Desolation 250X Hunt packing list help

N
NWFLYER
Hey guys need a little help building a packing list for a hunt in eastern oregon in the above mentioned unit. I have spent the last few years in Colorado and before that Arizona (love the military ;) )

I grew up on the coast and decided its time to do another hunt in Oregon but on the East side.

Any advice on what to pack would be great. Please keep in mind I will be flying, but meeting my father and some friend out there who still live on the coast.

Thanks again.

Z
ZjohnsonJC
are you an oregon resident? active military?
Zach

N
NWFLYER
Yes and yes.

Z
ZjohnsonJC
then why may I ask are you hunting desolation? you can get any elk tag accept Mt Emily, Walla Walla, and Wenaha. There are much better units than desolation you can hunt. What kind of hunting do you like to do?
Zach

N
NWFLYER
I have been hunting for a very long time. Hunted throughout Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, and Montana. Desolation is one of the few units we have only got a couple times. I have never hunted it (because of the military) but my dad has, and pulled a very nice 6x6 out of there. He has been out scouting and with what the cameras are bringing in we should be in for a good hunt. Don't really want to take this discussion down a road of where to hunt, as its going to vary based on personal preference. My reasons are personal and that I have seen some amazing animals come out of there. It sounds like a tough unit and lots of hard work that most people don't want to put into it.

Trying to get back on track What I am looking for is a typical pack set that guys have seen good success in the area with. Dress, kit, boots, I have a ton of high plains, high desert hunt stuff that worked here in Colorado I just for the life of me forget what the vegetation out there is like.

And before it happens, yes my dad is giving me advice. Just looking for a little more and maybe pick up some things he may not be picking up on.

Z
ZjohnsonJC
Really it depends on what kind of hunting you are going to do. Do you like to hike in the back country? multiple day pack outs? or are you staying close to camp? The gear you used in Co is going to work just fine and you will find a lot of similarities between the country you hunted there with what you will see in desolation. If you have some good spots scouted out that is great, I was merely suggesting that you choose a hunt with fewer tags and more elk. Sounds like you already know where you are going so let me know a bit about the kind of hunting you are doing and I'll try to suggest something to fit that.
Zach

also: are you a pilot?

N
NWFLYER
It will be hike in and out everyday from camp. Not sure the distance daily. I have a couple eberlestock packs that I was thinking of using. I have the gunslinger and operator. Leaning towards the gunslinger as its lighter and less cumbersome. Really will leave most everything at camp besides kit (bino's, weapon, etc.), daily change, and a few amenities. The thing i know I need is a solid pack out bag, if you have some recommendations that would be awesome. My apologies for any confusion.

M
muskieguide
Can't remember the name of the pack, but you can call Sportsmens warehouse and find out, but it's a packboard/daypack combo that is very nice with quick detach pack so you can pack first load out while carrying the rest. Goin back to pick it up in a week or so. They only have a couple that fit that description and either one will work great over there.

Z
ZjohnsonJC
When I'm day packing for elk, things I'm sure to bring. In addition to the obvious. Hatchet: for the animal not wood. Compass: used in the woods to hold a bearing and save looking at the gps so often. Enough 550 cord to hang quarters and assorted other uses. I usually roll with a camelback as well if I plan on moving that much.
PM me what you do in the military
Zach

R
_RJ_
Kifaru Nomad is the pack I use on a bikini frame. I use it as a day pack and meat hauler. Contents: First Aid kit, space blanket, compass, map, rain gear, whistle, rope/550 cord, LRF, 4 liters H2O, lunch, knife, sharpener, headlamp, appropriate spare batteries, reflective marking tape, game bags, if a lot of hiking extra socks. I'll be across the middle fork in the North Side unit for archery.

There's some transitional terrain out there meaning it goes from golden tan rolling hills to thick timber. Open pockets with lone pines and juniper trees. I wear old school Danners but have fell in love the Under Armour Wall Hanger boots. Cabelas has them.

Binos and spotting scopes can be useful. I don't use them generally. If I was rifle hunting, maybe. For water bottles I always use something that has a filtering unit. Never run out that way. There's always a little water around. Be it troughs or springs.