Desperation- Salmon fever

S
Shadelady
ok i have been doing some reading and thinking- yep i have a headache now. ok so i tried the Salmon river yesterday down at mile marker 9 and caught my limit of bullheads... whoopie, also saw a guy catch a wild coho.

what i am wondering is this... if i absoutely positively need to catcha salmon, where would my odds be the greatest- i am finally accepting the fact that the Salmon river is not the best place (just closest to me).

any and all help is appreciated.

B
beaverfan
I say keep at it. There will be more fish in there shortly. If we get some decent rain in the next week things should pick up pretty quick. Just keep trying, learn the river. Then when the hot fishing comes you'll be ready!

L
luv2fish
how do u fish...i mean drifting..bobber..boat, bank.....well try that river after a day of rain or mebbe 2....when the rain water goes down...i hope that river will be pretty loaded with fish in the third week of september.....use a heavy bobber with sand shrimp and eggs.......its not the right time now....i mean there's fish but simply not that many.....

S
Shadelady
i tend to fish either with corkies or with bait on a bobber. was using a 1 oz with sanshrimp running about 7' deep. i intend to try spinners and spoons later in the week- as the river is all of 15 minutes from me its not a burden to run out there when the mood strikes. i am pretty familiar with the area i go to. there have been some changes that i need to figure out, but the corner still seems to be the spot.

here's another wondering of mine... it seems that when the fish are jumping and rolling they are not really biting. is that my imagination?

F
FishSchooler
Shadelady said:
here's another wondering of mine... it seems that when the fish are jumping and rolling they are not really biting. is that my imagination?

That's what it said in "my" book too.:think:

M
Mike123
Shadelady said:
ok i have been doing some reading and thinking- yep i have a headache now. ok so i tried the Salmon river yesterday down at mile marker 9 and caught my limit of bullheads... whoopie, also saw a guy catch a wild coho.

what i am wondering is this... if i absoutely positively need to catcha salmon, where would my odds be the greatest- i am finally accepting the fact that the Salmon river is not the best place (just closest to me).

any and all help is appreciated.

How desperate is desperate? Does quality of fish count? Or just the fight?
I'm sure Trout bassier knows a spot that you could get a fish!
Do you have a boat? If you got a boat you can go get a salmon right now!
I'd try plunking on the Columbia.

F
fishnquest
Mike123 said:
How desperate is desperate? Does quality of fish count? Or just the fight?
I'm sure Trout bassier knows a spot that you could get a fish!
Do you have a boat? If you got a boat you can go get a salmon right now!
I'd try plunking on the Columbia.

I was gonna say, maybe TB can take you fishing:D

L
luv2fish
Shadelady said:
i tend to fish either with corkies or with bait on a bobber. was using a 1 oz with sanshrimp running about 7' deep. i intend to try spinners and spoons later in the week- as the river is all of 15 minutes from me its not a burden to run out there when the mood strikes. i am pretty familiar with the area i go to. there have been some changes that i need to figure out, but the corner still seems to be the spot.

well it all depends...you don't need all the fish to bite...but that ONE biter....when fish are jumpin it seems like they are teasing but i've had both side of stories....i've pounded hole for hours and there's fish jumping but not hitting anything....but then one day with my freind....he was the only one to hook fish where fish were jumping everywhere and there were atleast a dozen ppl pounding the hole including me..i guess he had the right "thing" for'em.

i'm pretty positive that there ain't that many fish yet....cuz salmon river actually washes fish out before any other coastal system ...besides klaskanine....can't recall but i think i'm right...i'm talkin bout fall nooks:think:

A
Anyfishisfine
Shadelady said:

I have head they do not, however Monday when I was fishing they became very active, and I hooked a Chinook and banked a steehead, while the guys on each side of me each got 1 or 2 all within an hour while the fish were jumping.

Today I was there during the same active period, and nobody caught a fish other than trout.

F
fishnquest
...funny how that works. I guess thats why we call it fishing.

F
fishsauce
Shadelady, don't stress yourself over it too much. I think I may know where you were fishing. I was camping out at Beverly Beach last weekend and had to get a line wet. There are some fish in there, but I hear that it is too early. Wait for the rains to bring in more fish and that's when you should go. One of my rule of thumbs is to only go fishing when the fish are there, you are just making yourself more frustrated if the fish aren't there. Give yourself a better chance by waiting until there are more fish. It's too early.

K
Kodiak
Shadelady said:

It really all depands on how they are jumping. If they are full on air born then they are displaying a behavior where they are not biting. If they are "slashing" at the surface that is a fish I am going to target. It is still early yet, and the water temps are fairly warm. I would certainly stick with hardware right now. after some rain and the full moon tides with things cooling off abit the fish will show. If you have access to a boat there are fish in on the Siletz from Chinook bend to Ballard acres. For the moment I would focus my attentions there.

W
wormosa
Kodiak said:
It really all depands on how they are jumping. If they are full on air born then they are displaying a behavior where they are not biting. If they are "slashing" at the surface that is a fish I am going to target. It is still early yet, and the water temps are fairly warm. I would certainly stick with hardware right now. after some rain and the full moon tides with things cooling off abit the fish will show. If you have access to a boat there are fish in on the Siletz from Chinook bend to Ballard acres. For the moment I would focus my attentions there.

chinnok bend and ballard acres will definetly light up, esp in the honey hole area

it is where i caught my chinook 2 weeks ago...i prefer catching compared to fishing i must say lol

W
wormosa
Shadelady said:

i have to agree with you, when the salmon are rolling they do not bite, i have tried and tried, when the fish are jumping, my best guess is they are running to the hills because of seals.... what i have seen is the salmon jump atleast a foot out of the water, atleast on the siletz they do..

S
Shadelady
ok well i went ahead and went back out again today- caught a few smolts. the another thing i am trying to do is learn techniques... 2 days ago i worked a bobber and sand shrimp and put the hurt on the bullheads, today i threw a spinner and got the smolts. so in all i am not really disappointed (ok, thats a fib) but i am learning what works... my next wondering is do the same / similar techniques work on the larger fishes? i hope so.

how far up the Siltez are we talking about? i have found i am not nearly as compfortable fishing the Siletz... i am trying to get over it, but it slow going. i ran into a fellow in Bimart who hooked a Chinook (i think) it was his first; he got it out of the Siletz in a boat near Coyote... i like Coyote, so mebbe i'll try there. i dont have a motor that i trust for my boat yet, so thats out for now.

i really appreciate all the feedback, keep it coming.

G
GDBrown
Coastal Chinook

Coastal Chinook

One thing I've learned over the years is that the Coastal river only get fishable after two or three good rains. The river needs to rise and fall a couple of time so the fish can find them from the bay. Once they start coming in they will come with each tide change. They are most likely to be on the Bite as the river level is falling after a good rain. (they call these freshets, I think) If you watch the river levels online and can go when the level starts to drop you can have fun!!!
A couple years ago I caught two 27 lbs'ers at Mills Bridge on the Wilson in about two hours. Now that's a great day of fishing