Diamond 5/24 - 5/25

L

Left Bank

The bad news: Light snow on Monday and it only got to 33 degrees. Tuesday it managed to get to 51 but it rained like the dickens with a terrible wind both days. The water was very choppy most of the time which makes it extremely tough to troll with the rented boats. The boats and newer 4-stroke are nice but in the wind it's quite a task.

The Good News: The motel rooms at the lodge are simple but clean and run only $59 mid-week right now. The food at the lodge is not too spendy and really delicious especially after long days of fishing. I give great cudos to the staff at the store, front desk and even the motel maids. They are all very friendly and willing to say hi and talk.
We began on Monday anchored with bait on the bottom but it lacked the hustle that my old man was looking for (mostly to keep warm). So we opted for qantity over quality by tolling. The go-to for us was wedding ring with either a worm or poweregg. WOW was it effective!!! Monday we must have pulled 25 rainbows between the two of us up to the boat. Tuesday we lost count but I'd guess he caught 25 and I landed 15 (I was tied up a lot trying to steer the darn boat too much). The smallest we landed was probably 11 inches and very broad. In fact all the fish were very wide and judging by the fish we decided to start keeping on Tuesday afternoon hardly any fat whatsoever. Each and everyone of these bows really put up a good fight. The biggest one that we kept was over 17 inches.
I can't wait for it to get a bit warmer up there so we can do it all over again!!!
Mt. Thielsen from the lake when it wasn't raining or snowing

Fish-On Fred

Fish-On Fred

;)I know a couple that is there now. They have been fishing for a couple of days and will be there through the week. They are using Power Bait with a 4 foot leader and getting big trout this way. Today they landed a 22", 4 lb. trout with 2 more in the 18-19" range. Yesterday was 19 1/2, 19 1/4, and 18 1/2" fish. They are having a blast and they will be up at O'Dell with me in a couple of weeks. They say, "Screw O'Dell and the Kokes, lets go to Diamond instead". Well this year is allready researved for O'Dell. Maybe next year.:whistle:

T

TTFishon

Nice report. Looks like you guys had a great time. One of these days I need to hit that lake up.

S

steelhead_stalkers

My uncle and I were up there on Monday in the snow storm. Its going to be a good year! :D

A

AK Assassin

One of my favorite trout fisheries!! Very nice.

Fish-On Fred

Fish-On Fred

QUOTE=Fish-On Fred;113061];)I know a couple that is there now. They have been fishing for a couple of days and will be there through the week. They are using Power Bait with a 4 foot leader and getting big trout this way. Today they landed a 22", 4 lb. trout with 2 more in the 18-19" range. Yesterday was 19 1/2, 19 1/4, and 18 1/2" fish. They are having a blast and they will be up at O'Dell with me in a couple of weeks. They say, "Screw O'Dell and the Kokes, lets go to Diamond instead". Well this year is allready researved for O'Dell. Maybe next year.:whistle:[/QUOTE]:clap::clap::clap:
Well, my friends got back and brought over some nice fish carcasses for us that were in the freezer when I got home from work. They had limited out for 4 days with another 20+"er in the bag to boot. Amazing stuff Power Bait is. I just thought it was kind messy and really never used it, but now, well I may have to try it now since I seen the results. Diamond Lake has nice meaty red fleshy trout. I think it would help if I had a boat with a top to fight the snow and cold winds that push you around. I do pack heaters in my drift boat but even at that when the wind picks up, they really do not help that much.:rolleyes::doh:

B

BigShayne

Is there any decent spots for shore fishing??? Boat is broke...

L

Left Bank

Hey BigShayne, Yea there were people fishing from the bank on the eastern side of the lake where they can get a little more depth. The shoreline all around the lake is fairly shallow but the east side is a bit better. We were anchored in a couple of places on the southern portion where we must have been 200 yards from the shore but it was only 9-10 feet deep. The guy at the resort shop said that once the water warms the fish head for the deeper waters toward the center of the lake.
I saw one guy on the bank haul in a nice trout that must have been upwards of 19 inches!!!

Top Bottom