Diamond fun

F
FlyFish
Just moved to OR from Maine. Before sendin' my Dad on a flight back east (Dad helped with the drive and boat haul cross country) we decided to do a little fishin'. Specifically, we decided to go to Diamond to see what all the fuss was about this lake.

Sooo - I have to admit it is a nice fishery even with the toxic, flesh eating blue-green algae. The views are amazing, lake is easy to navigate, lots of boat ramps and the fish were most cooperative. Saw a mass of boats anchored up (probably around a hole) at the North side of the lake - but we decided to drag worms.

Now - for some perspective, aside from Togue, in Maine you're talking mostly 8" to 14" trout.. 17" is a water cooler conversation where everyone ooohs and ahhhhs and 20" or more is a result of selling your soul to the devil or sneaking across state lines to Canada.

Most of the 30 - 40 fish we landed over Sat and Sun were of the 12 to 14 inch variety. A half dozen or so were 16 - 18" fish and several were 20"+. I gotta admit... that is some darn tootin' good fishin'. ...and these were fat / phat bulky fish. While we did not keep any for the grill - we did keep a bunch in the camera.

Uploading a few of the bigger fish and Dad. Think I'll try my luck at Klamath next weekend?

B
bigsteel
WOW,,,that is one fine fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!good job

Admin
Admin
Nice!

F
FlyFish
Those are actually 3 separate fish... OR - 1 fish caught 3 separate times... Not sure which without my can of spray paint (just kidding).

M
Moe
Those are real nice, great job!

B
BobbiDollPDX
Welcome from another Maine transplant. Those are impressive fish. Nice way to introduce yourself to fishing in Oregon. It's great your dad got to rip some lips while he was here too.

C
Cohosanders
Those are really beautiful. Nice job and welcome to the Maine of The West Coast(well kind of any) Gotta love the "Original Portland"state. Been there before and had a great time. Anyway nice looking day,fish, water etc. etc.

L
Left Bank
Glad you both had a great time and welcome to Oregon. I'm suprised that you did so well though. I'd heard that the bite was almost non-existant due to the alge.

N
nwkiller
welcome to oregon, way to slam the door as you enter!!!!!!! awesome fish, can't wait to get back up there

R
rippin fish lips
nice fish! i ahve been to maine before and its really nice there!! The lobster is sooo good!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Welcome to oregon!! all those guys anchored up were most likely using powerbait. Although i was there in may and i seen the fly fishermen doing quite well. Those are some beautiful trouts!!!! :D

Klamath Lake also has some huge rainbow. If your over there id also try the Williamson River :D

B
bigfootfish
Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome to Oregon! Nice fish! Klamath has LARGE rainbows, though I've heard they get mushy in high summer. Anyone confirm that?
FlyFish, plan on a Wickiup Reservoir trip. Big brown trout. Wick also has Hybrid Bass that get BIG. Don't forget to check out that Deschutes, and look up the Williamson as ThrobbitShane suggests. Ain't we got fun!

BFF

T
Thuggin4Life
Some nice fish! Glad you are enjoying the state.

C
Caveman
FlyFish said:
Think I'll try my luck at Klamath next weekend?

Welcome to Oregon. If you try Klamath next week, just know you are moving from one extreme to the other as far as fishing goes... Diamond Lake = Easy fishing. Klamath Lake = Long tedious hours spent in search of monster trout, sometimes over 20 LBS. Most of Klamath Lake is barren this time of year and you will need to seek out the springs and/or river and creek mouths in order to find the fish. Again, Welcome to Oregon and good luck with all your fishing adventures!

K
Kais
Nice job. I was bankin it on saturday, but got nothing.

F
FlyFish
Thanks for all the feedback and welcomes. I am going to have to investigate the Wickiup and the Williamson. I am also really interested in heading out of Brookings for whatever species is around. I think that is one of the closest and small boat friendliest ports to Medford? ...the wind and wave reports however are plain scary.

M
marriemb
that is really the catch of the day