw it, I'm going fishing.....

REPLY FROM TROUTDUDE (and copied here)...

I saw a TV news report tonight. Toxic Algae is not only found now at Diamond and Selmac, but 3 other lakes too (and NOT all in the south of the state).

BEWARE, that stuff is NASTY. You don't even want to inhale the air particulates released from the algae i the water!