Deschutes River???

F
fishing_mission
Any body ever rented rafts and did an overnight trip on the Deschutes ? Planning on mid June trip for part of my freinds bachelor party. Any information about renting rafts or where to put in take out for just a one night trip would be great. Going to be about 8 of us looking for a diy float. Experience on rowing the rogue, applegate, clackamas and south santiam.

Thanks

J
JeannaJigs
I don't know anything about renting rafts, I think the majority of outfitters though don't allow DIY. That said warm springs to trout creek has some camping spots, but not many and you can only camp in designated and marked camp sites. Mid June is peak season though and you will struggle to get one of those spots unless you're paddling in the dark of morning midweek to beat the crowds. You also need a boaters pass as its a limited entry area now (thank god, 400 boats plus a day is excessive)

Someone else might have better info about raft rentals. You might just Google it and make some calls to well known outfitters in the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

F
fishing_mission
Thanks Jeanna. I found two different places that allow for DIY overnight trips but was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience before I started calling around. Would sometime in July be less busy ?

O
OnTheFly
Up until two years ago, I floated the Deschutes for 20 years straight. What would you like to know?

F
fishing_mission
OnTheFly said:
Up until two years ago, I floated the Deschutes for 20 years straight. What would you like to know?

Mainly what would be a good section to run for a two day 1 night trip.

O
OnTheFly
There are two, two day float choices; the lower and upper sections. The lower section starts at Buck Hollow just below Shears Falls and you float down to the takeout at Haritage Landing just up river from the Colombia. There are no big rapids along this stretch except for Rattlesnake Rapid just before the takeout. It's a nice float through awesome canyon scenery. There is camping along the way and some with restrooms that self compost by a solar powered system. Kinda cool. However, regulations dictate you will still need to bring a porta_potty. I'll get to the shuttle service later.

The upper section starts at Trout Creek and the takeout is White Beach below Maupin. The rapids in this stretch include White Horse, Buckskin Mary, Wapinitia, Box Car, and Oak Springs to name a few. There is even a body surfing rapid just below the White River. Camping is available but somewhat limited but unlike the lower section, camping is done on the east bank only unless you want to be run off or pay a fine by Warm Spring Indians.

IMO, River Trails is the best and most convenient raft outfit in Maupin. We gave our business to them for 20 years and never had a bad time. Not only do they have good equipment but they will drop off and pick up your rafts and provide dry bags and straps. There is a car shuttle service that works with River Trails but you will need to arrange details with them. JoAnn at River Trails has their number.

If you want a more simple plan that provides more action and less hassle this is what I would do for your bachelor run. Assuming this is a weekend gig, arrive Friday and camp anywhere between Harpham Flats and White River campground. Party all night Friday and arrange to have River Trails drop off your rafts Saturday at Harpham Flats (RT operates a shuttle bus between their shop and Harpham but most likely you will need to shuttle some cars at both ends yourself) then float down to White Beach. Party again Saturday night and do the whole thing again on Sunday. After you pack up camp on Sunday, drive into Maupin, and, while you're eating ice cream, look at the pictures they took of you going over wapinitia, box car and oak springs. By this time it should be about 4:00 and you should make it home by dinner.

Remember, Oar rafts carry gear and 4 people comfortably and paddle rafts can hold 8. Let me know if you need advice going through any of the rapids.;)

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Almost forgot, arm yourselves with water cannons and 2 gallon buckets and arrange to do this trip on the hottest time of year. Trust me.

hobster
hobster
OnTheFly said:
There are two, two day float choices; the lower and upper sections. The lower section starts at Buck Hollow just below Shears Falls and you float down to the takeout at Haritage Landing just up river from the Colombia. There are no big rapids along this stretch except for Rattlesnake Rapid just before the takeout. It's a nice float through awesome canyon scenery. There is camping along the way and some with restrooms that self compost by a solar powered system. Kinda cool. However, regulations dictate you will still need to bring a porta_potty. I'll get to the shuttle service later.

The upper section starts at Trout Creek and the takeout is White Beach below Maupin. The rapids in this stretch include White Horse, Buckskin Mary, Wapinitia, Box Car, and Oak Springs to name a few. There is even a body surfing rapid just below the White River. Camping is available but somewhat limited but unlike the lower section, camping is done on the east bank only unless you want to be run off or pay a fine by Warm Spring Indians.

IMO, River Trails is the best and most convenient raft outfit in Maupin. We gave our business to them for 20 years and never had a bad time. Not only do they have good equipment but they will drop off and pick up your rafts and provide dry bags and straps. There is a car shuttle service that works with River Trails but you will need to arrange details with them. JoAnn at River Trails has their number.

If you want a more simple plan that provides more action and less hassle this is what I would do for your bachelor run. Assuming this is a weekend gig, arrive Friday and camp anywhere between Harpham Flats and White River campground. Party all night Friday and arrange to have River Trails drop off your rafts Saturday at Harpham Flats (RT operates a shuttle bus between their shop and Harpham but most likely you will need to shuttle some cars at both ends yourself) then float down to White Beach. Party again Saturday night and do the whole thing again on Sunday. After you pack up camp on Sunday, drive into Maupin, and, while you're eating ice cream, look at the pictures they took of you going over wapinitia, box car and oak springs. By this time it should be about 4:00 and you should make it home by dinner.

Remember, Oar rafts carry gear and 4 people comfortably and paddle rafts can hold 8. Let me know if you need advice going through any of the rapids.;)

Answers like this are what make this forum so cool. Excellent and informative. I'm heading out to Bend for my b-day in late june for some fishing, my first time out there ( lived here 20 years and never fished around Bend - CRAZY!) Might shoot you a p.m. around then :thumb: Looking forward to it!
i

Reactions: OnTheFly
S
steelhead_slayer
I 2nd river trails. Used to float the river ever year and used them. Fish's shuttle service is a good option to have your vehicles shuttled down river for you. If you are doing the upper stretch it pays to have someone who has done white horse rapids or to do some research before going.

Another thing I would like to say is that no one has died on the Deschutes while wearing a life jacket.

F
fishing_mission
Awsome information. Looks like I'm going to be making some calls. Thank you!!!

Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
steelhead_slayer said:
Another thing I would like to say is that no one has died on the Deschutes while wearing a life jacket.
Is this true? I don't know of anyone foolish enough to attempt Oak Springs without a PFD but somebody drowned there one year I was there.

D
DrTheopolis
Heard a story several years ago from some friends who did a multi-day float. They said some newbies didn't pull out before Shearars. One got churned out, the other stayed at the bottom for a while, but I believe they were wearing PFDs.

OK, extreme example, and Mr. Darwin played a hand in it.

But PFDs on the Deschutes are more than a good idea.

F
fishing_mission
DrTheopolis said:
OK, extreme example, and Mr. Darwin played a hand in it.

But PFDs on the Deschutes are more than a good idea.

I agree 100%. Mainly on every river I will wear or have a PFD within an arms reach.

D
DrTheopolis
I can be pretty lax about PFDs, but 3 places I'll always have one on at all times: The ocean, the Columbia, and the Deschutes.

M
Modest_Man
Where is White Beach? Is that Sandy Beach (the last takeout before Sherars)? I'm guessing they're one and the same but I guess I've never heard of it as White Beach.

I also wear a PFD at all time on the Deschutes.

O
OnTheFly
Modest_Man said:
Where is White Beach? Is that Sandy Beach (the last takeout before Sherars)? I'm guessing they're one and the same but I guess I've never heard of it as White Beach.

I also wear a PFD at all time on the Deschutes.

Sandy Beach. My bad.

J
JonT
PFDs are required (not to wear), but to have one per person in the boat. You have to get a float permit on the Deschutes ahead of time and you cannot fish from the boat. Lots of regs. Some necessary.