Devils Lake bass?

ooth23
ooth23
I know devils lake in Lincoln city is typically a trout fishery however i had someone tell me they hooked a fairly nice sized smallie there. Ive fished there several times but its been a long time since my last visit. Thoughts?

ooth23
ooth23
Sorry my kids distracted me and forgot to elaborate. Fished there a lot as a youngster only ever caught trout and never did try for anything else. That being said trolling with spinners and tails one would think if there were something else it would have been accidentally caught. So has the fishery changed over the last 10 years and bass/crappie been introduced ? I don’t exactly believe the fellow that told me he caught a bass there as im not convinced he actually has ever fished there.

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
I fished there about 25 years ago for bass. We fished from a boat along the edges of the lily pads and caught a few large mouths. Early and late was best due to high boat traffic. I want to say we fished top water and pitched jigs.

P
pinstriper
They used to run bass tournaments there, but the lake has changed over the years. It is still stocked with trout of course if thats your thing.

I saw a BIG bass pulled out of there earlier this summer during a Heroes On The Water event, so there is still bass there to some extent.

ooth23
ooth23
Thanks good to know. I may take my canoe down there this Saturday and see if i can find some bass. Appreciate the feedback

B
Bigfishadventures78
ooth23 said:
Thanks good to know. I may take my canoe down there this Saturday and see if i can find some bass. Appreciate the feedback
Let us know how you do. Interested to see if it is starting to recover from the grass carp ruining one of the better bass lakes around.

ooth23
ooth23
Will do. I am a bit disappointed at the weather report calling for rain at the coast. Grass carp? Those the same kind of carp in the Willamette between newberg and Wheatland ferry that i hate with a fiery passion?

ooth23
ooth23
So im never fishing here again. Good news is there are bass. Large mouth at that. I never saw one over 3 inches however only tiny guys chasing my presentation after every cast. I caught about 12 of them but like I said they were minnow sized. I did however catch a clam which is a first. Caught it on the only thing i could catch the tiny lg mouths on. I threw everything i had in that lake...soft plastic s, crankbaits, jigged, spinners nothin attracted bigger fish. As far as Carp Bigfishadventures u are right i saw 2 healthy sized ones which was surprising cuz the water is murky, choppy, and has a weird green algae mixed in. I watched bank and dock fishermen who all were catching fingerling trout. I targeted lillys, shallow water and deep. Not much structure to fish in that lake there’s docks but water is only 2-3 feet deep 20-50 feet out so i dunno. Obviously there are bigger lg mouth in there since its loaded with yearlings but i didn't like the layout of the lake so wont be goin back

ooth23
ooth23
Pics of that clam that gobbled my spin lure.

Devils Lake bass

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Thanks for the report. That is crazy catching that clam!

P
pinstriper
This happened in June.

Devils Lake bass