Deschutes river (salmonfly hatch)

troutdude
troutdude
Gee thanks Dave.

I always wanted to wipe the drool OFF of my monitor!

T
Throbbit _Shane
[YOUTUBE]HfWwEyYxmxk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

V
Van
That is Jakob Lund and the Salmonfly Syndicate. For those that dont know, Jakob is the manager at Kaufmann's Streamborn and a great instructor as well.

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
Nice Video

Nice Video

That is a great video! Every time I look at one I end up spending half an hour or more on YouTube.... wasting time that I could be using to fish!:shock:

I'll be going over to the "D" more this year. :pray:

When does the salmon fly hatch usually start? Or can you fool them even when the hatch is not going on using a salmon fly?:think:

GD

V
Van
Early May, iirc. I too am soo eager for the Salmonfly hatch i can hardly stand it. I have a large fly box full of various Salmonfly flies. The wife bought me a new Sage Flight 5 wt for X-mas and i paired it with a Bauer reel. I am geared and chomping at the bit....

B
bigsteel
early may would be correct,,last year it was way early though,so it just depends,but when your standing in the river next to a 4 inch salmonfly you are in heaven.last year was incredibe,me,lilsalmon,onthfly,irishrover and eggs were camped at trout creek and you could just see the hatches go off like crazy,,,,jim even made me think he ate one.....

G
GDBrown
I have been there before while the hatch was on, but it was years ago and I could not remember just when it was. Great fun when you hit it just right. I'll be doing a little camping over there this year.

B
bigsteel
Throbbit _Shane said:
[YOUTUBE]HfWwEyYxmxk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

thanks shane,i suck at posting the whole video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O
OnTheFly
Nice video especially the rise and take. Yeah....last years trip to the D was awesome. Those salmon flies are huge and I'll never get used to them crawling down my neck. They're so big, when they fly they look like small humming birds. (I'll never be able to do that illusion again Dave...you know me to well now.)

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome video, ive watched it many times their videos are pretty sweet! i hope i get to go there this summer!!

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
I can't wait to hit the D also....I remember standing in the water and the grass behind me sounding like it was alive.....it was....with the salmon flys.....flying down the shirts and hitting us like kamikaze pilots....yessssss

brandon4455
brandon4455
those things are beasts.. no wonder the fish there are so fat, and the fact that almost all of them are released lets them grow even longer! i can feel that big arse redside on the end of my line.. just slamming a dry fly

M
markasd
I hit that about 8 years ago - WOW! Fishing those huge bugs - the sound they make wizzin' by... I haven't been able to get back to em though - coastal summer steel ALWAYS haunting me...

My experience was those fish really key in on the hatch - if those salmon fly arent hatching by the ton, they dont seem to want em? Only really hit it for that one season though...
mark

O
OnTheFly
Surprisingly, the fish didn't seem to go after the huge amount of salmon flies. I even grabbed up a big handfull of them and sent them downstream and none were hit. We caught most of our fish with indicators and Hare Ear. Go figure.:confused:

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Surprisingly, the fish didn't seem to go after the huge amount of salmon flies. I even grabbed up a big handfull of them and sent them downstream and none were hit. We caught most of our fish with indicators and Hare Ear. Go figure.:confused:
thats intresting.. what were the conditions jim?

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
thats intresting.. what were the conditions jim?
Sunny, warm, not windy, salmon flies in your face half the time, but no rising fish. All fish taken were subsurface unless bigsteel, lilsalmon, or eggs got one the next day after I left.

F
FishFinger
Circa 1982 Macks Canyon
DSCN2078.jpg

"soft but satisfying"
DSCN2076.jpg