Detroit Lake results/update

C
capblack
I went to detroit lake this morning with my father in law. Hiked in from the Hoover gate, and fished below the flats from 8 to about 12. Fished where tumble creek dumps in from 12 to 2, and big cliff from 2 to 4, and caught 1 stinkin whitefish. the weather was great, but the fish werent biting. We tried spinners, powerbait (yuck), power eggs, worm, worm and power eggs for flotation, bobber and worm. The fish are just dead. It looks like the lake is still about 50 ft below full pool, and there was only two boats in the lake, and the only bank fisherman we saw were fishing off the dam. I guess its a little early yet. Theres still snow on the ground, and dont try driving across at the dam to blowout, its unpassable. Guess ill stick to the santiam and try to wack some steelhead. Happy fishing to all.

F
FishFinger
Thanks for the report. I hope last weeks snowfall will be the last one for this year. Sure be nice to get spring underway.

C
capblack
not the last snowfall

not the last snowfall

I think theres probably more snow at detroit. I live above Lyons at 1500 ft and I woke to snow yet again. dont worry, spring is just around the corner.

R
rainbowfisherman
has anyone fished the detroit lake at the resorvoir lately. Where you can rent boats? I might go next weekend will the fishing be any good.

C
capblack
boat rentals

boat rentals

they rent boats at the marina during the summer, but the marina is on dry land right now, so I dont think there renting boats yet. You can still fish there though from the bank. although yesterday when I went by the bank was all white. good luck if you go. let us know how it goes, Brian

R
rainbowfisherman
i saw that it is to be stocked on 4/6 does that mean monday or what?

C
capblack
detroit stocking

detroit stocking

that means its scheduled to be stocked during the week of 4/6 you will have to contact odfw to find out when exactly. But I dont think the stockers are going to be very easy to catch until they get settled in a couple days. good luck, Brian

R
rainbowfisherman
can u get a boat in the lake right now

C
capblack
detroit boat access

detroit boat access

you can almost always get a boat in at Mongold. The lakes coming up a little bit, but its still down. Went to bigg cliff instead today. If I had a boat, I wouldnt be afraid to try Detroit, a little trolling maybe. Brian

R
rainbowfisherman
when can you rent a boat?
I am very new to detroit lake where is Mongold?
I know it got stocked woth 10,000 fish this week do they put those in in the resorvoir

Thanks,
Rainbowfisherman

C
capblack
mongold is the first turnoff after the dam. Its clearly labeled. The stockers are in now, but Im not sure there renting boats yet, youd have to get ahold of the marina. Brian

R
rainbowfisherman
thanks