Detroit area help

R
rainbowfisherman
Howdy all,

Been super busy lately and have not been on here in awhile...Jeez do I miss it. The Fam and I are taking a weekend trip to central Oregon. Not a huge fishing weekend but I will be able to fish on my way over. Was thinking somewhere on the N Santiam but also considered maybe the Breitenbush or Hoover arm of Detroit. Then I started thinking of some of those tiny streams up there. Such as The Upper North Fork, Tumble Creek, or French Creek. I have both fly and spinning set ups ready to go but just can't decide where to go. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks,
Rainbowfisherman

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would fish the north santiam above detroit on your way up,just stop and hit pullouts with a dry fly or something

troutdude
troutdude
I did extremely well, in the Brietenbush arm a couple of weeks ago. Just after you cross the bridge--and enter the town of Detroit--turn left past the stores. A short distance up the road is a park ($5 day use fee). I fished just upriver from the boat ramp at that park. Spoons or bait both worked well. Biggest fish was 12.5".

There are also spots below that boat ramp, where fish were caught that day. And there's no fee there.

FYI: access to the Tumble Creek inlet is pretty limited on foot. Unless you don't mind plowing your way through thick overgrowth, to get out to the point, where the fish hold.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've seen 18 inchers pulled from Big Cliff...

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
I've seen 18 inchers pulled from Big Cliff...

Great idea Barb!

R
rainbowfisherman
We fished the N santiam above detroit at a little pull out. Caught a few 10 inters then a hatch started. So I broke out the trusty fly rod, only to lose what looked like a 14 inch trout a few minutes later..Then the rain started and we headed off. All in all a great time on the water!