Deschutes steel/trout trip late July Maupin to Macks Canyon

B
broncks4
Veterans of the Deschutes: I've been doing some research and welcome any and all guidance concerning my upcoming trip this summer. Here are my concerns.
1) is the water too cold to wade in just shorts if I decide to use a vehicle to access the river or, do I need to
have boots with neoprene waders??
2) if I rent a raft to drift, will I be safe with a standard rigid bottom raft and are there safe points
and warnings
to portage places like Shearer's Falls and similar places??
3) do I need a gun for cougars and bears if I'm camping along the river??

I'm sure there are a few of you rolling your eyes as you read this and thinking "What a ****in nube" but, I've learned from some very trying experiences that the only stupid question is the one not asked. I've fly fished in Michigan where I grew up but, it wasn't nearly as remote and I haven't familiarized myself with the river. I'm trying to avoid ruining everyone else's good time with the police or Nat'l Guard conducting a noisy search for two guys who failed to prepare. Yes, I have done a chart study and have read many threads. I'm hoping to have some of you raise to my attention things that may not be well documented and/or confirm what I've already read on the boards. Thanks in advance.

Mark

M
Modest_Man
How are you thinking of portaging around Sherars falls? The last boat take out before Shearers is at Sandy Beach and there are large signs there proclaiming that. I've never floated below Sandy Beach though.

You're much more likely to get killed by intoxicated tribal members than a bear or a cougar (very sad, but very true). Link Here My biggest concern is ticks, followed by rattlesnakes. I like to wear breathable waders (ticks and rattlesnakes!), though you could wet wade.

J
JonT
I'd chime in on all that I've learned fishing the Deschutes since living close to the river for the past few months, but I'm no Veteran.

B
broncks4
JonT - I would consider you a veteran compared to me and I welcome whatever info you have.
Modest_Man - Thank you for your input. That's quite comforting. I have something to go on now. I'll take a better look at my float plan.
Thanks folks.

P
perfectg03
1) is the water too cold to wade in just shorts if I decide to use a vehicle to access the river or, do I need to
have boots with neoprene waders?? - You'd be crazy to wear neoprenes out there. Not only are they incredibly hot, there is no need for them. The water is warm enough to wet wade. I wet wade during this time of year when the sun is out.

2) if I rent a raft to drift, will I be safe with a standard rigid bottom raft and are there safe points
and warnings - Not going to happen. Permits required to float and this is not the river to just rent and have yourself a good time. Stick to your car.

3) do I need a gun for cougars and bears if I'm camping along the river?? - No. You won't encounter anything other than drunk teenagers, ticks, the occassional rattler and lots of bees. Maybe a couple deer or a big horn.

No question is a stupid question. Late July is a great time to be on the Lower D. Crowds are fairly light and the fishing can be very good.

My advice would be to hike down from Mack's. There is a couple nice swings down there and good trout fishing around the island, you will see it.

Good luck!

B
broncks4
Perfect. Thank you for the feedback. I think a fly rod, a cooler and a Volkswagen ought to do it. It seems as the the BLM road/trail makes the river very accessible.

D
DrTheopolis
I', a long way from a Deschutes veteran, but having fished it a few times over the years, a few days and a car/truck are all you need. There's so much water to fish, it's mind-boggling. In a car, the bumpy roads will be slow going, but you'll get there. Mecca Flats, Mack's Canyon, even way down low, you'll find a ton of water to fish.

J
JonT
You can drive from Maupin to Mack's Canyon and fish the entire way.