Lakes Detroit Lake Fishing Reports

jamisonace
jamisonace
How tragic. What a horrible thing to happen.

P
playhooky
@pinstriper So I clicked your link earlier and noted that I’ve been up that particular arm on occasion. Didn’t realize it was referred to as Box Canyon. Thanks. Certainly a tragedy. I’ve seen some pretty iffy dead snags on some of the walls back in there. This will definitely raise my awareness.

P
pinstriper
playhooky said:
@pinstriper So I clicked your link earlier and noted that I’ve been up that particular arm on occasion. Didn’t realize it was referred to as Box Canyon. Thanks. Certainly a tragedy. I’ve seen some pretty iffy dead snags on some of the walls back in there. This will definitely raise my awareness.

You may have to have it zoomed in or out just right for the labels to show up, but the arm is fed by Box Canyon Creek.

P
playhooky
pinstriper said:
You may have to have it zoomed in or out just right for the labels to show up, but the arm is fed by Box Canyon Creek.

Indeed..... I see Box Canyon is the more south westerly arm and the Blowout arm more easterly emptying into Detroit.

K
Koils
Hey everybody I’m gonna be going to Detroit lake this weekend and was wondering where are the good fishing spots on the lake? I’m gonna be in a kayak so any spots that are worth mentioning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
@Koils

I kayak fish there all the time. If you launch from mongold, go straight out to the island in the middle. I like to troll from that point to about the middle of the north-side of the island. Varying from like 20 feet from shore all the way out to a couple hundred feet. If you are using a line counter i had luck at 65' and a 3/8 of weight and a dodger. But it has been warm so they could be deeper. I have not ventured much from that island on my kayak because Detroit is a big lake and that is a lot of paddling. I have gone all the way around the island and don't care much for the othersides.

Tight lines buddy.

troutdude
troutdude
Spent last Saturday morning, with 2 friends, trolling around the Santiam arm (Hoover campground area) of Detroit. It was a late start as we put in about 7:45 am. We were planning to head over and fish the Brietenbush arm too. But motor issues prevented us from venturing too far.

We took out around 12:15, and brought 8 'bows to the net. And we missed at least that many additional strikes. All fish were 12" and under. But even the dinks put up a pretty good fight. In fact I got the first fish and thought it was much larger; until I saw it up close.

Dodgers with trailing worms (or orange power eggs and worm combinations) were the trick. Didn't see, nor hear, of too many other fish caught.

A somewhat slow day; but it was still fun to hang out with my friends and soak up some sunshine on a 70 degree day on the water.

P.S. I forgot to mention that we were primarily fishing the channel in 30 - 50' depths. One rig had the worm trailing the dodger about 10", the others were trailing by 2-3' each.

Took this pic, before we put in at the Hoover ramp.

Detroit in the morning.JPG

Reactions: Admin, Raincatcher and Aervax
troutdude
troutdude
Incidentally the lake is at full pool.

troutdude
troutdude
Here I am with my amigos!

Detroit group shot 2020.jpg

Reactions: Admin
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Sounds like the campgrounds miraculously made it through the fires unscathed….but not sure there will be access to the reservoir until next spring due to unstable trees and melted asphalt, rock slides etc.

Top Bottom