Deschutes River trout

F
fishfinder
I am heading out to Deshutes river on thursday in the morning.
Ive never fished the Deshutes river before
What kind of flies or spinners should I use?
Can I use bait?
Where should I fish on the river?

Thanks

S
StonedFly
Where are you fishing at on the deschutes? Theres different techniques for different places on the river.

G
GoneFishin2134
What part of the Deschutes you headed to? I usually Fly fish the river. As for spinners Panther Martins seem to be what works well for me. All Black/black spinner or Green/silver or brass spinner. Size 0-3. Though I have had very good luck with White Rooster tails, White/Black dots. 1/8th size.

If you are Fly fishing green Hackles, and grey stone flies are what produce for me. I use grey/white Parachute Adams a lot there too.

There is a plethora of Fish in the Deschutes, I usually catch Jacks and Redsides. With the occasional Steely or Coho. I Fish Maupin, and the lower river. I have never been to the Deschutes by Bend.

No bait is allowed! Artificial lures&Flies only. Good luck!

F
fishfinder
Im heading to deshutes by warm springs
I will fish it in the morning.

G
GoneFishin2134
Maupin is close to Warm Springs? Not sure if that is where your headed, but that is where I would go. It is definitely worth it. If that is whereabouts your going. Drive along the river headed up stream, for about 10 miles. Once you get off the asphalt keep driving until your see a Gravel/rock boat launch on the right hand side. Park there and bank fish all the way down river. You could bank fish quite a ways, pretty much back into town.

The whole river is great fishing! I went in May during the Salmon fly hatch, consistently C&R 22" Redsides all day, and one 14" Jack Salmon!

F
fishfinder
Is the river C&R only?

G
GoneFishin2134
Yes, I believe it is.

Irishrover
Irishrover
fishfinder said:
Is the river C&R only?

The river has a two fish limit. It's a slot limit and the fish must be between 10" min to 13" max. As a practical matter I just C&R for trout on that river. You can also retain fin clipped stealhead, non clipped steelhead must be released.

If you are going to fish around the Warm Springs area and you intend to flyfish I'd go with nymphs like Kaufmans stone fly with a pheaseant tail nymph as a dropper. One of my faviorite flies over there is a small softhackle with a geen body and very little hackle. On top use a dark elkhair caddis. You can fish south of the bridge or go to trout creek or Mecca flats. Those areas are close to my Culver hang out. But GoneFishin2134 has a good piece of advice, the Maupin area from my piont of view is a much better place to fish. So I'd listen to him. If you go north or south from Maupin you have pleanty of public access and you won't have to listen to the traffic on Hwy 26. The other great advantage to fishing the Maupin area is the proximity of the Oasis a fantastic place for a great cheesebuger and a beer after a day of fishing.;)

I
I Grade
I just fished it last weekend. It was gorgeous. I used spinners (brass #2s, some green #1s) and caught a couple trout above Shearers Falls about 3 miles. I caught way more whitefish than trout however. It isn't C&R, but leave your bait at home!

I Grade

T
Trask
I fish warm springs to trout creek 2-3 times a year during the summer. If your nymphing, i've had a lot of sucess the last couple years on size 16 red copper johns. The green soft tackle and flash back pheasant tail are always good to.

If you want to catch whitefish throw on a prince nymph =P

B
Bass Ackwards
does anyone know if there is good fishin in the deschutes around redmond?? Or is the best fishing in the lower river?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Bass Ackwards said:
does anyone know if there is good fishin in the deschutes around redmond?? Or is the best fishing in the lower river?

That section of the river is not the best of places to fish in my opinion. I'll venture down to Tetherow crossing and Lower Bridge from time to time, but I have no elusion of catching a lot of fish. Lower Bridge is a beautiful place and it's fun to get out the fly rod and try to entice one of those trout to take your fly. The river south of Bend is much better as is the river north of the Warm Springs Bridge. It's that middle section that not quite as good as the other parts.

Last edited:
B
Bass Ackwards
Irishrover said:
That section of the river is not the best of places to fish in my opinion. I'll venture down to Tetherow crossing and Lower Bridge from time to time, but I have no elusion of catching a lot of fish. Lower Bridge is a beautiful place and it's fun to get out the fly rod and try to entice one of those trout to take your fly. The river south of Bend is much better as is the river north of the Warm Springs Bridge. It's that middle section that not quite as good as the other parts.

Good to know. Thanks a lot