Deschutes River question

I
I Grade
I am headed out to the lower Deshutes River next week and I was wondering if anyone has been out there recently or has been out there at this time of year in years past. I have never fished it for steelhead. I know that you can't use bait on that river, so what sort of offerings are productive for a drift/spin fisherman. Any help is welcomed!

I Grade

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have fished the lower Deschuts for steelhead but it was later in the year. I used a 7wt fly rod and wet flies. Like green and white butt skunks, the street walker, and Mack's Canyon. I did not catch any steelhead but did land a nice bull trout north of the Warm Springs bridge. This time of year and with the weather we are about to have you may find quite a few rafters drifting down the river. I have not fished the Deschutes with spinners or spoons but I have seen a number of folks on the river who do. So it not just a fly fishing show. Good luck out there.

M
mic
Deschutes

Deschutes

#4 blue fox green or drift bober w/black jig

W
WorminIt
Corky + yarn works well and is cheap

J
JeannaJigs
I opt for 1/32 small all black jigs down there. I've used red/black and know people that have hooked up with red, but I've only hooked up with black. Though each day, and each fish differs. Good luck.

O
OnTheFly
Don't forget about the 6 dollar drift boat...A side planer.:think:

I
I Grade
Thanks for all the great insight. I am sooo looking forward to this trip next week. Where do I get those 'micro-jigs' you guys are chatting about? I am in Portland and I know most of the big name shops here, but they seem to only have the 1/8oz and larger ones on hand. I have resolved to learn to use jig and bobber this year. I have only used drift-gear and spinners sucessfully for steelhead, so I want to learn this 'new' technique for this low water spell that we are in right now. Any advice for a novice bobber enthusiast would be welcomed in this thread.

THANKS!

I Grade

J
JeannaJigs
I Grade said:
Thanks for all the great insight. I am sooo looking forward to this trip next week. Where do I get those 'micro-jigs' you guys are chatting about? I am in Portland and I know most of the big name shops here, but they seem to only have the 1/8oz and larger ones on hand. I have resolved to learn to use jig and bobber this year. I have only used drift-gear and spinners sucessfully for steelhead, so I want to learn this 'new' technique for this low water spell that we are in right now. Any advice for a novice bobber enthusiast would be welcomed in this thread.

THANKS!

I Grade
Contact Dan, aka BobberDown on here. He has a company called Cascade Jigs, in Portland.

Y
youngbuck307
yea dan knows what he is doing havet talk\fished with him in a while but i know his jigs work very well!!!

N
nowimdone
fishing is hot

fishing is hot

im a fly fisherman myself and a size six macks canyon with a freight train dropper has worked great for me. If you are looking to use hardware a green steele will catch em all day long. Good luck

F
FishSchooler
I Grade said:

THANKS!

I Grade

Micro jigs... steelhead stalker ones?

T
Troutier Bassier
Wow,
A 5 Minute fight with a Steelhead??
I thought it would be more of a like 2 Minuter, Not 5
Crap!
A Nice Coho must fight for about 10 Minutes?!?!?!
Awesome!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Well my fish, the first one, had a lot of heart plus I was using 4 lb test if I remember correctly. The second fish that Daniel caught was just under 14 lbs, I know they never look that big next to him but if I hold it up you could see. :D He did very well getting it in, in the time it took him. Again 6 lb test at the most and a very small micro jig. Just shows big fish don't need big bait.

And to answer your question about coho, no they don't take very long at all because in the Ocean you are using much heavier line and most of the time use salmon gear not meant for 8-10 lb coho more like kings. In the river is another story but then again for the most part you wont be using 4 and 6 lb test.